Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #155
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Lingenfelter View Post
We did not remove weight from the ZL1. The rear seat was left out, along with a few other interion trim panels, because of the required roll cage. We did not want to cut any of the interior panels becasue at some piont we will remove the roll cage and return the interior to stock.

The track required a roll cage for anyone attempting speeds like this. We agree with this requirement, and would have put one in the car even if they didn't. You never know what could happen at these speeds. The car also has 5 point belts installed on the driver side.

If anyone wants to see the car in person, I will be driving it across the country as part of the Hot Rod Power Tour in June.
Thanks for the reply. I only asked because I wonder if the motor was the only thing that was modified to make the run. It's not like the back seat would make any difference. It just makes me wonder how Ford can claim 200 with an OEM car at 662HP when you had to add much more to make it there in the ZL1. I was questioning Fords claims more than your accomplishments.

motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #156
Mike@Lingenfelter

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
With the right conditions, I believe the GT500 will run 200 MPH. The Mustang has a rear axle ratio that will allow it to run 200 in 5th gear. Running 5th gear is more efficent that running 6th like we had to run. The Mustang has less frontal area, and that will let it run faster.

We could have changed the axle in our car to the automatic ratio and ran 5th gear, but that is another change. We did not want to change more than required to get the job done.

Track conditions were a big challenge when we were there. The track is not really set up for high speed runs. We were the first American car to ever run 200+ at this track. The track was built in 1959, and has never been repaved. They use it for tire development an durability testing. It is really rough. There are dips and bumps all around the track. It was 94 degrees when we ran the 202.67. The tempature made quite a difference in the amount of engine power available. The wind was blowing like crazy. We had a very strong cross wind to deal with. It was strong enough that it would force the car over 1 lane at over 190 MPH. All of these things cost speed. We believe given the right conditions, the car could run 4 or 5 mph faster.

It was not our goal to challenge the statement from Ford that the GT500 will run 200+. Our goal was to show the ZL1, with a couple modifications, would run it too.
Mike@Lingenfelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #157
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Lingenfelter View Post
With the right conditions, I believe the GT500 will run 200 MPH. The Mustang has a rear axle ratio that will allow it to run 200 in 5th gear. Running 5th gear is more efficent that running 6th like we had to run. The Mustang has less frontal area, and that will let it run faster.

We could have changed the axle in our car to the automatic ratio and ran 5th gear, but that is another change. We did not want to change more than required to get the job done.

Track conditions were a big challenge when we were there. The track is not really set up for high speed runs. We were the first American car to ever run 200+ at this track. The track was built in 1959, and has never been repaved. They use it for tire development an durability testing. It is really rough. There are dips and bumps all around the track. It was 94 degrees when we ran the 202.67. The tempature made quite a difference in the amount of engine power available. The wind was blowing like crazy. We had a very strong cross wind to deal with. It was strong enough that it would force the car over 1 lane at over 190 MPH. All of these things cost speed. We believe given the right conditions, the car could run 4 or 5 mph faster.

It was not our goal to challenge the statement from Ford that the GT500 will run 200+. Our goal was to show the ZL1, with a couple modifications, would run it too.
Thanks for the reply again. It's always nice to here it right from the horses mouth. Once again congratulations on that major accomplishment.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #158
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
I just love the way it sounds....

2012 ZL1 #213 M6 Black on Black
2013 ZL1 #2638 Convertible Auto
2010 Chevrolet Suburban
2011 GMC Seirra HD Denali
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #159
stymie

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I'd rather sacrifice some top end for more downforce at speed. Stability will undoubtedly get a tad hinky with the Shelby pushing 200mph & will probably exhibit extreme sensitivity to track smoothness & crosswinds... oOoPs!
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #160
97SS

Drives: 1997 Camaro SS
Cool vid, and thanks for posting.

Anyone else notice the suede falling a part on the dash? That is third one I have seen, with this issue.
97SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #161
Android42019
The Black Emerald

Drives: '17 ZL1, '08 Trailblazer, '11 1LTRS
In chevy we trust hahha
Old 05-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #162
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #163
capnkirk52
Banned

Drives: 10 GT500, Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post
I'd rather sacrifice some top end for more downforce at speed. Stability will undoubtedly get a tad hinky with the Shelby pushing 200mph & will probably exhibit extreme sensitivity to track smoothness & crosswinds... oOoPs!
What do you base this on? Why do you think the Ford will give up downforce?
capnkirk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #164
ChuckD

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
The coefficent of drag on a C6 Z06 is .34 vs the purported .36 of the 2013 GT500. The whole "brick vs wedge" arguement is overblown.

Also,the '13 GT500 has 115% more downforce at 150 MPH vs the previous GT500.
Drag coefficient is only part of the equation. It's a combination of frontal area and coefficient.

The Mustang is nearly 7" taller than the Corvette, so there is also a significant difference in frontal area.

ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #165
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgl View Post
That info was out a long time ago, like November when orders started. Ford could put the same info out if they chose to.
The GT500 model was reborn in 2007, and people in the market are already aware of what it can do, there is really no need for extra sales pitch other than the basic specs, etc. Right now, we know 662hp/631tq as facts. And rumors of mid 3sec 0-60 and mid 11sec 1/4 mile, and 7:30 ring time. I guess Ford is betting the new GT500 will do the talking.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #166
SIRLOIN
Banned

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
The GT500 model was reborn in 2007, and people in the market are already aware of what it can do, there is really no need for extra sales pitch other than the basic specs, etc. Right now, we know 662hp/631tq as facts. And rumors of mid 3sec 0-60 and mid 11sec 1/4 mile, and 7:30 ring time. I guess Ford is betting the new GT500 will do the talking.
Well, i really wish they would put some of these rumors to rest already. We all have been speculating long enough. Performance numbers have to be coming soon as the car is almost ready to be released...

Hopefully we won't have to wait till the car is released to start seeing some of these numbers. I believe we started seeing some of the ZL1's numbers a few months before deliveries if I'm not mistaken...
SIRLOIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #167
z28racer

Drives: 12 SIM 2SS/ RS Sinergy M6,GMC2500HD
The only problem I see with the Ford is that it will make one pass maybe at 200Mph but then the dash is going to lite up like Christmas and then straight back to the dealer!!! Rememeber its a FORD and reliability is not in their vocabulary!!!!
z28racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #168
rayray11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28racer View Post
The only problem I see with the Ford is that it will make one pass maybe at 200Mph but then the dash is going to lite up like Christmas and then straight back to the dealer!!! Rememeber its a FORD and reliability is not in their vocabulary!!!!
What a totally stupid statement! did you ever actually get out of high school?
rayray11 is offline   Reply With Quote