Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 04-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #1093
GTPprix
I hack cars.

Drives: Lots ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagliaro View Post
If a forumer here has they haven't come forward yet. Besides Gen5DIY is cheaper. (And GTPprix programs it right) We don't know the extent of these guys programming.

Already fixed one from this place.....
Old 04-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #1094
Ruebernard

Drives: 2017 GRT 2SS/RS M6 Vert
Quote:
If a forumer here has they haven't come forward yet. Besides Gen5DIY is cheaper. (And GTPprix programs it right) We don't know the extent of these guys programming.
I purchased a MyLink unit w/nav from Autospatech. I couldn't be happier. The unit is performing PERFECTLY, have had no issues at all with mine. The guys at Autopsatech are very professional and they were always available to answer questions. I had mine installed by Mr Kustom here in Chicago. They did an amazing job! You might have purchased you parts for less but I thought the convenience of not having to source all the components was worth the extra $$$$
Old 04-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #1095
GTPprix
I hack cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruebernard View Post
I purchased a MyLink unit w/nav from Autospatech. I couldn't be happier. The unit is performing PERFECTLY, have had no issues at all with mine. The guys at Autopsatech are very professional and they were always available to answer questions. I had mine installed by Mr Kustom here in Chicago. They did an amazing job! You might have purchased you parts for less but I thought the convenience of not having to source all the components was worth the extra $$$$

Until you try to update it and discover you have a brick lol
Old 04-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #1096
Ruebernard

Drives: 2017 GRT 2SS/RS M6 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPprix View Post
Well everyone does have an opinion, don't they?
Old 04-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #1097
GTPprix
I hack cars.

Quote:

Yup, the difference is this is fact.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #1098
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
Quote:
Already fixed one from this place.....
How much did it differ from the way you program it. (If you can answer without giving away secrets)

Quote:
Thank you, I respect your decision to go the route you did for the reasons you chose. It also satisfied my curiosity to whether or not they were legit. Plus you got it installed before most of us here. I just wanted to hear input from someone who got it and you supplied me with that.

For me on the other hand I wanted to see it through with Gen5DIY as I like how I've become more willing to do stuff I'd never attempt to do before in any car. Saving money was also a bonus for me and seeing as I already had developed a customer relationship with GEN5DIY it was an easy choice. Go with a company that gave me excellent service before. I couldn't justify paying as much as you may have. (Keep in mind I don't know your totals, nor do you know mine) I also enjoy the DIY aspect and the C5 community. Autotechspa would not take in units so I was glad to hear Gen5DIY's and GTPprix would support my unit that I sourced. (I got it at a really good deal)

Quote:
Is this what happened to the one you fixed?

What about your units? I know they are loaded with the most recent SW but won't they brick as well if we try to update?

Quote:
That's purely in the definition of opinion is it not? Though you may want to take that as advice and not update. Also make note to dealers not to perform updates either.

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #1099
GTPprix
I hack cars.

Quote:
How much did it differ from the way you program it. (If you can answer without giving away secrets)

Is this what happened to the one you fixed?

What about your units? I know they are loaded with the most recent SW but won't they brick as well if we try to update?
The one I fixed had the wrong calibration OS in it for the actual core operating system on the unit, the wrong Audio and EQ calibrations and the wrong primary vin in it. Not to mention it was still setup for the 13 revision bus so while it "looked like it was working" it was working at about 1/2 its speed with errors up the wazoo and functions not completing.

They don't have the ability to make custom software like we do, hence why I took the time to make things work properly

This is why GM says a lllll over the place (to the point someone made a youtube video LOL) that you can't swap modules on Global A Vehicles which is exactly what happened in this instance.

Our units CAN be upgraded although we do have to do it, the difference is you actually have the option.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:37 PM   #1100
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
GTPprix, if they need to be updated sometime in the future, how would that be done, would the silver box need to be sent back to you guys or is that something that could be done through the usb kinda like a TV firmware update?
Old 04-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #1101
USCAMARO14

Drives: 2LS 2014
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
GTPprix, if they need to be updated sometime in the future, how would that be done, would the silver box need to be sent back to you guys or is that something that could be done through the usb kinda like a TV firmware update?
X2?
Old 04-09-2014, 08:51 PM   #1102
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
Quote:
The one I fixed had the wrong calibration OS in it for the actual core operating system on the unit, the wrong Audio and EQ calibrations and the wrong primary vin in it. Not to mention it was still setup for the 13 revision bus so while it "looked like it was working" it was working at about 1/2 its speed with errors up the wazoo and functions not completing.

They don't have the ability to make custom software like we do, hence why I took the time to make things work properly

This is why GM says a lllll over the place (to the point someone made a youtube video LOL) that you can't swap modules on Global A Vehicles which is exactly what happened in this instance.

Our units CAN be upgraded although we do have to do it, the difference is you actually have the option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCAMARO14 View Post
X2?
Looks like we'd have to send in the unit in that case. However we seem to have that option. I'd pick and choose before doing so. I mean the updates would have to be pretty drastic and outweigh not using it in the meantime.

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #1103
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Quote:
Looks like we'd have to send in the unit in that case. However we seem to have that option. I'd pick and choose before doing so. I mean the updates would have to be pretty drastic and outweigh not using it in the meantime.
Either that, or we help GTPprix get a core exchange program started like Mike the Powder coater does with brake calipers. My guess though is that there won't be that many updates for MyLink to worry about it.
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #1104
leocelular

Drives: cmaro ss
My 2012 camaro is if I buy it http://autospatech.com/navi/chevrole...avigation.html
will work perfectly? without headache?
what is this * VIN # is Programming?
leocelular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:31 PM   #1105
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
That is the number in the car windshield, all cars have it, that way they send it to you ready to go for your car only.

Last edited by 2SSRS@Gen5diy; 04-10-2014 at 07:11 PM.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #1106
GTPprix
I hack cars.

Adding Mylink to older gen5 camaro's

Quote:
Originally Posted by leocelular View Post
My 2012 camaro is if I buy it http://autospatech.com/navi/chevrole...avigation.html
will work perfectly? without headache?
what is this * VIN # is Programming?

This has been answered a million times (ok almost) no. Changing bus revisions requires custom software.

Not only is the gen5diy kit cheaper but it's actually programmed right and upgradable