Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 04-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
Newb question...sorry!

OK, I searched and searched the forums and found many references TO CEL but nothing that explained what a CEL actually IS or what causes it.

So....what's a CEL and what causes it?

Sorry for the newb question...
Old 04-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
CEL stands for Check Engine Light. It's a little light that pops up on your gauge cluster that looks like a small engine. you can read about it in your manual.

It goes off when the computer in your car reads something is wrong. It can be from an aftermarket part, or just a defective part in the car that isn't working properly. there are many reasons why it can turn on. Best way to tell if it's not obvious, is to go to autozone and have them scan it. They can give you the code that it's reading, then you can go online and search for what it means, or they might already know off the top of their head.

The dreaded CEL:
Old 04-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
NicksVSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
CEL stands for Check Engine Light. It's a little light that pops up on your gauge cluster that looks like a small engine. you can read about it in your manual.

It goes off when the computer in your car reads something is wrong. It can be from an aftermarket part, or just a defective part in the car that isn't working properly. there are many reasons why it can turn on. Best way to tell if it's not obvious, is to go to autozone and have them scan it. They can give you the code that it's reading, then you can go online and search for what it means, or they might already know off the top of their head.

The dreaded CEL:
OK, thanks, that shoulda been obvious to me, lol.
The reason why I asked is that in this forum I've read a number of occasions where a K&N CIA caused a CEL to go off. Is this a common problem with them or is it largely due to an improper install?

It's basically a toss-up between Injen, K&N and Roto-Fab. I'm not really interested in which one has *the best* performance, rather which one will be more reliable, easy to install and be easy on my peace of mind. I am an almost obssessive worrier when it comes to the things I own, so I would want the CIA that helps me sleep at night *more* than the CIA that helps me kick ass at the track.

Thanks again
Old 04-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
NicksVSix

Mods, could you please move this to "Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons" I posted in the wrong forum by mistake....thanks.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
I can't honestly say why people are getting a CEL with the K&N. Some could be improper install, some might be defective in some way. I've never worked with K&N before. So for me, your two choices are injen and Roto-fab. You can get the short ram Injen intake for the easier install, but if you are thinking the long tube, then it is definitely a little harder of an install compared to roto-fab. Some people also worry about hydro-locking their engine with the long tube injen. But it's really not a problem at all. They have a hydro-shield to help ease peoples minds. So, with the process of elimination, looks like roto-fab is the one for you. lol
Old 04-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #6
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
OP look no further than the CAI intake. I can't imagine an easier intake install. If you know what your doing it's a 15 minute or less install. If you don't, maybe 50 mins.

Mines been on for 2 plus weeks and no CEL so far. As per performance from 4000-7000 RPM it's king. The sound is awesome. And my top end is not only smoother, it's more urgent. And it prolly looks the baddest too.

My biased .02 Happy hunting bro.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote