Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
inferno camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro pace car, 2008 cts bl,
Oil dripping from bellhousing L99?

I crawled under my car to start to pull my transmission out and noticed oil drops hanging from my bellhousing area. Its a brownish oil I assume is motor oil.There is a plug in the bottom of the bellhousing so I can see into the converter area. Its slightly damp in there but the car has been sitting for 2 months so it could be just mostly dried up. Has there been any issues with rear mains leaking on these? If its a rear main I assume transmission needs to come out for that?
The front subframe mount passenger sibe also has oil on it, really a different area but somewhat close. There is also oil coming from the black plastic cover around the bottom of the starter.
There is also some orange looking fluid on the driverside under the car.
Any ideas what is leaking would be appreciated.
Mods, 2r max cam, ls3 conv,kooks lt w/hf cats,kooks street sleeper cat back with magnaflow res x-pipe, roto fab cai, v-max TB, vigilante 3700 stall, 3.70 LPE, 442hp/392tq, Mike Norris Tune 11.71@116.24 1.63 60' m&h DR's
inferno camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
Partlow

Drives: 2010 1SS Camaro, 2012 Charger R/T
I have limited knowledge with cars but my fathers truck had the same thing. A local mechanic said when a vehicle sits for a long time it will actually drain the oil out of the transmission on purpose. I doubt this is from that but it was normal for his truck.
Partlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partlow View Post
I have limited knowledge with cars but my fathers truck had the same thing. A local mechanic said when a vehicle sits for a long time it will actually drain the oil out of the transmission on purpose. I doubt this is from that but it was normal for his truck.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
inferno camaro

Bump for more info.
Mods, 2r max cam, ls3 conv,kooks lt w/hf cats,kooks street sleeper cat back with magnaflow res x-pipe, roto fab cai, v-max TB, vigilante 3700 stall, 3.70 LPE, 442hp/392tq, Mike Norris Tune 11.71@116.24 1.63 60' m&h DR's
Old 02-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Could be a few things...oil cooler (a very common issue), oil pan, rear main seal. The orange color fluid could be trans fluid. If your car is still under warranty, bring it to a dealer and have it checked out. It shouldnt just leak from sitting (unless it's been sitting for a long time).

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 02-02-2013 at 06:53 AM.
POWERFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
inferno camaro

I'm supposed to take it in on Monday, they will fix anything that hasn't been apart for modding.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #7
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Good luck, hopefully they are cool about it
Old 02-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
If the rear main seal is leaking and/or the oil pan gasket, you have a major repair on your hands. If the issue is the pan gasket, the entire front rack (suspension) has to be dropped out of the car. This will take a few days to repair. If the rear main seal is leaking, the trans has to be separated from the motor and many times will have to be taken out to get to the area of repair.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
It is either a rear main or rear cover/oil pan issue. I have the same problem. The good news, for you, is you were pulling your trans anyway. In order to fix a rear main and possibly the rear cover, you have to pull the trans.

The orange fluid you are seeing is engine oil. If you are seeing it on the silver heat shielding, the silver background makes it appear orange. See if it feels like oil. I have that same issue as well.

The factory coolant in our cars is orange. If you were leaking coolant, you can check by using a UV light on it. The factory stuff has a UV additive already in it to help techs when they are working on the AC system.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Vinnysrt8

Drives: Jeep srt8
i realized mine was leakin last night i have 2 leaks one form the oil cooler and the other looks like rear main seal gotta bring it to the dealer when there no more salt on the road.
V-3 Vortech Supercharger, Borla S, 180 t-stat, diablo sport predator,
Eibach lowering springs, shorty antenna, crossed drilled and slotted rotors, dash hawk,
20% tint,tinted tails, rammedic23 fiberglass hood.
Vinnysrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
inferno camaro

The orange fluid looks like its ready to drip but when you wipe it its almost dry?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Take a white tissue or towel or paper towel and wipe the orange stuff. Is it still orange when against a white background?

I have to correct myself, I don't think the coolant has a uv dye in it, the AC stuff does. I wasn't remembering correctly.

Oil is honey colored to black depending on how dirty it is. Clutch and brake fluid are clear to black. Trans fluid is red to dark red. Coolant is orange (factory) or green. AC I cannot remember but I think it is yellowish.

Those are the only fluids in the car besides gasoline I am aware of.

I am positive you are seeing engine oil. When mine first started, I thought it was clutch fluid because it seemed almost clear (engine oil was fresh) so I pulled the trans to check the slave cylinder. Turned out to NOT be the slave. I replaced the rear main and buttoned everything back up and I still have the problem. When I drive the car hard, it leaks more (crankcase pressure) than normal. I usually only have a small spot or two unless I have been driving it hard. Then I was have a few tiny puddles. I am sure they are coming from the same source but get spread out because it gets splattered on the bottom of the car, undercarriage and when parked, it drips from where it is at. I can see burnt oil stains on my exhaust as well.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:26 AM   #13
shella076

Drives: 2011 camaro 2lt rs/package
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno camaro View Post
I crawled under my car to start to pull my transmission out and noticed oil drops hanging from my bellhousing area. Its a brownish oil I assume is motor oil.There is a plug in the bottom of the bellhousing so I can see into the converter area. Its slightly damp in there but the car has been sitting for 2 months so it could be just mostly dried up. Has there been any issues with rear mains leaking on these? If its a rear main I assume transmission needs to come out for that?
The front subframe mount passenger sibe also has oil on it, really a different area but somewhat close. There is also oil coming from the black plastic cover around the bottom of the starter.
There is also some orange looking fluid on the driverside under the car.
Any ideas what is leaking would be appreciated.

My husband noticed oil leaking from my car as well, I was looking for recalls/service bulletins and found this below not sure if this is where mine is leaking from. Seems like 2010 and 2011 have some major issues.

ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING NHTSA ID Number: 10045062
All Products Associated with this Service Bulletin
Details
0 Associated Documents
Manufacturer: General Motors LLC
SUMMARY:
CHEVROLET: UPON INSPECTING VEHICLES AT DEALER, COOLANT LEAKAGE IS NOTICED COMING FROM OIL COOLER FITTING THREADS THAT SCREWS INTO LEFT SIDE OF ENGINE BLOCK, DUE TO FITTING BEING CROSS THREADED. .*PE
shella076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #14
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shella076 View Post
My husband noticed oil leaking from my car as well, I was looking for recalls/service bulletins and found this below not sure if this is where mine is leaking from. Seems like 2010 and 2011 have some major issues.
Major issues? Not really. Every make/model out there has service bulletins. Sure there's some issues, but considering how many of these cars have been built...cant all be perfect.

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 02-15-2013 at 04:50 PM.
POWERFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote