Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Which would you actually spend $35k on?
Volt - Because gas is getting too expensive for an SS. 5 3.47%
Volt - But only for my spouse to drive. 0 0%
SS - I love the smell of gasoline and burning rubber. 139 96.53%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2008, 09:37 AM   #43
blaSSt

Drives: 98 SS, 15 COPO, 09 ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Um....I'll take the Camaro/Volt in ONE!!
Here you go:

Had to vote Camaro. With extended range Volt would be an option. My commute to work is 22 miles, can't make the round trip. Just not practical for big ol Texas.

Now if it had the range of the Tesla!
Old 09-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #44
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
I voted SS.

Leave the volt to the tree hugging democrats who think CAFE is a good idea.
Well I'm a Democrat, but not a treehugger, and I do think looking at the big picture CAFE is a good idea, albeit a bit agressive, but a good idea nonetheless. I welcome the Volt and hope it's a hit because the car that gets like a gazillion MPG will help GM meet CAFE regs so that we can get more high powered vehicles on the otherside of the spectrum, which is why if it works I'll be more than happy to buy one (for my wife!). Ultimately our dependance on oil whether foriegn or domestic needs to be curbed because it is contributing the decay of our ecosystem, (don't think global warming is real... look at the Gulf region this summer!) and one day WE WILL RUN OUT! Hopefully before we have 110 degree heat in January and have pumped our last barrel of crude we'll have an infrastrucure that will allow us to continue our society uninterrupted. BUT, untill then I want my big loud ass V8!!
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #45
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
35k for an SS? No thanks. Thats nearly 50k in Canadian pricing. I'd take a Volt instead, gas is more expensive here too, ~$5/gal now. I'd never buy a Prius, regardless of pricing.

Also, when did GM announce pricing on the Volt? People seem to be upset by the notion that it will cost GM ~40k to produce but ignore the fact that the shareholders have agreed that they will sell the Volt at a loss. Its more important for GM to sell the thing than to make money on it. And that was in the midst of large quarterly losses too.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #46
ShowTime

Drives: 2010 IOM M6 2SS/RS
SS/RS for me. I need to hear an engine (preferably a big one).
1100 Preliminary Order Accepted (10/26)
2500 Preferenced (11/03), 3000 Accepted by Production Control(11/04/09) TPW (11/23)
3300 Scheduled for Production (11/11), 3400 Order broadcast (11/12/09), 3800 Order produced (11/25)
4150 Produced, Invoiced and Available to ship (11/25), 4200 Shipped (11/26), 4800 Rail Ramp Unload (12/4)
5000 Delivered to the dealer (12/7)
6000 Delivered to customer (12/10/09)
ShowTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #47
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Also, when did GM announce pricing on the Volt? People seem to be upset by the notion that it will cost GM ~40k to produce but ignore the fact that the shareholders have agreed that they will sell the Volt at a loss. Its more important for GM to sell the thing than to make money on it. And that was in the midst of large quarterly losses too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Volt#Price

Quote:
As of August 2008, General Motors Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Rick Wagoner was quoted saying that the price of the Volt would likely be in "the mid to high 30's", suggesting a price of more than US$5,000 more than originally targeted.
http://www.charlierose.com/shows/200...o-rick-wagoner

32:21 in the video.

Last edited by rolnslo; 09-10-2008 at 11:50 AM.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #48
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
When did the volt get ugly?
Last time I checked it looked like this:

What happened?
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #49
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
That is unfortunately a total brick aerodynamically. They did extensive wind tunnel testing and rounded the design quite a bit.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:23 PM   #50
Zieke
Camaro Deprived

Drives: 78 Camaro, 00 Tahoe, 10 Cobalt
Send a message via MSN to Zieke
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid View Post
When did the volt get ugly?
Last time I checked it looked like this:

What happened?

thats the Volt i remember. too bad the aerodynamics sucked on it tho.

Joined Active Navy: 10-28-08
Zieke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #51
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Neither...

If I'm dropping 35k for a car, I will be saving another 5-6k and just buy a new vette.

My limit on the camaro is 32k, past that I can get a less than 3 years old garage queen vette, or just save another couple grand and buy one new.

EDIT - on the topic of the volt... MANY lose site of the fact that if you drive less than 40 miles a day your gas bill is $0.00 which means you have that money you would normally spend on gas to use towards the payment of the car. So if you spend $40 a week in gas now.. that's $160 more a month you can afford towards a car that doesn't use gas. $160 more in a payment can be upwards of 5-10k more on the total price of the vehicle.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #52
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I'm halfway through Lutz's interview. I advise everyone to listen to both parts, but its a total of ~2hrs. Lots of good stuff.

Oh, one other thing that should help the Volt is the tax rebates. The Prius got over $3000 in rebates. The Volt should get at least that much.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #53
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
Neither...

If I'm dropping 35k for a car, I will be saving another 5-6k and just buy a new vette.

My limit on the camaro is 32k, past that I can get a less than 3 years old garage queen vette, or just save another couple grand and buy one new.

EDIT - on the topic of the volt... MANY lose site of the fact that if you drive less than 40 miles a day your gas bill is $0.00 which means you have that money you would normally spend on gas to use towards the payment of the car. So if you spend $40 a week in gas now.. that's $160 more a month you can afford towards a car that doesn't use gas. $160 more in a payment can be upwards of 5-10k more on the total price of the vehicle.
which makes it unnecessary because you don't actually save the money...you can buy a cheaper hybrid and actually save the money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zieke View Post
thats the Volt i remember. too bad the aerodynamics sucked on it tho.
and we were complaining about some small differences on the camaro...geez the volt did a total 180 in design...it went from a futuristic look to looking like a honda...what the heck...cheap bean counters....

the volt looks like a cheap rental car from hertz...just wow...i blame the unions in gm and c.a.f.e for crippling and making it anti-competetive for american car companies...

screw the eco-warriors
Old 09-10-2008, 04:41 PM   #54
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
the volt looks like a cheap rental car from hertz...just wow...i blame the unions in gm and c.a.f.e for crippling and making it anti-competetive for american car companies...

screw the eco-warriors
Tell us how you really feel...
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:46 PM   #55
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
which makes it unnecessary because you don't actually save the money...you can buy a cheaper hybrid and actually save the money
Wow... I honestly thought the goal of the volt for consumers (and the prius for that matter) was to reduce useage of oil...

If your after monetary savings.. Buy an aveo, motorcycle, yaris, golf... You will spend MANY THOUSANDS less in the purchase, maint, AND gas..

But thats the problem with all these treehuggers (eco-warriors per you).. they want the cake and eat it to... its either your spending the same or more money to not use oil, or your in it to save money in which this vehicle or ANY HYBRID is not the right car for you.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #56
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
Wow... I honestly thought the goal of the volt for consumers (and the prius for that matter) was to reduce useage of oil...

If your after monetary savings.. Buy an aveo, motorcycle, yaris, golf... You will spend MANY THOUSANDS less in the purchase, maint, AND gas..

But thats the problem with all these treehuggers (eco-warriors per you).. they want the cake and eat it to... its either your spending the same or more money to not use oil, or your in it to save money in which this vehicle or ANY HYBRID is not the right car for you.
believe me there isn't enough of a market of people who want to buy this car just because it supposedly "saves the environment" anybody interested in high mpg mileage vehicles are doing it because they are strapped for cash and want to curb high gas prices...

as an expensive car for eco-warriors it has very little market viablity...trust me this global warming crap is going to die down and has already started to die down...general electric wishes they didn't invest so much in their green marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Tell us how you really feel...
if i stated how i really feel this place would need censors up the wazoo and thus wouldn't be readable....

Last edited by TAG UR IT; 09-11-2008 at 01:17 AM. Reason: double post..please use multi-quote button. thanks!
chevydude26 is offline   Reply With Quote