Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #43
ramsman34

Drives: 2011 Summit White, 2SS/RS-LS3
Quote:
Don't get caught up on 25hp. It doesn't make that big of a difference,
It made a HUGE difference to me. I bought the LS3 after driving the L99 first. Liked the paddle shifting but there is a noticeable difference in these cars/motors comparing stock to stock. I am so glad I have the M6. Way more fun to drive and I don't care how fast a computer shifts. I like to drive, not ride along. Just my opinion but drive both the auto and manual and decide from there and do consider possible future mods and if you will race and what type or racing you will do.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #44
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
That had to be an experience!
Most def. I believe my "career" best was 7.28@186. The car now sports an aluminum block, rods and two stages of nitrous. My dad has gone in the 6's.

PS..I used to hang burnouts out to 200ft because I could (and they weren't my tires).
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #45
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsman34 View Post
It made a HUGE difference to me. I bought the LS3 after driving the L99 first. Liked the paddle shifting but there is a noticeable difference in these cars/motors comparing stock to stock. I am so glad I have the M6. Way more fun to drive and I don't care how fast a computer shifts. I like to drive, not ride along. Just my opinion but drive both the auto and manual and decide from there and do consider possible future mods and if you will race and what type or racing you will do.
If the dealership has two identical Camaros except one is Auto and the other is Manual, I'll drive them both. But if there is a yellow one thats manual and a cyber grey one that is auto. I'm taking the Auto
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #46
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsman34 View Post
I agree except for the 25 hp is not the part that made the difference. It was the massive torque management that they imposed on the auto that makes them feel different. I personally went auto b/c I knew I wouldn't wait long to tune that out. Now I'm eating up those manual 5.0 mustangs!
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #47
Herc
Greg

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS AG Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentin24 View Post
Do you have a Cyber Grey or Ashen Grey?
Ashen Gray
Herc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #48
Trentin24
Trentin24

Quote:
Originally Posted by K32 Camaro View Post
I agree except for the 25 hp is not the part that made the difference. It was the massive torque management that they imposed on the auto that makes them feel different. I personally went auto b/c I knew I wouldn't wait long to tune that out. Now I'm eating up those manual 5.0 mustangs!
Are you saying the Autos have more or less torque?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc View Post
Ashen Gray
Thats sweet. I never really was able to see the difference in the two. But i do know the Ashen Grey is darker.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #49
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentin24 View Post
Are you saying the Autos have more or less torque?
The engine is the same but the programming makes it feel like it's less b/c it prevents excessive wheel spin off the line from a dead stop. The manual also has a gear that is just a little bigger in the rear end, which also makes that feel more torquey. However if you end up adding power later, the manual breaks axles ALOT sooner than an auto will.

Tune it and the torque feels like the manual.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #50
Trentin24
Trentin24

Quote:
Originally Posted by K32 Camaro View Post
The engine is the same but the programming makes it feel like it's less b/c it prevents excessive wheel spin off the line from a dead stop. The manual also has a gear that is just a little bigger in the rear end, which also makes that feel more torquey. However if you end up adding power later, the manual breaks axles ALOT sooner than an auto will.

Tune it and the torque feels like the manual.
That makes sense. thanks

Tags
engine, l99, l99 engine, ls3 engine, ls7 engine