Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
GM touch up paint

Hey guys,

I got a bottle of the GM touch up paint with my car that I unfortunately need to use after only owning my Camaro for 2 weeks.

The chip is small....looks like some dork opened his car door into my passenger door. One look at the brush that came with the touch up paint and I knew I didn't want to use it...way too big for the size of the chip and it's a pretty crappy brush anyway.

I paint models as another hobby (Warhammer!) so I decided to use my fine tipped hobby brushes to apply the paint for more precision and control, but the paint dries so fast I was hardly able to get any off the brush and onto the chipped area!

Does anybody know of a thinner that could be used with the paint that will extend the drying time for a bit?

Cheers guys,

Nick
NicksVSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
don0fthedead

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
Sorry, I can't personally help, but perhaps a bump will bring this post more attention. After about 2 months of having my car, I had a similar thing happen to me (looks as if someone opened their door into mine). I bought some of the touch-up paint a while back, but have just been unfortunate with timing. Either have been too busy or its been bad weather for me to get this job done. However, my chip is really small as well and I think the brush would do a rather crappy job.

Any special tips before I go blotching up my car? :P
don0fthedead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
Heliwrench

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS
I'm still waiting for the "How to repair paint chips" video from Junkman *hint hint*
Suspension: BMR Trailing Arms and Bushings, FE6 Swaybar Conversion With Pedders 27mm Front and 32mm Rear ZL1 Swaybars and Links
Chassis: Hotchkis Chassis Max Brace, BMR Pro Cradle Bushings
Exterior:: Shine by Adam's.
...and plenty more
Heliwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
Actually, after thinking about it, I think part of my problem might have been:
a) it's been REALLY hot here in Ottawa of late, that might have caused the very small amount of paint on my brush to begin drying faster than normal, and
b) I was using a sable (natural fibre) brush as opposed to nylon. In my experience you normally only want to use sable brushes with acrylic/water based paints and not oil based laquers, which is what th etouch up paint is. Oil based paints tend to "glide" off nylon brushes much more readily.

It's my theory, anyway.
I'm going to go pick up some fine tipped nylon brushes and give it a whirl. I'll post my findings here afterwards.
NicksVSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
Sierra

Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
Toothpicks