Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
I need a some outside advice!

So I currently own a 2011 Camaro RS LT, and soon may be given the opportunity to upgrade to an SS. My current Camaro is an automatic and im SERIOUSLY contemplating going with a LS3 instead of the L99. Reasons being the urge for modding and the "belief" that i would have fun driving a manual.

By modding i mean light mods, like CAI, and exhaust stuff. I know i could mod a L99 but the thought of having to get a Tune just to get rid of the annoying AFM discourages me because i don't want to kill the warranty right away. Problem is i've never owned a manual car. And Im wondering if my first manual should be one of my dream cars. I was taught mildly for a couple of days by a good friend but that was almost 7-8 years ago.

Where I live I wouldn't really call heavy with stop and go traffic. We have stoplights each a mile away from another. I say this bc i hear thats one of the downsides to a manual. So i guess what im trying to get to is; Is if you were in my position would you take the dive and get the LS3 and learn (or relearn) on it how to drive stick? OR be safe and go with the L99
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
You can drive a stick. The directions are right on the console or the knob...millions of people do it successfully on a daily basis!!...lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
dimster

Drives: Volvo V60 -12, 2SS/RS 45th EU edt.
Great choice on going with the LS3. However I would recommend you to rent a car with a manual transmission or borrow a friends car and "train" a little to get the flow going again.
It can't hurt and at least you will regain your confidence in driving a manual
dimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Since u dont have alot of traffic get the manual and these cars arent that hard to learn to drive in and have a soft clutch.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Get the M6 and don't look back. They are alot of fun to drive.

Just budget for a shifter replacement. I couldn't stand the factory shifter knob. Felt like I was shifting with a softball.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaytalsCamaro View Post
So I currently own a 2011 Camaro RS LT, and soon may be given the opportunity to upgrade to an SS. My current Camaro is an automatic and im SERIOUSLY contemplating going with a LS3 instead of the L99. Reasons being the urge for modding and the "belief" that i would have fun driving a manual.

By modding i mean light mods, like CAI, and exhaust stuff. I know i could mod a L99 but the thought of having to get a Tune just to get rid of the annoying AFM discourages me because i don't want to kill the warranty right away. Problem is i've never owned a manual car. And Im wondering if my first manual should be one of my dream cars. I was taught mildly for a couple of days by a good friend but that was almost 7-8 years ago.

Where I live I wouldn't really call heavy with stop and go traffic. We have stoplights each a mile away from another. I say this bc i hear thats one of the downsides to a manual. So i guess what im trying to get to is; Is if you were in my position would you take the dive and get the LS3 and learn (or relearn) on it how to drive stick? OR be safe and go with the L99
Test drive a stick. Ask to take it on a route you're worried about...See for yourself.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:

Based soley on the assumption......that safety come's first and you seem unsure............the L99 should do it.
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
Dr. Love

Drives: 2012
Quote:

Driving a stick is like riding a bike - easy to remember. Get the stick.

Dr. Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
usafboy

Drives: 2010 Silver SS/RS LS3
i was in the exact same mind set. haven't driven stick but really wanted to upgrade from LT to SS but due to the crappy trade-in value of these cars i would've been upside down so no go :( maybe in a couple years
Mods...so far: resonator/muffler delete, tinted everything, '13 shift knob/boot, bowtie delete, PFADT sway bars, CAI intake, Hurst short shifter, JBA cat deletes, BMR trailing arms/outer bushings/steering rack bushing, Bo White ported TB.
Rhino79 Dyno tuned...405 HP/399 TQ
usafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
I have a lt m6 and I wouldn't have it any other way. Even if I had an SS I would still get a M6. Where I live I don't start and stop much and perfer driving a manual over an automatic.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #11
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
I used to drive a '56 Chevy BelAir, 300hp/327, with standard trans in San Francisco. Hills and traffic kept you busy, but I wouldn't have traded to an auto for anything. Older now and I've gotten lazy, but the most fun is doing it yourself.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #12
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
If your planning on serious mods, the LS3 is the "Easiest" place to start. I say that because if you get really serious with the L99, you really need to do the valvetrain conversion which is a decent expense just to get to the level of reliability of the LS3.

The LS3 is supposed to be a bit stouter on the bottom end. I think this would only come into play if you plan on racing your car hard. For a street car, I think both cracks are more then up to the challange.

Personally, I think it comes down to if you want to shift all the time or not. I did not want to have to shift all the time and love the choice I made with the L99.

The L99 is also more efficent putting the power to the ground and is much more forgiving to the drivetrain behind the engine, especially axles then the LS3 but if your modding heavy, you will probably upgrade these anyway.

Simply put, both engines can be modded to produce scary power, it really comes down to personal preference about the manual shifting or just sitting back and enjoying the ride.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #13
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
If your planning on serious mods, the LS3 is the "Easiest" place to start. I say that because if you get really serious with the L99, you really need to do the valvetrain conversion which is a decent expense just to get to the level of reliability of the LS3.

The LS3 is supposed to be a bit stouter on the bottom end. I think this would only come into play if you plan on racing your car hard. For a street car, I think both cracks are more then up to the challange.

Personally, I think it comes down to if you want to shift all the time or not. I did not want to have to shift all the time and love the choice I made with the L99.

The L99 is also more efficent putting the power to the ground and is much more forgiving to the drivetrain behind the engine, especially axles then the LS3 but if your modding heavy, you will probably upgrade these anyway.

Simply put, both engines can be modded to produce scary power, it really comes down to personal preference about the manual shifting or just sitting back and enjoying the ride.
All very good points you should consider, OP.

Shifting your own gears is enormous fun....when you're in the mood for it and traffic doesn't get in your way.

That said, I love to be able to just sit back, relax, and cruise. Then, simply mash the gas and I'm gone

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #14
Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Savage Setsuna

Drives: 16' 2SS, 12 ZL1, RIP Sasuke
Send a message via MSN to Heaven_is_inferno_orange Send a message via Yahoo to Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Get the M6. They are easy to learn on and not as bad as they are made out to be in daily traffic. Been driving a manual camaro daily for 11 years and would never go back. They are LOTS of fun!
Heaven_is_inferno_orange is offline   Reply With Quote