Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #29
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Back in the day, car forums (believe it or not) actually had technical information and discussion on them. Good discussions about specs and doing the work yourself.

Today, everything is social media / fanboy nonsense barely related to the car.

Go to Amazon.com

They have a lot of good books on building/rebuilding LS engines and car guides that can help you learn a lot.
So you learned about cars from car forums back in the day?

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #30
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
My dad and my GrandFather.
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #31
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
My dad. Hes an old school streetrodder and I grew up watching him restore hot rods. I paid attention. My dad is a big time DIY type guy and builds most of his own stuff. Guess thats where I get the DIY too bc most of the mods on my car, Ive done myself. Heres my dads current ride

'32 Ford 3 window coupe powered by a 350 Chevy engine, took him 4 yrs to build it

Old 08-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #32
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
Yes. camaroz28.com ls1tech.com

oops, I said them out loud. I guess that's the end of me.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #33
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Yes. camaroz28.com ls1tech.com

oops, I said them out loud. I guess that's the end of me.
Nah, neither one is a competitor for C5... since we have neither LS1 engines or Z/28's... so I think you're safe.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #34
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
Nah, neither one is a competitor for C5... since we have neither LS1 engines or Z/28's... so I think you're safe.
Meh, they have sections dedicated to 5th gen.

Love the thread tag updates. More personal attacks for me stating a general opinion that didn't target anyone/anything specific and I gave a good source of information to the OP. oh well, hooray.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #35
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
I bought my SS knowing nothing 6 months ago. I have learned sooooo much since then. I have pretty much everything down on cars . I've done plenty of my own mods and have plenty more coming.
My hero I'm hoping for the same for me within the next 6 mths to a year. But so far since being on this site and my home site (NY5THGEN) just reading is how I've been learning, along with asking question from a few fellow camaro buddies at our weekly get togethers. I've come to the realization that I'm learning a lot more than I thought. So a BIG thanks to those that I've pm'd asking questions, and to those I've never encountered. I thx you too for asking the question I may have thought to ask, but never did. You learn by reading and doing.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #36
bigted83
They call me captain slow

Drives: 2010 camaro lt
My dad and uncle got me into it
bigted83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #37
STW

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3
Initially....under the influence of alot of speed!
STW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #38
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
My grandparents started a repair shop in the 40's, which led to my dad and uncle growing up working there before doing their own things. They got into drag racing around 14/15 yrs old and by the time I was born, they had a set racing schedule, a couple cars, etc and I basically grew up in the race pits. My dad worked at a dealership (started sweeping floors in the parts dept) and wanted to be a parts salesman. Well, he stayed honest, and worked his butt off and 35 years later, has 20 stores (how's that for a feel good american dream story).

My uncle now owns and runs my late grandparents repair shop, still going strong. I started working summers there when I was 12, being around the repair side of things, when I turned 16 or 17 I started working away from family. My other uncle has a BMW store and like 30 amazing cars in the garage that I drool over, including a new ZL1 and GT500.

My dad never gave me a dime, a car, etc. I bought my first car for 400 bucks with money I worked for during the summers. A 1984 Z28, a real turd. Took me 1000 bucks in parts and my own highly skilled labor to make it start. Then I smoked out the mosquitoes for a while until we built a 350 for it. Still slow. But I waxed it every weekend and did one-tire burnouts every chance I got.

Now, 40 cars and 12 motorcycles later (not at the same time), cars is all I do. Tuning, selling, tinkering, buying, whatever. Cars are my whole life (except for my wife).
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #39
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
My Dad was big into racing when I was growing up. He had an auto repair / performance shop in the 80s, although he still does it's not as big as it used to be. Anything anyone wanted to go faster, they brough it to him. He was always building kick @$$ small blocks for his race cars. He had a 68 Firebird that would run 11.70s, had a pro-street 67 Camaro that ran in the high 9s-low 10s, and his last hurrah in his racing career was a rail that he would run in the 7.90 Super Eliminator class. We were always traveling around to different tracks.

I've learned everything I know from him, and I've even taught him some things about fuel injection along the way. He started migrating away from cars in the mid-late 90's and starting building/tuning motorcycles, quads and go karts. We've got a DynoJet 168 at the shop, and there is always something on it.

My first car was a 71 Chevelle, we built the engine together my freshman/Junior year. Since then I've owned a 67, 68, and currently have a 72 Chevelle. Last time I've counted I have owned close to 50 cars since I was 12. I would buy cheap with some kind of problem, fix them up, turn them, and eventually trade up to a better car that I wanted.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #40
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
When i was 16 my first car was a 73' firebird formula 400. My neighbor had a Camaro. He invited me to the drags one day. I went and met all the other car guys in the area. They tought me a ton. While the techology has changed the basic principles and major components are still the same. Just way more advanced.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #41
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Back in the day, car forums (believe it or not) actually had technical information and discussion on them. Good discussions about specs and doing the work yourself.

Today, everything is social media / fanboy nonsense barely related to the car.

Go to Amazon.com

They have a lot of good books on building/rebuilding LS engines and car guides that can help you learn a lot.
Quote:

Damn that made me feel real old ...
Old 08-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #42
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
A lot I picked up from my dad, more maintenance items than mod items but learned my way around a car. The mods really came in oddly enough on my first car my '95 Chevy Monte Carlo Z34. Started out small with exhaust and some things there. Then everything branched off of that when I got my now DD, 2006 Pontiac G6 GT. Just picked things up online... Now slowly moving into it on the Camaro
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, cars, diy, modding, modifications, shut up wheelman, wheelman whines again