Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #477
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
...Most but not all of us older guys, have done the 1/4 mile and street thing back in the 60's and 70's and are now well beyond that in what we want and expect.
I did my street thing in the 80's, and 1/4 mile stuff in the 80s, 90s, & 00s. Given my advancing age, what should I want and expect? I already have a Vette, so I'm certainly not looking at a great ride, easy ingress/egress, or cheap mods...
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #478
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
I'll chime in here... I don't think this should have come as a suprise for anyone. Both are fine cars and both have come a long way. When we talk about easier to drive on a daily basis, we all knew the ZL1 would be the choice here. The suspension setup and IRS makes sure of that. From a numbers perspective, you could tell the GT500 was going to be the straight line winner and on the roadcoarse it would be a close race with the ZL1 winning in the corners and the GT500 on the straights.

The point is that there will always be CHEVY only people and FORD only people .. both are winners. For us that are not brand loyal, it just gives us more options
Old 06-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #479
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
I did my street thing in the 80's, and 1/4 mile stuff in the 80s, 90s, & 00s. Given my advancing age, what should I want and expect? I already have a Vette, so I'm certainly not looking at a great ride, easy ingress/egress, or cheap mods...

When your around 60ish you will want as many comforts as possible. I find the ZL1 to have a good balance of comfort and performance.

I also have a SS with LS3 and a Sky Redline. The Redline is fun as hell and can out maneuver both the Camaros. The problem is the car will beat you up pretty bad, and I'm good for about a hour of driving and need a break from it.

The SS has much more brut force than the Redline, is more comfortable and I can drive it for about 4 hours before needing a break.

The ZL1 on the other hand has the most power of the three, and has the most comfort hands down and I can drive it for a good 8 hours before needing a break.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #480
adamgl

Drives: '98 Camaro Z28, '06 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve View Post
Hennessey is a "little" overpriced though, correct?
I wouldn't say "little" lol. Almost double
'06 Z06 2LZ, Cam, P/P/M Heads, FAST Intake/TB, ARH, CAI, HP Clutch/FW, C5 Axles,
Pfadt Coilovers/Poly Bushings, Carbon Fiber: Everything, lol. HID's, 360 Forged Spec 5's/Invo's, Custom Interior. 550 RWHP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235911
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #481
Bob Cosby

Quote:
When your around 60ish you will want as many comforts as possible. I find the ZL1 to have a good balance of comfort and performance.

I also have a SS with LS3 and a Sky Redline. The Redline is fun as hell and can out maneuver both the Camaros. The problem is the car will beat you up pretty bad, and I'm good for about a hour of driving and need a break from it.

The SS has much more brut force than the Redline, is more comfortable and I can drive it for about 4 hours before needing a break.

The ZL1 on the other hand has the most power of the three, and has the most comfort hands down and I can drive it for a good 8 hours before needing a break.
Hey - you bought what was right for you - will not fault anybody for that!

I've got a bit over 10 years before I hit the 60 mark - and I don't ever intend to get old!!! Ok ok, let's just say I intend to fight the hell out of it...

Anyway, I don't care for skinny front tires anymore, but other than that, exceptional comfort is just not as big of a deal to me as it obviously is for you. But seeing as a lean to the drag racing side of things, a hard-sprung, bouncy ride is not something I'd ever really have to worry about. Heck, on my 99 Cobra street/race car, I'd turn my front drag shock to full hard, rear ones to full soft, and be all set for the street.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #482
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
I have not been behind the wheel of either. You have a ZL1...have you been behind the wheel of a GT500? If so, how did *you* rate each and what made you decide on the ZL1?
Thanks for asking! Yes... I have been behind the wheel of a GT500 (albeit two years ago). Not the new one. But still very similar in interior & overall design. I drove it. I drove it in the rain (the GT500). My first impression was how the windows seemed to jiggle in the door when I closed it. The second impression was the rain making such a loud tapping pinging sound on the roof I couldn't hear the radio very well. The impression left me feeling like it was just too lightweight and there may be some quality compromises. My drive did not leave me "wanting one".... (nor for that matter did a standard Camaro at the time), BUT for a very small time I was considering a GT500 because Camaro did not have a HP version from which to choose. My patience eventually paid off. I know the new GT500 is almost totally different than two years ago... but the long term "quality" of not only the brakes, but the door hinges, window mechanisms, etc was just something I would not take a risk on. I have to wonder how the new tighter suspension will create rattles etc.

The ZL1, in my assessment, would never result in "buyers remorse" three years down the road. All the magazine articles seem to have that same conclusion, so I feel valid in my purchase decision, which was made prior to those articles coming out!

Now, the new GT500 just might have addressed my "nitpicky" complaints. Granted. But.... until the totally new Mustang comes out and the totally new Camaro comes out, the ZL1 is the SATISFYING choice that will outlast my expectations. At that time, I "might" reconsider" the whole thing, but in my lifetime (sorry to be nostalgic), the ZL1 is the BEST all around American made muscle/street factory car to come out in 40 years. Props to the Stang for achieving top honors in HP from the factory though. It does make me want to drive one of them too. For one lap in dry weather.

Edit: Also want to add that my brother had a 2008 6 speed manual Corvette that he drove the P$$ out of (street/strip) and it didn't have a single rattle. I could feel the quality being put into the GM cars. It's tightness and esthetics really impressed me. The design/quality focus on the ZL1 was proclaimed early and my order was in without ever knowing what it would actually drive like. Because I knew GM was doing performance cars "right"...
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #483
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
the ZL1 is the BEST all around American made muscle/street factory car to come out in 40 years.
Except that Muscle cars didn't specialize in turning and the ZL1's 1/4mi times really aren't all that impressive..
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #484
oortcloud

Drives: 2013 ZL1 ordered
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-little-perspective View Post
Take Mustang and Camaro out of the equation. That might make it more clear.

You could argue that being smart with your money would mean you live with what you have or get something entirely different with less operating cost. But do we really want to go down that road of telling people how to spend their money and how smart you are with your money? I don't think so.
I'm not sure I understand your point. I'm certainly not telling someone how to spend their money. I'm mearly asking why should I pay more?

How can I take those 2 cars out of the equation? The whole point of this thread is to talk about the motor trend review of those 2 cars. They posted the price just like every other review has done.

I priced out about a dozen other cars from ford, chevy, nissan, etc... The zl1 is not the cheapest I looked at but it's also not the most expensive.

The fact is that the zl1 is cheaper and is beating the gt500 on some road courses. And so far it looks like when doing more than a couple laps, the zl1 is possibly the faster car on all road courses. So again, why should I pay more for a car that is not performing as good as the zl1?
oortcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #485
evolve

Drives: 03 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgl View Post
I wouldn't say "little" lol. Almost double
Thats what I was getting at lol.
evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #486
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:

I've got a bit over 10 years before I hit the 60 mark - and I don't ever intend to get old!!! Ok ok, let's just say I intend to fight the hell out of it...

... I said the same thing when I was younger. It seems when I turned 50, my body decided to start giving me payback for all the stupid crap I did when I was younger. I forget what it's like, to wake in the morning without aches and pain. Now one of the first things I do when getting in either Camaro, is to put the heat on in the seat. Ahhh it feels so good on the old bones ... It's funny how we think a little different when we are older.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #487
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
Except that Muscle cars didn't specialize in turning and the ZL1's 1/4mi times really aren't all that impressive..
True that! 40 years of progress & design showed up in 2012~ The 1/4 mile times ARE impressive to me considering the weight. But I'm more impressed with how the ZL1 feels like I am driving a Go Kart on the street! Truly amazing feel. And, just knowing that 12.0 is doable stock is great. And, knowing that, if I cared to, for about $2500 in bolt ons, I could get the ZL1 into what you call "impressive" territory (11.3-11.7??) neutralizes any 1/4 mile concerns. 12.0 and 4200 lbs (+/-) with what I think we can now agree is "legendary" track skills too is no small feat!

Where can you get this type performance for the same money? With looks to boot!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #488
Bob Cosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
Thanks for asking! Yes... I have been behind the wheel of a GT500 (albeit two years ago). Not the new one. But still very similar in interior & overall design. I drove it. I drove it in the rain (the GT500). My first impression was how the windows seemed to jiggle in the door when I closed it. The second impression was the rain making such a loud tapping pinging sound on the roof I couldn't hear the radio very well. The impression left me feeling like it was just too lightweight and there may be some quality compromises. My drive did not leave me "wanting one".... (nor for that matter did a standard Camaro at the time), BUT for a very small time I was considering a GT500 because Camaro did not have a HP version from which to choose. My patience eventually paid off. I know the new GT500 is almost totally different than two years ago... but the long term "quality" of not only the brakes, but the door hinges, window mechanisms, etc was just something I would not take a risk on. I have to wonder how the new tighter suspension will create rattles etc.

The ZL1, in my assessment, would never result in "buyers remorse" three years down the road. All the magazine articles seem to have that same conclusion, so I feel valid in my purchase decision, which was made prior to those articles coming out!

Now, the new GT500 just might have addressed my "nitpicky" complaints. Granted. But.... until the totally new Mustang comes out and the totally new Camaro comes out, the ZL1 is the SATISFYING choice that will outlast my expectations. At that time, I "might" reconsider" the whole thing, but in my lifetime (sorry to be nostalgic), the ZL1 is the BEST all around American made muscle/street factory car to come out in 40 years. Props to the Stang for achieving top honors in HP from the factory though. It does make me want to drive one of them too. For one lap in dry weather.

Edit: Also want to add that my brother had a 2008 6 speed manual Corvette that he drove the P$$ out of (street/strip) and it didn't have a single rattle. I could feel the quality being put into the GM cars. It's tightness and esthetics really impressed me. The design/quality focus on the ZL1 was proclaimed early and my order was in without ever knowing what it would actually drive like. Because I knew GM was doing performance cars "right"...
Awesome! As I've said to others, you made the right choice for you - congrats!

As for rattles and Corvettes....I have a 2010. It has more rattles than any non-cheap econo car than I've EVER had. Doors are heavy and clunky, and the interior is....eh.....at best. Took it in for minor warranty work this past winter....driver's seat moves forward slightly on quick deceleration, and back slightly on acceleration, driver's side visor holder came off, threads for the bolt are stripped, and the car occasionally won't 'see' the FOB in my pocket when I try to start the engine or turn on the accesories. Given this, my quality perception is no doubt quite different from yours (have had many Mustangs, a few other Fords, a few F-bodies, two Vettes).

Except for the rattles, they fixed all of that. And even with those minor issues, I still love the car....mainly because its has an LS3, is lightweight (by today's standards), and has that wonderful Targa top. My biggest gripe is that it isn't made by Ford.... (hope I don't get in trouble for that one...).

Quote:
... I said the same thing when I was younger. It seems when I turned 50, my body decided to start giving me payback for all the stupid crap I did when I was younger. I forget what it's like, to wake in the morning without aches and pain. Now one of the first things I do when getting in either Camaro, is to put the heat on in the seat. Ahhh it feels so good on the old bones ... It's funny how we think a little different when we are older.
LOL. I get up with aches and pains just about every morning too....but that's because I run and/or workout 6 days a week fighting that age thing....and age says if you're going to do that, you're going to be sore in the morning (at LEAST in the morning!). One of my life goals is to run (eerrr...complete) a marathon at 70 (just ran my 4th back in April). Might not be achievable, but it is good to have goals and to strive for them, I think.

No doubt we think differently as we get older...but I have yet to want to order heated seats...heck, prefer manually-adjusted seats...they weigh less, cost less, and break less.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #489
Betiwin

Drives: CTS-V Coupe and GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oortcloud View Post
I'm not sure I understand your point. I'm certainly not telling someone how to spend their money. I'm mearly asking why should I pay more?

How can I take those 2 cars out of the equation? The whole point of this thread is to talk about the motor trend review of those 2 cars. They posted the price just like every other review has done.

I priced out about a dozen other cars from ford, chevy, nissan, etc... The zl1 is not the cheapest I looked at but it's also not the most expensive.

The fact is that the zl1 is cheaper and is beating the gt500 on some road courses. And so far it looks like when doing more than a couple laps, the zl1 is possibly the faster car on all road courses. So again, why should I pay more for a car that is not performing as good as the zl1?
Because it does perform better than the Zl1 in all speed contests and some roud courses. But you dont have to spend your money on it. Thats the beauty of having two cars. Pick the one the suits you.

You might be right you might be wrong. Just at one review said the shifter in the ZL1 blows, others praise it. Only 1 out 4 said something about the brakes. Who knows maybe they got a ruffed up shelby, maybe they didn't. But you are also paying the $$$ for a car you dont have to open the short block for over 700RWHP, the Chevy/Caddy you do. There is a price premium for that. It looks like not for you and not your taste and that is fine. We are in america, pick what you want.
Betiwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #490
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
There are forum Nazis everywhere. It's really easy to detect them - they're always wanting to ban people and close threads. You can just see their heads explode when they open up threads they know they'll hate so they can bring out the ban flag.

Oh..its what I live for..yes I read the threads just to ban them yes...

Here.. I'll offer some input worthy of this stupid waste of space thread.

igvaiuvhoroibnoiwnvaohghnohgvohfa;oihva;oiwvoqihht voaitvhvhtqu.

There.
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote