Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-26-2023, 12:59 PM   #1
1LECRUSH

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Total Newb Autocross

Hey guys, last Saturday I participated in my first ever autocross. I've been a car nut since childhood, had a few interesting cars over the years but then dove in head first with my 2020 SS 1LE earlier this year. Decided to go for it and enter my first autocross. Bone stock car with fresh Michelin PS4S on it and a driver that has never done any kind of performance driving beyond messing around on back road, never anything on a closed course.

First run of the day I put it in Track drive mode and left the traction control fully on just to get a feel for the car and learn the track. Ended up running 70.41 seconds.

https://youtu.be/kxJiiFD9ZIY

https://youtu.be/gq-HtP37D0M

Run 2 I finally figured out how to get to the PTM Modes after a bit of struggling while in line. Decided to try PTM Dry just to see. Dump the clutch like an idiot and the car nearly stalls. 68.93 seconds this run, almost 1.5 seconds off! Feeling pretty good.

https://youtu.be/jLhkoXImMZY

https://youtu.be/Y0kzpZNS4a4

Run 3 switch to PTM mode Sport 1, per suggestion from another 1LE owner running way faster than me, still in Track drive mode. Now I can feel the car moving and I'm starting to gain confidence. Holy crap this is fun! All the way down to 65.10! My goal for the day was to shave 5 seconds from my firs time so I'm ecstatic at this point. Still had a poor launch and knew I could make up a little time.

https://youtu.be/HLDonfvfGhI

https://youtu.be/x5dRXCMlWUU

Run 4 switch to PTM Sport 2, still Track mode. This is the setting I'll be starting in from now on. It allows just enough slip that I can learn the limits of the car and have more fun than I thought possible, but kept me from being stupid. Still botched the launch because I'm too excited and I didn't expect the car to interject as much. Ran a 61.67, holy crap! Another huge improvement, I'm legitimately so excited at this point.

https://youtu.be/YCN5xFiqx7E

https://youtu.be/Lcz5DH0ewq0

https://youtu.be/GYzZZRqWDP0

Almost called it a day because I had somewhere to be but decided to hop in line one more time. Run 5 ran in Sport 2 track mode again and finally slipped the clutch enough to get it off the line. Ended up running a 61.12. Fastest time of the day was 57.9 by a track prepped Audi on slicks.

https://youtu.be/kbL0ol3VbnM

https://youtu.be/8fY9y-FnTAw

Needless to say I'm hooked and have signed up for 2 more events next month and will probably do a third.

I know I have a ton to learn and am open to any feedback! Thanks guys.
1LECRUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 03:11 PM   #2
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
I love your enthusiasm and progress. As we discussed in PMs, I'll see you this Sunday. I'm wagering we can have you running in Track Mode with all nannies turned off by your last run. This is the way to go the fastest and learn the most in autocross events, and in a well implemented event there is no danger from exceeding the car's limits in a run. I don't necessarily advise turning all the nannies off for a track lap, and definitely not on the street, just in case anyone is wondering. Autocross use is different. Looking forward to meeting you!
Old 09-26-2023, 04:16 PM   #3
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Man you’re within 4 seconds of a damn near full prep car, that’s pretty damn good!!! I’ll like to play aggressive rock music an helps channel my excitement onto the track.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 06:20 PM   #4
clyde

Drives: broken
That course is set up way too close to some of those poles and it doesn't look like it needs to be that way.

The driving looked solid. Well done for a first event.

I'd suggest turning nannies off and Track mode (for linear throttle mapping) with shocks and steering both set to sport. The steering weight is purely preference, but I have not yet run on a surface smooth enough for Track shock settings to feel like a better choice than Sport.

Either way, you're not overdriving (or comically underdriving). Keep up with what you're doing and you should be right there pretty quick!
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 08:26 PM   #5
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
That course is set up way too close to some of those poles and it doesn't look like it needs to be that way.
Yes. Yes it is. That is a horror show in terms of safety and the course layout and markings. Just for the record, this event was not affiliated in any way with SCCA - it's an independent group. And for the reasons you just mentioned, I won't run with them. I'm actually the Chief Safety Steward at our local region, and I can promise that this course would never be allowed at one of our events (not that any of our course guys would ever try something like this).

Here's an example of our most recent SCCA regional autocross at the same site: https://youtu.be/-dDVx5uaAnY. Please try to ignore my mistakes! Tyler, the markings are really different than what that other organization used: think of a slalom skiing course with gates and slalom flags. Don't worry, it's a whole lot easier to see in person than on video, I promise.

Clyde, Tyler is entered in our regional event this Sunday. We'll get him some rides with other drivers and maybe some in-car coaching and he'll get to see a safe course and a properly run event along with some really good drivers. That said, I agree that he is already "getting it." I love that as his runs progressed, he was experiencing slip and then slide and not panicking, but rather working to make some sense out of it. This is a game of inches and straddling the limits of the car as much as possible, and he's already working toward that.
Old 09-30-2023, 10:18 PM   #6
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I start with PTM race, that adds a safety factor when adding power out of a turn, keeps from spinning out. I also do this because on the first run Im a lot more concerned about doing the course right, rather than speed. After this is hold down TC for 5 seconds to disable both TC and SC, I gain 1-2 seconds easy over my best run with PTM race. I do wish I could use sport or even comfort suspension to play with softer suspension, but the non-linear throttle screws too much with power application. Linear is way better. The car is quite good at autoX. I think im going to go down the path of lightweight 19s with RE71s next season. The ps4s dont suck though, mainly because the car is so good.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 10:20 PM   #7
JamesNoBrakes

And ive been impressed with SCCA and PCA, both run good safe events here. Not so much with our Lions Club.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
Old 10-01-2023, 07:40 AM   #8
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I start with PTM race, that adds a safety factor when adding power out of a turn, keeps from spinning out. I also do this because on the first run Im a lot more concerned about doing the course right, rather than speed. After this is hold down TC for 5 seconds to disable both TC and SC, I gain 1-2 seconds easy over my best run with PTM race. I do wish I could use sport or even comfort suspension to play with softer suspension, but the non-linear throttle screws too much with power application. Linear is way better. The car is quite good at autoX. I think im going to go down the path of lightweight 19s with RE71s next season. The ps4s dont suck though, mainly because the car is so good.
You can use soft suspension on track if you want to. You can just manually force it under settings on the screen.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 10:41 AM   #9
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I use sport suspension by changing in settings . Great for bumpy or off camber lots . I now get to run on a flat, grippy lot and leave it in track. Though a friend who is very fast and swears by sport on that lot now uses track, but says track as good but not faster.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 12:49 PM   #10
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
You can use soft suspension on track if you want to. You can just manually force it under settings on the screen.
Cool! I may have at one point, I know suspension wise I've gone back to track a lot just because more damping controls the chassis better, even on rougher tracks.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
Old 10-02-2023, 10:05 AM   #11
1LECRUSH

Thanks for the tips guys. Did an SCCA event yesterday, learned a ton more about the car. Did PTM Race from the 2nd run and it is definitely better than Sport 2. Dropped almost 5 seconds over 6 runs. Definitely was more challenging than the other event that I did. Looking forward to another one in less than 2 weeks!
Old 10-02-2023, 02:11 PM   #12
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LECRUSH View Post
Thanks for the tips guys. Did an SCCA event yesterday, learned a ton more about the car. Did PTM Race from the 2nd run and it is definitely better than Sport 2. Dropped almost 5 seconds over 6 runs. Definitely was more challenging than the other event that I did. Looking forward to another one in less than 2 weeks!
You did great, Tyler. Looking forward to seeing you at future events!
Old 10-02-2023, 04:25 PM   #13
1LECRUSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
You did great, Tyler. Looking forward to seeing you at future events!
Should have mention Msquared was nice enough to give me a ride in his car and show me what these cars are actually capable of, thanks again!
Old 10-02-2023, 07:30 PM   #14
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Turn all of the nannies off. The "track modes" that they develop for these cars are done at a race track. In autocross you'll be turning the wheel sharper, and there will be times when you want the rear to rotate around ie: break loose (slightly) and slide. If you have it in a factory track mode, and you crank the wheel around and try to get the rear to step out, the computer will think that things have gone terribly wrong, and usually pull power in a big way. Maybe others can chime in, but listen to the fastest guys that run a 1LE. They will have good input. On my 5th gen Z, even in the best race mode, it was always cutting power coming out of the sharp corners.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote