Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-19-2009, 09:08 PM   #57
diggermike62
diggermike62

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2
dash noise

I have had my camaro in three times for dash noise and I still have the noise. Kinda comes and goes. but the dealership is just as frustrated as I am. So your not the only one.
diggermike62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #58
Black Friday
Purchased on Black Friday

Drives: 2010 Black SS Lingenfelter Camaro
Took mine to the dealer for the gurgling noise from the passenger side console area. Sounded like the "rice krispy's" or "percolating" noise as described in other posts. I mentioned the TSB #09-01-37-001 and they installed the one way valve as directed. Noise stopped and did not come back after driving for over an hour. I would highly recommend this if that noise is bothersome.
Black Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #59
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
The actual work takes maybe 30 minutes IF the coolant is not too hot to handle. Otherwise, they have to let the car sit awhile til the coolant cools down some so they can safely drain it to perform the work. Or a gung-ho fearless tech just gets on with it hot coolant or not and you'll be outta there in no time.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #60
Mark-HD

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange SS
I had the fix done by the dealer over 6 weeks ago. The gurgling is now back....:(
2010 Camaro SS, M6, MTI shifter and sway bars, GM quarter flares, Corsa catback, Roto-Fab CAI, 30% tinted windows, Lloyd's custom mats, Hawk ceramic pads, Pedders lower coils, Magnuson supercharger with 3.6 pulley, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Kook's LT's1 7/8 w/cats, Lingenfelter/SLP billet pedals, KW V'3 Coilovers, RevExtreme catch can, ---Ordered--- IconZ LS7 9 & 11" polished wheels!. Dyno'd 563.05 HP, 543.86 Torq.
Mark-HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #61
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-HD View Post
I had the fix done by the dealer over 6 weeks ago. The gurgling is now back....:(
Mark, you have the supercharger, right? If so, then the 1 way valve that the dealer installed on 1 of the heater hoses is gone. If you still have the OE hoses that the SC hoses replaced, I bet you will see it on there. I got the Maggie and sure enough, I have the gurgle again so I checked the 1way valve and no longer there, I found it still attached to the OE hose that was removed. The gurlge noise doesn't bother me anymore, I hardly notice it now.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:32 AM   #62
Swoop
Actually its her's.

Drives: 2010 SS/RS SIM W/ CGM Stripes
I just had the car in for the check valve install. Got rearended on the way home but that is another story. Can someone please describe where this is installed. I'm still smelling coolant and want to inspect the install for leaks. Not sure where to look. Thanks in advance. Chris.
Swoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:24 PM   #63
Lineman

Drives: 04 Tahoe and 2010 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
I just had the car in for the check valve install. Got rearended on the way home but that is another story. Can someone please describe where this is installed. I'm still smelling coolant and want to inspect the install for leaks. Not sure where to look. Thanks in advance. Chris.
Swoop: Check post #4 in this thread. There a photo there. Those hoses in the photo are located on the engine’s right side. Check the photo and you can’t miss them. Some of us are having the sound come back, so let us know – okay? I’ve had the valve changed twice and the sound never did go away. If anything, it’s getting worse.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:31 PM   #64
Swoop
Actually its her's.

Drives: 2010 SS/RS SIM W/ CGM Stripes
Lineman, thanks, I read this entire post and somehow missed the picture. Got it, I'll give it a look in the morning and Keep everyone posted whether the sound returns or not.
Swoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:50 AM   #65
OBERKORN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS w/RS Pkg. Color:ISM
For those of you with the gurgling noise, was the sound there constantly or present only when the engine is cold? I have a gurgling sound when I first drive the car in the morning and it's pretty loud at high rpms (highway speeds). Once the car is warmed up, the gurgling seems to disappear. I'm trying to figure out if I'm hearing the same noise as everyone else. Thanks
OBERKORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #66
Lineman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBERKORN View Post
For those of you with the gurgling noise, was the sound there constantly or present only when the engine is cold? I have a gurgling sound when I first drive the car in the morning and it's pretty loud at high rpms (highway speeds). Once the car is warmed up, the gurgling seems to disappear. I'm trying to figure out if I'm hearing the same noise as everyone else. Thanks
Someone else described the gurgle sound the same way you have – that is, gurgle sound when cold and it goes away when warm. But most people have the opposite problem. No sound when cold but starts as soon as the engine begins to warm and gets worse the warmer the engine gets. I heard the sound day one and I’ve had the valve changed out twice per the TSB and there’s been no change. Some people have said that they can ignore it and tune it out but in my case the sound is so loud that it’s impossible to ignore. It’s awful. Someone said that they installed a supercharger and that installation doesn’t use the coolant hoses where the valve is located. But even with the hoses and valve removed from the car he still had the noise. I’ve concluded that it’s not the valve, but in that case why do some people get relief when the valve is changed? Beats me.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:32 AM   #67
camaro10

Drives: 2012 45TH Anniversary SS
I'm At the dealer now having it done(after some prodding) so I'll let you know if it works
or not.

My newest edition, Chevy V8 Power!
camaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #68
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineman View Post
Someone else described the gurgle sound the same way you have – that is, gurgle sound when cold and it goes away when warm. But most people have the opposite problem. No sound when cold but starts as soon as the engine begins to warm and gets worse the warmer the engine gets. I heard the sound day one and I’ve had the valve changed out twice per the TSB and there’s been no change. Some people have said that they can ignore it and tune it out but in my case the sound is so loud that it’s impossible to ignore. It’s awful. Someone said that they installed a supercharger and that installation doesn’t use the coolant hoses where the valve is located. But even with the hoses and valve removed from the car he still had the noise. I’ve concluded that it’s not the valve, but in that case why do some people get relief when the valve is changed? Beats me.
They don't "change" a valve, to fix the rice krispie/gurgle sound, TSB calls for the "installation" of a 1-way valve in the outlet hose. If the tech can't follow directions, it is easy to install the valve in the wrong hose! If you had this done then add a supercharger, the inlet and outlet hoses get replaced and you can take the valve off the OE hose and install in the replacement one if you so desire. I got it done, noise was gone, then added a supercharger, noise came back but not as bad, but I don't hear it anymore because I guess my brain already knowing what it is, tuned it out. But I can hear it if I conciously listen for it.

I think some people are confusing this sound for something else entirely different and they go to the dealer and ask for the gurgling tsb and come away still having the sound.

This sound sounds like rice krispies when you pour milk in it, sounds like sand hitting your passenger side fender well, it is often very very subtle and you have to listen for it at low RPMs as you drive out cold. It may happen at high rpms but when I had it, it was most obvious in low RPMs, cold. The sound comes from the the gove box area.
If you are hearing a sound anywhere else, or a different sound in the same area, IT IS NOT the gurgling issue.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #69
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
This sound sounds like rice krispies when you pour milk in it, sounds like sand hitting your passenger side fender well, it is often very very subtle and you have to listen for it at low RPMs as you drive out cold. It may happen at high rpms but when I had it, it was most obvious in low RPMs, cold. The sound comes from the the gove box area.
If you are hearing a sound anywhere else, or a different sound in the same area, IT IS NOT the gurgling issue.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:54 PM   #70
Lineman

I think that ffrcobra is right – we’re probably chasing at least two different noises here and I’ve thought that for awhile. The TSB is the only reference to this type of noise (that I know of) and the dealer has addressed it - twice. Now they don’t know what to do, but you know what? It’s not the end of the world (that’s a couple more years).

I know what to do to get rid of the noise, however. Roll the windows down, turn the music up, drag the clutch a little and have fun.