Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
woolf

Drives: 2011 SLP SS
Dynomax vt axle back is too quiet.

I just put my kooks LTs and green cats on my magnacharged LS3. It had the loudmouth 2, but was way too loud for every day driving. So, I bought the dynomax vt axle back. It truly is amazing how much it quieted the car down, but now it sounds stock. I wanna be I. The middle between where I was and where I currently am. I'm thinking about removing the cats and the two resonators. Any thoughts?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ezqXXgAnUus
woolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolf View Post
I just put my kooks LTs and green cats on my magnacharged LS3. It had the loudmouth 2, but was way too loud for every day driving. So, I bought the dynomax vt axle back. It truly is amazing how much it quieted the car down, but now it sounds stock. I wanna be I. The middle between where I was and where I currently am. I'm thinking about removing the cats and the two resonators. Any thoughts?
I wouldn't be running cats on a FI car. Certainly not a set of $800 ones. Cats do quiet down the exhaust quite a bit.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:24 AM   #3
woolf

The cats and headers were part of a barter deal, so I figured I'd try the cats for a few miles. They're gonna come off here very shortly though.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
The cats and headers were part of a barter deal, so I figured I'd try the cats for a few miles. They're gonna come off here very shortly though.
Boost is known to eat cats for breakfast, especially aftermarket ones. Those Greens are priced like gold. You shouldn't have a problem getting a nice chunk of change for them. I think they are around $800 for a set, brand new. I'd get them off ASAP, to make sure they're still good to sell.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 06-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
woolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Boost is known to eat cats for breakfast, especially aftermarket ones. Those Greens are priced like gold. You shouldn't have a problem getting a nice chunk of change for them. I think they are around $800 for a set, brand new. I'd get them off ASAP, to make sure they're still good to sell.

Yeah, I agree. They're coming off next week. I need to find out the dimensions on the flange for the headers so that I can make some new flanges. I really don't want to cut them off. Anyone know the bolt center to center dimension?

Old 06-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
kooks green cats are pretty sturdy. with that said the axle back still has those resonator thingies right? the green cats are bolt on to headers and catback why cut? confused. also kooks catless midpipe connections are inexpensive and again bolt on
Old 06-13-2013, 04:23 AM   #7
woolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
kooks green cats are pretty sturdy. with that said the axle back still has those resonator thingies right? the green cats are bolt on to headers and catback why cut? confused. also kooks catless midpipe connections are inexpensive and again bolt on
The only reason I would have to cut is because I don't have the mating flange for a connection pipe. I plan on making the connection pipe, but was just curious if anyone had the dimensions as it is rather hard to get from the flange while it is on the car. I know I could take it off and measure it (which I will likely have to do) but it is easier to ask.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:39 AM   #8
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
The only reason I would have to cut is because I don't have the mating flange for a connection pipe. I plan on making the connection pipe, but was just curious if anyone had the dimensions as it is rather hard to get from the flange while it is on the car. I know I could take it off and measure it (which I will likely have to do) but it is easier to ask.
I'm not even sure what your talking about there but all you have to do is order a set of Kooks catless connection pipes and swap out with your green catted connection pipes. Its that simple. May want to retune just in case.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #9
woolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
I'm not even sure what your talking about there but all you have to do is order a set of Kooks catless connection pipes and swap out with your green catted connection pipes. Its that simple. May want to retune just in case.

There are certain things that I will pay for in the exhaust market, i.e. long tube headers, axle backs/cat backs, mufflers, cats, etc. However I find it difficult to pay $250 for things such as a couple of straight piece of tubing with flanges and bosses welded to them. I own a tube fabrication company (http://woolfaircraft.com), so I can make anything when it comes to tubing; it just comes down to whether or not it is cheaper for me to pay for someone's time to develop a process to build a part or if it is better for me to do so. In this case it makes more sense for me to just build the catless connection pipes. So, I was only asking to see if anyone has the measurement for the bolt holes so that I can make the mating flanges rather than having to crawl underneath the car and measure mine (car is lowered 1.5" and is pain to get under).

Old 06-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
There are certain things that I will pay for in the exhaust market, i.e. long tube headers, axle backs/cat backs, mufflers, cats, etc. However I find it difficult to pay $250 for things such as a couple of straight piece of tubing with flanges and bosses welded to them. I own a tube fabrication company (http://woolfaircraft.com), so I can make anything when it comes to tubing; it just comes down to whether or not it is cheaper for me to pay for someone's time to develop a process to build a part or if it is better for me to do so. In this case it makes more sense for me to just build the catless connection pipes. So, I was only asking to see if anyone has the measurement for the bolt holes so that I can make the mating flanges rather than having to crawl underneath the car and measure mine (car is lowered 1.5" and is pain to get under).
Now that makes sense.

The holes are right at 4.25in, on center of the elongated holes.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 06-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post

Yup. Technically you should re tune, you may even pick up a 10hp.
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #12
ITGuy11
Burning up tires

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Small world! I work for RoMan Engineering Services, we do welding qualifications for you guys. Have you checked out detroit5thgen.com
ITGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:25 AM   #13
woolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Now that makes sense.

The holes are right at 4.25in, on center of the elongated holes.
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:27 AM   #14
woolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITGuy11 View Post
Small world! I work for RoMan Engineering Services, we do welding qualifications for you guys. Have you checked out detroit5thgen.com

That's awesome. I love you guys. RoMan is a phenomenal company. Can't tell you how many times you guys have helped us out. Everyone I've ever met from there has been exceptional.

Thanks for the link, I hadn't checked it out. Oh and by the way, your car is insane. Certainly looks like you don't mind getting your hands dirty. That thing is a beast!