Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
Plainfield
2010, 2LT RS Transformer

Drives: '10 2LT Camaro & '70 Challenger R/T
Chicago/Illinois Drivers vs. Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, and North Carolina Drivers

I just got back from a road trip to see the Tennesse Smokies and the Smokie mountains. I am a huge Chicago Cubs fan, and have been visiting the minor league teams to see if our future looks any better then the present. I admit that I rarely go on long car rides, and I have never driven through other states before. But I really like my new car, so I thought it would be a fun ride.

As we left the Chicago area and got into Indiana I started to notice that people seem to drive differently. It seemed that people were so much 'nicer' if you can drive 'nicely'. This continued in Kentucky, Tennessee and North Carolina. For instance on the highways almost everyone drove in the right lane, unless they were passing another car and then they got back into the right lane. It sounds small, but I am so used to driving in the Chicago area where we all know about that rule, but rarely ever follow it.

Plus I loved the 70 mile speed limits in those states. It was a fun and peaceful ride from Indiana all the way to Tennessee and to North Caronlina when we went into the Smokie Mountains. Well, driving in the Smokie Mountains might not have been peaceful---but it was fun!!!

I did enjoy the road trip and tried to count the number of Camaros that we saw on the way. For the entire trip we only saw about 15 other Camaros. Plus, the Tenneessee Smokies swept the Lookouts in a three game series, which made the trip all the better.

I was slightly disturbed by the number of cars and trucks in those states that had vanity front license plates. I have to have a front license plate in Illinois, but WHY would anyone put on a vanity license plate if they didn't need to? All the cars looked so much better when you left the front alone.

When we were driving back last night, you could tell when we entered Illinois again. It was every man for himself on the highways. Pass on the left, pass on the right, weave in and out of the lanes. It felt like a video game.

I guess as someone from Illinois, and the Chicago area, this has always been normal, but after a few days away, it took a while to get used to again. It was like driving with a bunch of late crazy people.

Has anyone else noticed that people from the Chicago area seem to drive like idiots? This question is coming from someone in the area that really thought that was just how everyone drove.
Plainfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
Gforce8
WFO all the way

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS, Kalahari, 6 speed
The smokies are the best driving in the country especially deal's gap. And yes down south people are ususally nicer and yield more. But they are not necessarily better drivers. Try Florida
Old 07-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
VASCAR2

Drives: 94 Camaro, 10 1LT IBM Camaro
As a previous Illinois Trooper who worked D-15 (toll roads) and now lives in SE Illinois its been that way for 30 years or more. Last time I was in Chicago it was worse than when I worked there in the late 80's and early 90's. Its nice to live where people exhibit a little more common sense and patience. I guess I'm just one of those rural snobs but I really don't miss living in the big City. To each their own or you just have to make the best of what you have.
VASCAR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
crabapple

Drives: '12 ZR1
Being from Tennessee but traveling the US for work I can tell you that people are nicer down South. I don't say this because I live here it's just the truth. When I leave for a job I really have to get mentally ready for the traffic that I know I will face. I drive somewhere around 40,000 miles yearly and have seen it all.

When I am off work (which is 5 months a year) we travel to the Smokies quite often, usually two to three times a month. Very enjoyable drive being just 2 hours from the house.

Glad you enjoyed your trip down South and had a safe return home. We welcome you anytime.
crabapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #5
dtm4192

Drives: 2002 Camaro Z28
I've never been to Chicago or down south but here in Pennsylvania I've noticed the same thing. I live in a rural area and people are like what you described about with the people from the south. Then last winter I decided to go to the auto show in Philly. I never saw people drive so bad in my life. The one interstate I was on seemed like it might have been narrower than most (might have just been me idk) but it was crowded with cars and I was doing around 70 (speed limit was 55) and I had people blowing by me doing at least 90 if not more. Scared the sh!t out of me! I had a blast at the auto show but the driving within 20 miles or so of the city was terrible. I don't know if I ever want to do that again. I'll stick to the calm peaceful country roads, thank you!
dtm4192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
Ol'Fart
why slow down now?

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS L99
Chicago area drivers make me crazy! I learned to drive in Chicago traffic, never really bothered me until I moved away. Now several times a year I'm back to visit. If I didn't love my SS I'd take the train!

There are an awful lot of people in the Chitown area that just have to drive in the left lane. Doesn't matter how slow they're going, or if they're on the phone, they got that left lane all blocked up. Then when you flash them they act like you're doing something wrong!

BTW, I think turn signals are illegal in Indiana. Not so noticeable on the highways, but drive thru any town and hardly anyone uses them.

***not meant to bash or offend anybody, just one man's observations!***
Ol'Fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
chain777

Drives: Slow
I did a trip similar to yours, and it's a great drive.

Driving around Chicago-land sucks. People seem to do everything in their cars, but drive them properly. Rush hour is the worst. It's like a demolition derby, you *always* have to be on the lookout for people cutting you off, or not letting you over when you need to merge. And left lane hogs seem to take pride in clogging up the freeways. Oh, and the roads SUCK.

As you get away from the metro area, everything changes. People are much more laid back and friendly. I've lived in the Chicago area most of my life, with the exception of a few years when I live in southern Indiana (Newburgh). It was like night and day. I really loved the way people were down south, that whole "southern hospitality" thing.

I hope to be able to leave this area again in the future. I may have been born in the north, but I'm a southerner at heart.
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
Maa107
Someone give me a Camaro!

Drives: '09HHR
I agree with you, my family and I went to vacation to Florida and man all the way there it was a breeze to drive. Everyone stayed on the right lane unless they were gonna pass someone. But here in Chicago...
Old 07-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Check out Texas sometime. We've got 80mph speed limits on the highways in the rural areas

I think the "every man for themselves" is a universal big city thing anywhere you go, regardless of state. The rural areas tend to understand a little better, and are typically a little more laid back.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
Showtyme5

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
If you want "perfect" driving, go to Michigan. It's great. Everyone uses the left lane to pass then gets over. If you're catching up to someone in the left lane, they'll move over before you even have to slow down. It's a breath of fresh air for sure.

After living in N. California and Chicago, I still love going back to Michigan and the pleasant driving makes it all the better.

And yes, Chicago people drive like maniacs, especially near the city where it's basically a free-for-all, and you have to dodge people on all sides. Haha.
Showtyme5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:34 AM   #11
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce8 View Post
The smokies are the best driving in the country especially deal's gap. And yes down south people are ususally nicer and yield more. But they are not necessarily better drivers. Try Florida

LOL ... The funny thing about Florida, is the majority of the bad drivers are the transplants from up North ...
Old 07-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #12
Kycamaross
RED JEWEL inthe BLUEGRASS

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS, 01 S-10 Xtreme
Being originally from Southern California, and moving here to KY. 17 years ago, I would have to agree with the OP. My drives to Indianapolis, and to the smokies and some points southward are very nice indeed. As for Deals Gap.....The tail of the dragon is a mighty fun drive. Just watch out for the motorcycles..
Kycamaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #13
wangtangjf7

Drives: CGM LT/RS
I COMPLETELY AGREE!!!! I'm originally from Texas and i thought there were bad driver there, man, was i wrong. Chicago has the most inconsiderate and retarded drivers. People are always blocking intersections so you cant turn in, people driving on the wrong side of the street while there's incoming traffic (and these drivers are doing it on purpose so they can pass the car in front of them), and there has been multiple instances where i've seen drivers hit parked cars . I've never had road rage until i started driving in chicago. Especially the chinatown/Pilsen area.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #14
wangtangjf7

Drives: CGM LT/RS
Oh, and i also hate how the speed limit is 45mph-55mph on the highway. No wonder there's always traffic here because you know there's always those people that have to drive 10mph below speed limit.

And i hate meter parking and sales tax here..

Other than that...GREAT CITY!