Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-12-2011, 02:47 AM   #99
SuperCarEnthusiast

Drives: N/A
Good day for automatic ZL1 buyers. GM did good. Hope they paint the carbon hood section the color of the color instead of leaving it unpainted. Or they go with the Jay Leno hood design with twin vents. I like the twin side vent design and they should go with the open rear vent design for the brakes too instead of the faux look it is now.
SuperCarEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:48 AM   #100
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I think if we look at what SLP has done with the ZL585 Camaro with regard to performance in their package, I would think that GM can also get the same or better results from an in house GM Performance package. Check motor-week to see what I'm basing my opinions on. Remember GM and SLP have done business in the past with the Fbody cars so I think that what SLP is offering is reliably in the direction GM Performance might be headed with ZL1 but with more sophistication and proven reliability built in. Heres the video from Motor-week:

I talked to Mr. FbodFather himself in Atlanta at the Fbody Gathering where he allowed me get up close with the ZL1 and he reassured me that this thing will be one hell of a performance car, BAR NONE. He said it would not be cheap but it would clearly cost lest than the CTS-V and that if you could not get a ZL1 when it goes on sale, then a car from SLP might be an option that would be more than suitable. He asked me what my track of choice would be, 1/4 mile or road coarse, I replied road coarse because the events lasts longer and I wanted to spend as much time as I could in her and still stay happily married. Scott stated that the ZL1 would be a road coarse terror. This is a video I took with my cell, excuse the quality of my videography skills but I was kinda giddy with excitement.

I would guess high 40K to low 50K for base price. I think I need to save more money for down payment and contact Becky D. @ Rodgers Chevy for assistance in my next purchase. I would love to have my car by the time the Camaro Fest III comes around next year.

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 06-12-2011 at 07:05 AM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:26 AM   #101
Mark A Collier Sr
Retired Army, 101st ABN

Drives: 2 SS/RS w/sunroof
At the F-Body gathering in Atlanta, Scott (Fbodfather) had the ZL1 on site and told all of us that it was going to be a "SNAKE EATER"! Now there is a whole lot of snakes out there... Cobras, Vipers... I can't wait to see the spin.
BORN ON 4 NOV 09 at 12:26pm VIN:63460~ HOME on 18 NOV 09!
"101BABY"
Mark A Collier Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #102
edz10ss

Drives: Silver Metalic Ice w/ black Stripes
IM very happy they decided to make the hp higher than 550. At first I just couldn't understand coming out with this car finally and it being less then the CTS V and a around the same as the GT500. For this car to be considered a winner against the Gt500, it has to smoke it in the 1/4 mile and on a road course. I positive it will do both. Hopefully, they make the interior a little nicer. I do believe that the Ford and Dodge cars have a nicer interior than chevy.
edz10ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #103
Orbit Orange

Drives: '04 Pontiac GTO & '09 Pontiac G8 GT
Good for GM listening to the customer with the automatic. Glad I registered and voted in the auto option thread. ZL1 automatic is now on my short list of future vehicles. It will be a little pricey new for me but a low mileage 1 or 2 year old used one will be attainable. Thank you GM for listening.
Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #104
Fat_Nick

Drives: 04 Pontiac GTO
Ok now do they mean "fiscal" or calender 1st quarter of 2012?

RK Sports Rear Valance|Banshee Hood|WSC SAP Grills & Front Fascia|VX Tails|Spoiler Delete|DDM HID|Alpine & JL Audio ICE|Monster Stage 3|GMM Street/LSS/Hurst|TxSpd-MS4 CAM & 100mm MAF|SLP UD Pulley|Custom Exhaust|Kooks LT|SNL Custom 4" CAI|PRC Stage 1 Heads|WRP & SSEEYA Ported FAST 92mm IMF|92mm FAST TB|Phoenix Tuned 474.4whp 410 ft/lbs

New Project Vehicle Coming Soon
Fat_Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #105
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
From my understanding, it's calender 1stQ 2012...putting our ability to order them within the next few months?
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #106
Fat_Nick

Drives: 04 Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
From my understanding, it's calender 1stQ 2012...putting our ability to order them within the next few months?
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! Thanks Blue

RK Sports Rear Valance|Banshee Hood|WSC SAP Grills & Front Fascia|VX Tails|Spoiler Delete|DDM HID|Alpine & JL Audio ICE|Monster Stage 3|GMM Street/LSS/Hurst|TxSpd-MS4 CAM & 100mm MAF|SLP UD Pulley|Custom Exhaust|Kooks LT|SNL Custom 4" CAI|PRC Stage 1 Heads|WRP & SSEEYA Ported FAST 92mm IMF|92mm FAST TB|Phoenix Tuned 474.4whp 410 ft/lbs

New Project Vehicle Coming Soon
Fat_Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #107
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Drives: 2006 Silverado 2500HD CC/SB LBZ
Well I thought about waiting for the ZL-1 (about 10 minutes). No doubt it will be an awesome car but here are my concerns for all of you talking prices. It's a first run of a new performance model. It sounds like it will be a limited production run (1 qtr 2012). It's already being talked about in the $50-55k range and it's not even close to production. For those of us older guys, remember when GM released cars like the ZR-1, GNX, etc for the first time? Sticker price and off the showroom floor price were two totally different numbers and not in a good way. Bottom line, if I was a betting man, for at least the first year, the ZL-1 is going to go for well over sticker. Will be interested to see how many anxiously awaiting it's release will actually be able to afford buying it. If you can good on ya. No hard feelings either way cause first and foremost I am a car guy so I can be happy modding an SS, driving a stocker ZL-1, or anything else for that matter. Excited to see it released but not going to in my garage anytime soon.

"Just like farmer engineering. Find the weak link and fix it, then find the next one." Salt Cat Racing
tadams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #108
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
I know; Here I go again being negative because someone doesn't agree with what I say or choice of words.
550hp, with an SC installed.... amazing. Happy now? I'll jus go along with everything and then everyone will be happy. The benefit to future ZL1 purchasers is if GM see's factual ranting like mine they may up the ante a bit, just like they did to announce 550+hp from 500hp. or increase that small 1900 to a 2300. No? Works in your favour doesn't it?

Again, has anyone heard about the price-tag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
The guys that have 550hp ZL1 will still have a warranty.... You will not!

To each their own!
Warranties are nice when you "need" them. I don't need one because when the parts go (if they do), I'll replace them with superior aftermarket parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltespd View Post
Never heard of 550hp being lame But we already know it'll have over 550hp. Also for a relatively minor expense I can add 100hp with a pulley, cai and tune.
I should have elaborated a bit more on my 550hp. lame comment. I was referring to what the ZL1 engine is capable of doing (especially without an SC installed). Unless of course the engine will be something less than the LS3. My intention was not to get peoples backs up expressing the fact that the ZL1 should be tuned to do much more than 550hp.
If an SS can do 550hp. with a stock engine, no SC and the ZL1 will be a much superior vehicle (most likely with forged internals), and an SC it just seems logical to me that 550hp. is a bit low. But, perhaps GM simply doesn't want to over set consumer expectations.

As for adding anything to it, that would void your much needed warranty (as some are eager to tell us SS owners), and there's no guarantees that an OEM version of the SC they use will have same options as an aftermarket SC (just change pulley and voila instant power).

But, of course because your mod'd ZL1 suggestions are much more positive than my negative facts nobody will bash you on this thread with rants about no warranty and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams72 View Post
Well I thought about waiting for the ZL-1 (about 10 minutes). No doubt it will be an awesome car but here are my concerns for all of you talking prices. It's a first run of a new performance model. It sounds like it will be a limited production run (1 qtr 2012). It's already being talked about in the $50-55k range and it's not even close to production. For those of us older guys, remember when GM released cars like the ZR-1, GNX, etc for the first time? Sticker price and off the showroom floor price were two totally different numbers and not in a good way. Bottom line, if I was a betting man, for at least the first year, the ZL-1 is going to go for well over sticker. Will be interested to see how many anxiously awaiting it's release will actually be able to afford buying it. If you can good on ya. No hard feelings either way cause first and foremost I am a car guy so I can be happy modding an SS, driving a stocker ZL-1, or anything else for that matter. Excited to see it released but not going to in my garage anytime soon.

Thought, it was only me that could see through all the smoke and mirrors. Guys like us are considered negative because we see in reality-vision.
I personally think the ZL1 with all it's hype and glory will not be a limited edition supercar, or it will be priced in the vette range, and if it is the following year or two then that will change. As with you I'm not hatting on anyone who will own one of these vehicles a matter of fact once I'm setup, I'm looking forward to going toe-to-toe with one on the track with my embarassing heavily mod'd, no warrany SS, with sub-standard low-grade aftermarket parts that don't meet GM's superior high standards. (sorry just repharsing the positive feedback, that's been directed to me in regards to my SS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark A Collier Sr View Post
At the F-Body gathering in Atlanta, Scott (Fbodfather) had the ZL1 on site and told all of us that it was going to be a "SNAKE EATER"! Now there is a whole lot of snakes out there... Cobras, Vipers... I can't wait to see the spin.
Same here. HP#'s alone they got the Viper SRT-10, but consideirng the Viper is mostly an engine on wheels would be interesting to see them both side by side.
As for the Stangs, I don't doubt the ZL1 will eat a few pony's in it's time.

Last edited by calbert1999; 06-12-2011 at 10:29 AM.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #109
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
$53,000-$60,000 with options.
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #110
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Thank you GM, you guys are awesome, now I have to decide what color ZL1 I want.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #111
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Nick View Post
Ok now do they mean "fiscal" or calender 1st quarter of 2012?
Its my understanding that GM's fiscal year matches the calender year
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #112
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
... As far as being being 'astounded' by the numbers ... for me, that would take a sub 4 second 0-60 and a 1/4 in the 12's ...I think those numbers are doable, given what the CTS-V accomplishes but I'd still be astounded to see them
......"your lack of faith disturbs me" (Darth Vader) LOL...

Last edited by OldScoolCamaro; 06-12-2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote