Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
bwmsn11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Black
Thumbs down Paint Peeling Around Spoiler

As I was washing my car today I noticed several chips on my deck lid around my spoiler. There’s one on the left side of the spoiler and right above the RS badge. Has anyone else had this problem or know what could be causing it? My first thought was that the spoiler was loose and rubbing causing the chipping but the spoiler doesn’t seem to move at all. Needless to say I'll be at the dealership tomorrow morning.(Sorry for the poor picture quality, but hey their from my Blackberry)
Attached Images

bwmsn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
3BVert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Bummer but your warranty should cover it, no problem (except for the hassle and having to have it painted). Good luck with the repair.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
SILVER BULLITT

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS MONSTER
what are you using to close your trunk ??? a sledgehammer? j/k bro good luck and head right back to chevy and make it happen !!!!!!
HP MONSTER' SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BUILT, LMR CAI, CUSTOM GRIND CAM, CUSTOM BUILT CNC PORTED AND POLISHED HEADS, FAST 102MM INTAKE MANIFOLD,ARH LONG TUBES AND HIGH FLOW CATS, BIGGER INJECTORS, VALVES SPRINGS RETAINERS, MGW SHORT SHIFTER, EIBACH SPRINGS, FACTORY CHROMED WHEELS, BLACKED OUT EMBLEMS, BLACKED OUT ROOF,BLACKED OUT MARKERS, 3.5 INCH ELECTRONIC CUTOUTS, FLOWMASTERS, ZEX WET 150 SHOT, FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF =630 REAR WHEEL TORQUE ,AND 600 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER
MY JOURNALhttp://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...02#post2023802 SOON TWIN TURBO SETUP
SILVER BULLITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
Swytch

Drives: 10 2SS/RS Black, 99 Daktota
Ive got that same spot peeling on the trunk by the spoiler. Heading up to the dealership on Monday to get it looked at. Hopefully its not a hassle, i dont really see how i could have caught a rock there.
Kooks Signature Series Headers 1-3/4 stepped to 1 7/8, Kooks 3" High Flow Cats, Vararam OTR Cold Air Intake, JRE Performance Tune, RX Catch Can, RX Oil Breather, LSR Tri-Ax short throw shifter, AAC Red/White Halos and Fog Rings, AAC Knight Rider Scanner Bar

Swytch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
bwmsn11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swytch View Post
Ive got that same spot peeling on the trunk by the spoiler. Heading up to the dealership on Monday to get it looked at. Hopefully its not a hassle, i dont really see how i could have caught a rock there.
I notice you ordered your car and took delivery right around the same time as me, I ordered on 4/16 and got it on 5/21. Just curious what the last 6 digits of you VIN are, mine are 218330 if our VIN's are close enough together then maybe there was a problem at the factory that day with the paint or something.
bwmsn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #6
dmax86

Drives: 2016 Z06 C7R
ME TOO!!! HOW GAY! I JUST SAW THAT MINE WAS CHIPPED TONIGHT AFTER WAXING IT FOR A CAR SHOW TOMORROW.... :(
Old 06-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
Warranty should cover this issue. Question is why is it chipping or flaking off? If it were mine I would ask the tech who does the repair if he noticed any thing odd when he was prepping the car. (like the paint would not featheredge back from the effected areas)
and they all ride the bus!

Dead Milkmen
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
Swytch

Sorry for the lack of reply to this thread. I just got back from the dealer last night after having them take a look. The body shop manager seemed to think that this had to do with the spoiler being installed incorrectly, he mentioned that it might have been tightened too much or they might have not put the tape on the underside correctly. They are going to take the car for the weekend and see what they can do about it. He offered to repaint the whole deck lid if it needs it, all under warranty. The spot on mine is very small, and under the spoiler, but as he was looking at it last night we noticed a piece of paint from right behind the peeled spot was peeling off as well. I will update this thread when i get the car back from the dealer sometime next week.

As to my VIN, i don't have it in font of me here at work, let me see if i can dig it up from the order status thread.

-Jake
Kooks Signature Series Headers 1-3/4 stepped to 1 7/8, Kooks 3" High Flow Cats, Vararam OTR Cold Air Intake, JRE Performance Tune, RX Catch Can, RX Oil Breather, LSR Tri-Ax short throw shifter, AAC Red/White Halos and Fog Rings, AAC Knight Rider Scanner Bar

Old 06-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
Swytch

My Vin is 2G1FT1EW1A9219506

So car # is 219506 and is also Black.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
Swytch

Looks like this thread has died down, but i just got a call from the body shop manager and wanted to update this thread with the results. I am not able to pick my car up until tomorrow due to work, so no pics yet, but if anyone wants i can post up pics of it fixed late tomorrow.

The manager said they did not feel confident in just doing a touch up, but felt do the size of the spot (same as the first pic in this thread, right by the driver-side of the spoiler) and because it was only that one spot even after the spoiler was removed a full repaint of the lid was unnecessary. He said they "spot painted" it, which i assume means stripped a spot around it, prepped, painted, and re-cleared. I am pretty anal about cleaning this car, so i will know if they did a sub par job pretty quick. Here's hoping there is no over-spray.. I will update with more when i get the car tomorrow if there is more to tell. Also, it was all warranty work, did not cost me a penny.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:17 AM   #11
Camaro8810

Drives: Black 2010 2LT RS
I just noticed tonight after my first wash that i have the paint chipping issue with the spoiler. Not a happy camper right now. Monday morning cant get here soon enough so I can take her back to the dealer to be looked at. Ive only had her for a week!
Old 07-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #12
robsmack920

Drives: 2010 2SS #3894
same thing on my SS... but mine is about 5 inches long, they keep telling me to bring in back in a week and they will find out from the manufacture, is your spoiler loose on the right side also?
robsmack920 is offline   Reply With Quote