Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-21-2023, 08:09 PM   #57
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
They do come in 4 rim diameters and 13 total different sizes:

I don't see a spec for tread depth, but I can't imagine they would design these with less than the SCCA-minimum 7/32"

Now the other thing that might exclude them is 13.3.A.3:

That guide seems to require a login, so I can't tell if these are found there or not. I'm guessing not. So it may still be accurate that they won't be allowed this year...in Street classes.

However, the CAM rules don't require either of those stipulations. They just have to be UTQG 200+ and not on the CAM exclusion list. So Dave, it looks to me like you can use them today.
Sounds good to me, except the sizes are lacking as many of them are preorder with a November estimated delivery date. So once all of the sizes are available they would be legal for street classes.

The contingency races they chose seem to indicate they are going for best ax tire, but it doesn't seem like the CRS V2 is faster than Yoks or REs, so I remain skeptical on the Vitour tires, will definitely be using the REs already ordered. It would be nice to have a 315 if they can match the REs though, we'll see. It's also nice the current best tire is also the least expensive option, might be nice to keep it that way.
Old 08-22-2023, 06:45 AM   #58
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
There's a video in the link that I posted where they tested it against the Nankang CR-S. It was faster in a few areas. I don't believe that the Nankang is as fast as the A052 or the RE-71RS though. Maybe it is on certain surfaces. I don't have any direct feedback on the Nankangs, just going by what people tell me.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 11:31 AM   #59
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
There's a video in the link that I posted where they tested it against the Nankang CR-S. It was faster in a few areas. I don't believe that the Nankang is as fast as the A052 or the RE-71RS though. Maybe it is on certain surfaces. I don't have any direct feedback on the Nankangs, just going by what people tell me.
The comparison was against the old Nankang CR-S, it was filmed in December before the new Nankang started being produced. Nobody really knows how the new Nankang will fare on Lincoln concrete, I suppose we'll find out pretty soon.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 11:38 AM   #60
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
Nobody really knows how the new Nankang will fare on Lincoln concrete, I suppose we'll find out pretty soon.
Some do, I've heard they're not as fast as REs or A052s.
Old 08-28-2023, 11:41 AM   #61
BoilerUP

Drives: Cadillac ATS-V
Old 08-28-2023, 11:42 AM   #62
rotis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Some do, I've heard they're not as fast as REs or A052s.
Oh? I haven't seen anyone actually test them against REs or Yoks in Lincoln. I only know of one person who has run them on the surface, didn't compare it to any other tire, but decided he didn't like it so he's selling them.
Old 08-28-2023, 11:57 AM   #63
DaveC113

Quote:
Oh? I haven't seen anyone actually test them against REs or Yoks in Lincoln. I only know of one person who has run them on the surface, didn't compare it to any other tire, but decided he didn't like it so he's selling them.
Yeah, I'm sure data is quite limited. I trust the source but not sure there's really enough data to have much certainty. Only a couple locals have them and we only have asphalt venues, so while their results aren't fantastic it's a very different surface. We'll have a lot more data very soon though. Personally, I hope the 295/35/18 REs stay at the top of the heap for a while, they cost a lot less than CRS and A052 in larger sizes, seem to perform more consistently vs other choices, and also seem to do well on 12" rims.
Old 08-28-2023, 12:39 PM   #64
rotis

They've proven to be fast on Asphalt in >80deg temps. (2 out of the top 3 on index, against several national champions) I think they will be trash if it's cold/wet, regardless of surface.

I ran them this weekend on Asphalt and they were great, although they had some very curious characteristics.

From a dead stop they don't seem to hook at all, and thrust is poor while they are spinning. Once the spinning stopped, I was able to apply full throttle in 1st gear which is unusual for my car. The Yoks and Stones both hook much better, but I can't use full throttle in 1st gear on them. Lateral grip felt similar to Yoks, but they are more direct/responsive, with a better defined limit. Nowhere near as sharp as 295/35-18 stones stretched on 12's.

Far and away their most impressive asset is their ability to multitask. On Yoks if I aggressively trail brake with 3900 lbs the tires just turn to mush and give up. With these you can REALLY attack entries and exits. I'm a reasonably consistent driver, nearly always top 5 on index and my first event on the Nankang was my first overall pax win this year. I went even faster in fun runs once I figured out that they wanted a little lower pressure than Yoks.

They seem like a fantastic track tire. Whether they are any good at autox for locals is going to depend on your climate. We'll find out in about a week if they're any good for "serious business" autox. I'll be running them back-to-back against Stones at the Pro Finale.
Old 08-28-2023, 03:08 PM   #65
BoilerUP

Drives: Cadillac ATS-V
CR-S V2 look pretty competitive against the 71RS and A052...

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...-sportnex-crs/
Old 09-10-2023, 09:35 PM   #66
DaveC113

Quote:
They've proven to be fast on Asphalt in >80deg temps. (2 out of the top 3 on index, against several national champions) I think they will be trash if it's cold/wet, regardless of surface.

I ran them this weekend on Asphalt and they were great, although they had some very curious characteristics.

From a dead stop they don't seem to hook at all, and thrust is poor while they are spinning. Once the spinning stopped, I was able to apply full throttle in 1st gear which is unusual for my car. The Yoks and Stones both hook much better, but I can't use full throttle in 1st gear on them. Lateral grip felt similar to Yoks, but they are more direct/responsive, with a better defined limit. Nowhere near as sharp as 295/35-18 stones stretched on 12's.

Far and away their most impressive asset is their ability to multitask. On Yoks if I aggressively trail brake with 3900 lbs the tires just turn to mush and give up. With these you can REALLY attack entries and exits. I'm a reasonably consistent driver, nearly always top 5 on index and my first event on the Nankang was my first overall pax win this year. I went even faster in fun runs once I figured out that they wanted a little lower pressure than Yoks.

They seem like a fantastic track tire. Whether they are any good at autox for locals is going to depend on your climate. We'll find out in about a week if they're any good for "serious business" autox. I'll be running them back-to-back against Stones at the Pro Finale.
Any thoughts?

I managed to get 18x12s on, just barely. Now we'll see if the local discount tire will mount the 295/35/18 REs for me... If I can get them mounted in time I'll be able to try them out this Saturday.

Old 09-13-2023, 10:28 AM   #67
rotis

I ran the CRS V2 at the Pro Finale against Bridgestones, went fastest on the CRS.

I did a bunch of TNT runs with both tires and it was basically a wash. In the mid-70's it took 2 runs on the 25-sec TNT course before the CRS started working. At Nationals I was running 2nd heat and the forecast was cool with rain in the morning on Friday, so I decided to use the Bridgestones for Nationals itself.

In retrospect, I kinda wish I ran the CRS since I was more confident in how they felt. They feel like a slightly sharper Yokohama, which I am very familiar with. In the end, it wouldn't have made much difference. Driving errors relegated me to 3rd place, where I realistically should have had the pace for 2nd on either tire.

SD card issues lost my video and data from Thursday, but here is my fastest run on Friday- (which unfortunately was my first run)

https://youtu.be/hKsUVGogpg0

You can see how uneasy I am with all the little corrections.
Old 09-13-2023, 09:36 PM   #68
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I managed to get 18x12s on, just barely. Now we'll see if the local discount tire will mount the 295/35/18 REs for me... If I can get them mounted in time I'll be able to try them out this Saturday.
FWIW, our local tire guru (Dave Whitworth, proprietor of Solo Performance Specialties) says it's actually easier to mount the REs on wider rims like that. This is the same combo he runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis
In retrospect, I kinda wish I ran the CRS since I was more confident in how they felt. They feel like a slightly sharper Yokohama, which I am very familiar with. ...here is my fastest run on Friday...You can see how uneasy I am with all the little corrections (on the Bridgestones).
I'm not at your driving level, but I had the same experience with my Bridgestones (285/35/19 on 19x10/11s) at Nats (I was FS 96). I just felt like I couldn't go into anything with confidence, and where I tried to rely on them I was skating. I didn't get that feeling at Spring Nats on the same site on the same set of tires, but they were sticker-new at that event (first runs ever on them were four TnT laps the day before). They also didn't feel uneasy like that at the Peru National Tour or on my home asphalt lot two weeks before Nationals.

I don't understand what's going on with them, but it's making me dangerously close to trying the Nankangs. I would have to hold my nose to buy tires made in China for $60 more (each) than Bridgestones, but that may be where I'm headed. It was disappointing to trophy at both tours I entered and not at Nats.
Old 09-13-2023, 10:21 PM   #69
DaveC113

Quote:
I ran the CRS V2 at the Pro Finale against Bridgestones, went fastest on the CRS.

I did a bunch of TNT runs with both tires and it was basically a wash. In the mid-70's it took 2 runs on the 25-sec TNT course before the CRS started working. At Nationals I was running 2nd heat and the forecast was cool with rain in the morning on Friday, so I decided to use the Bridgestones for Nationals itself.

In retrospect, I kinda wish I ran the CRS since I was more confident in how they felt. They feel like a slightly sharper Yokohama, which I am very familiar with. In the end, it wouldn't have made much difference. Driving errors relegated me to 3rd place, where I realistically should have had the pace for 2nd on either tire.

SD card issues lost my video and data from Thursday, but here is my fastest run on Friday- (which unfortunately was my first run)

https://youtu.be/hKsUVGogpg0

You can see how uneasy I am with all the little corrections.
Nice driving, you kept it down to little corrections, looked good.

Congrats on the 3rd! Unbelievable Dave won by 1.4s. And a T4 in 2nd... I almost got a T4. It's cool Randy Pobst bought one, but I don't regret going SS 1LE.

Good to hear the CRS is a viable alternative to REs, they have larger sizes but they're expensive. I'm happy with that outcome and happy to spend less on tires. Given the Tire Rack test results on tire and rim widths, could be 295s stretched on 12s is as good or better than wider tires, and you'd need to go up to 13s to make the most of 315+.

I got the new REs mounted and took her for a spin, felt very direct, softer than Falken's compound for sure. There's very little clearance up front, but I think it'll work out. It's within a few mm in either direction.

A local Camaro autox'er has a set of JRZ 2-way coilovers for sale I'll likely buy, I think that'll be it for a while on car setup. I'll probably come to solo nats next year, the car will be pretty competitive at that point. The driver? Maybe, I've been improving but only having 3 runs in an unfamiliar setting is tough!
Old 09-13-2023, 10:28 PM   #70
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
I don't understand what's going on with them, but it's making me dangerously close to trying the Nankangs. I would have to hold my nose to buy tires made in China for $60 more (each) than Bridgestones, but that may be where I'm headed. It was disappointing to trophy at both tours I entered and not at Nats.
After being disappointed in how quickly my RT660s dropped off, I'm no longer using 200tw tires to drive on the street. I can get 2 behind the front seats and 2 on an old hitch-mount bike rack I converted into a tire carrier. It's more work but I'm cheap.