Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Best trailing arms for the ZL1

any body replace the trailing arms yet. The only ones I have seen ZL1 specific so far are SPI I think.

I get a tiny bit of wheel hop and it pisses me off.

I might just order the spi units but I noticed they were bushed instead of spherical bearing's. I had squeeks more than I hat road hum. So if anybody has the spi and can cofirm they are squeak free that help me or point me to another good option.

my criteria light, strong, as noise free as possible.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
MrDew

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #165
Check with TPower... he has those arms installed!
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239381

MrDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
tpower
DBLCHBY III

Drives: 15 1LE
I have not heard any noise from the trailing arms and they have 4000 miles on them
Old 09-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
Sharp-ZL1
MSG,Retired US. ARMY

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 11 XC 90, 15 BMW 328i SW
I am waiting on my control arms and Toe Rods from Phadt. will let you know how there are when I get them on.

http://www.pfadtracing.com/photos/sh....php/photo/984
http://www.pfadtracing.com/photos/sh...php/photo/1779
Sharp-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Any of our 2010+ Camaro BMR trailing trailing arms will fit your ZL1 so we have a few varaitions tailored to fit your needs. If you have any questions or if I can help you out let me know. Here are a couple of pictures of BMR trailing arms.
Attached Images

BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
hognutz

Hmm now I am torn. they all look pretty nice.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
Old 09-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
BMR Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
Hmm now I am torn. they all look pretty nice.
It really just comes down to what your end goals are with the car and what kind of driving you are going to be doing. No matter which variation you choose of our trailing arms it will be an upgrade over the factory stuff you have on there right now. If there is any way I can help you out let me know.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #8
hognutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
It really just comes down to what your end goals are with the car and what kind of driving you are going to be doing. No matter which variation you choose of our trailing arms it will be an upgrade over the factory stuff you have on there right now. If there is any way I can help you out let me know.
how are the sphercial arms on road noise? I like the look of those arms but as fat as this car is I like the wieght reduction of the Pfadt arms although I am sure it is only a couple lbs.

basically I just want the wheel hop gone period and no squeaks or binding from poly bushings. I don't know if I just have bad luck but every time I run poly bushings I hate them. On my last mustang the MM spherical lower arms just elimnated wheel hop but there was a slight hum of road noise though. on this car I have read the trailing arms are a good place to start wheel hop.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
Old 09-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
BMR Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
how are the sphercial arms on road noise? I like the look of those arms but as fat as this car is I like the wieght reduction of the Pfadt arms although I am sure it is only a couple lbs.

basically I just want the wheel hop gone period and no squeaks or binding from poly bushings. I don't know if I just have bad luck but every time I run poly bushings I hate them. On my last mustang the MM spherical lower arms just elimnated wheel hop but there was a slight hum of road noise though. on this car I have read the trailing arms are a good place to start wheel hop.
You will honestly really notice no change in ride quality at all from using the spherical arms versus the poly-urethane arms. The nice thing about the spherical trailing arms is that hold up to massive amounts of abuse and articulate very well. There is only a small weight difference between their arms and ours but having weight in this area isn't necessarily a bad thing because it also helps to stabilize the rear suspension which will in turn also help out with the wheel hopand suspension control.

Trailing arms are definitely the place to start to eliminate wheel hop. Our BMR spherical trailing arms really sound like the best option for you. They will perform well and control the wheel hop, stay quite, and don't bind up since the spherical bearings articulate very well in them.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #10
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
We currently have a trailing arm that will bolt directly up to the ZL1 with no problems at all. Our trailing arm kits include both poly bushings needed on each end of the arm, and once properly installed will be just as quiet as the stock arm is.

The install is really pretty simple and does not require an alignment afterwards, although getting one at the same time is a great idea. We even offer the Trailing Arms in a package with our Rear Toe Rods for a simple one stop to address the rear control arms.

Rear Trailing Arms

Rear Arm Package, including trailing arms and toe rods.

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
I seen a pic on FB, you are developing a set for 15 wide wheels?
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
i had a set of your spherical ones on my 2000 ss and as far as performance they were great but the noise sucked so i went to a poly version. I dont know what i will do for the Zl1. I am an engineer for a spherical bearing company and we have a few trade secret things we are working on for longer life improved movement reduced torque and self lubricating so i may buy an arm and put my own bearing in it
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #13
BMR Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
I seen a pic on FB, you are developing a set for 15 wide wheels?
The new brake/suspension we are developing now is so you can use a 15" tall wheel. We are developing it to help out the guys concentrating on drag racing or straight line performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by closs2sx View Post
i had a set of your spherical ones on my 2000 ss and as far as performance they were great but the noise sucked so i went to a poly version. I dont know what i will do for the Zl1. I am an engineer for a spherical bearing company and we have a few trade secret things we are working on for longer life improved movement reduced torque and self lubricating so i may buy an arm and put my own bearing in it
The design of the rear suspension on your 2000 SS (solid axle) is much different than the new ZL1 (irs) which leads to it being way more likely to transfer noise. On the new Camaros you can get away with having spherical bearings and solid mounts in certain area and have no deterioration in ride quality. The two car are two completely different animals.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #14
Sharp-ZL1
MSG,Retired US. ARMY

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 11 XC 90, 15 BMW 328i SW
I final got the toe rods put on. I didn't have time to install the control arms but will soon. I took a picture of them installed and the bent one that I took off. Will update the when I get the other arms installed. The right side was easy to install but the left side was a lot harder to get the bolt out because of the fuel tank. I had to drop the sub frame bolts. But one the most part was easy do it yourself job. After install I did have to get an alignment done.
Attached Images

Sharp-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote