Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-31-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
the return of the pony car days

I live in the greater Chicagoland area. I have been to maybe 8 or 10 White Sox games over the years (whenever an opportunity presented itself) and never been to a Cubs game (no opportunities ever came up). I always root for both teams, and would love to see them in a subway series (pretty darn sure that will never happen). I never have understood people who think if you are a fan of one then you must hate the other.

I had a '69 SS396/375hp Chevelle 4-speed from new in 1969 until it was stolen (and never recovered) in 1975. I loved that car! I also very much appreciated the '69 Mustang Mach1 428SCJ and the '70 hemi Challenger. I never would have given up my Chevelle for either of them, but if I'd had a suitcase full of money I would have bought one to go with my SS396. And I don't remember anyone from those days who drove Chevys and hated Fords, or drove Mopars and hated Chevys, or drove Fords and hated Mopars, etc. We appreciated all the top muscle cars of the day.

Why do so many here on Camaro5 hate the current retro-style Mustang? Is everyone so aggravated by watching thousands of Mustangs built over the last several years while there has been no Camaro (or Firebird) produced? Just like the old days, I think the current Mustang, Challenger, and Camaro are all good cars. Styling is a matter of personal preference and to many non-enthusiasts is more important than horsepower or gas mileage ratings. Those people will choose mainly by which car looks best to them. Performance is another story. By coming out last, GM made sure the V6 LT and V8 SS Camaros both have the competition covered with more horsepower, more transmission gears, and IRS in all trim levels. But I'm looking forward to seeing all of the modern pony cars on the road next year, from the 370hp Challenger R/T to the 422hp Camaro SS to the 300hp (or so) Mustang GT. I like the styling of all of them and I'm just glad the good old days are almost here again - for what looks to be a limited time curtain call only.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
personally i think a lot of newcomers are coming from imports and they still have hate for domestics, unfortunately for the mustang it is one of the most iconic domestic cars and gets a lot of fodder
Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
I live in the greater Chicagoland area. I have been to maybe 8 or 10 White Sox games over the years (whenever an opportunity presented itself) and never been to a Cubs game (no opportunities ever came up). I always root for both teams, and would love to see them in a subway series (pretty darn sure that will never happen). I never have understood people who think if you are a fan of one then you must hate the other.

I had a '69 SS396/375hp Chevelle 4-speed from new in 1969 until it was stolen (and never recovered) in 1975. I loved that car! I also very much appreciated the '69 Mustang Mach1 428SCJ and the '70 hemi Challenger. I never would have given up my Chevelle for either of them, but if I'd had a suitcase full of money I would have bought one to go with my SS396. And I don't remember anyone from those days who drove Chevys and hated Fords, or drove Mopars and hated Chevys, or drove Fords and hated Mopars, etc. We appreciated all the top muscle cars of the day.

Why do so many here on Camaro5 hate the current retro-style Mustang? Is everyone so aggravated by watching thousands of Mustangs built over the last several years while there has been no Camaro (or Firebird) produced? Just like the old days, I think the current Mustang, Challenger, and Camaro are all good cars. Styling is a matter of personal preference and to many non-enthusiasts is more important than horsepower or gas mileage ratings. Those people will choose mainly by which car looks best to them. Performance is another story. By coming out last, GM made sure the V6 LT and V8 SS Camaros both have the competition covered with more horsepower, more transmission gears, and IRS in all trim levels. But I'm looking forward to seeing all of the modern pony cars on the road next year, from the 370hp Challenger R/T to the 422hp Camaro SS to the 300hp (or so) Mustang GT. I like the styling of all of them and I'm just glad the good old days are almost here again - for what looks to be a limited time curtain call only.
I am with you littlecammi. One of the best pictures I have seen of the Camaro to date is the one of the Camaro, Mustang and Challenger together. We need all these designs to come back. Frankly, without the success of the Mustang and the hype of the Challenger, who knows we might never have gotten the Camaro. Kudos to Dodge, Ford and Chevy. But frankly, a little smack talk is all in good fun.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
I'm glad there is a Mustang and Challenger as competition. It breeds quality.

However I've known Fords as Found On Road Dead since I was a little kid. It's all in good fun!!

These days as long as it's domestic, I'm glad they stayed with the US of A!

For me, I'll stick with my Chevrolets!!
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
i'm with z28camaro2471 in that having that competition forces each company to make quality products so as to not get left behind. all my life, i've been a ford basher, but it's been in good fun 'cause a had a bunch of ford-fan friends. having driven 4 fords & 2 chevys myself, i can't really say one brand performed any worse than the other compared to similar vehicles. but friendly rivalry does make it fun.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:07 AM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I've got nothing against any of them. I wouldn't buy them. Plain and simple. I want the Chevy. They are great cars. But the Camaro wins hands down.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:59 AM   #8
swifttal

Drives: '91 Z-28
Rivalry... it's a good thing. No doubt the mustangs a good looking car - if I wasn't hardcore chevy, I would've bought a black GT a couple years ago. Got pretty close when the new Mustang body style came out and the bitter aftertaste of the abandoned camaro was left lingering... that was about the same timeframe that i read that the real reason the camaro was canceled was really about closing down a factory burning a hole in GM's pocket... bitter times - came pretty close

but fortunately for me, Ford just sucks...

What? I'm just saying...
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote