Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #43
2SSONLY

Drives: FAST!
I've tried many of the suggestions on this site including the micro fiber towel, chamois, leaf blower but the one I think works the best are the high quality 100% cotton towels (Field Crest or comparable high end brand) bought at bed bath and beyond (Don't get the ones from Wal Mart or Kmart). The only down fall is once you cut the borders off, they fray once washed.

My car is black too by the way and it is a real pain to avoid scratches and find the right combo of stuff to detail it without streaks. I usually use a combo of the blower, chamois and cotton towels for drying and only the cotton towels for the detail spray. Have not tried the zaino towels yet.

Good luck. Love black but wow, VERY high maintenance! (still the best looking color IMO)
2SSONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #44
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie.Gilmour View Post
Thats what I have been using and they arn't that awesome...I am loooking for something else to dry the car off with
give the absorber a shot.You can get it at wally world (walmart)

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #45
buddylok

Drives: -
I use mr. Clean autodry, no need to use any cloth to dry the car.

It sprays de-ionized water and it will dry itself without leaving any water spot.

Highly recommended !
buddylok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:53 AM   #46
bluman

Drives: '10 Corvette GS/'13 Mustang
I use an electric leaf blower, works like a charm
2010 Camaro SIM/CGM RS/2LT VIN #310 SOLD

2010 Corvette Grand Sport
bluman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #47
broncosman

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Send a message via Skype™ to broncosman
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb-rocks View Post
doood...just go buy one of those big Costco Patio Umbrella's that's sorta "Cantileverd" and use it as shade cover when you spend a hour or 2 out washing your baby....!

2SS/RS with painted Rally Stripes
http://www.h-towncamaroclub.com/index.php
broncosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #48
fmdog44

Drives: 1965 impala
1.- get on wide open road
2.- maximum acceleration for 60 straight seconds.
3.- push "Cruise Control" button.
4.- turn on the radio
fmdog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #49
M3NTA7

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Transformer Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcannan354 View Post
I like to take it for a ride to dry it off. Just drive it down the road at 70 MPH or about 5 minutes and it is completely dry. Nothing ever had to touch the car = no marks. Mom told me to work smart, not hard.
I know this is a really old thread.

Whenever I've tried this method, the air vortex behind the car pulls some dust onto the back of the car and sticks to what remaining water is there. Mainly under the license plate and on the ledges under the rear lights.
M3NTA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #50
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluman View Post
I use an electric leaf blower, works like a charm
Not a good idea. You can't use a leaf blower without turning up a lot of debris around your car
even if you cant see it.
I'm old school- IMO like so many others said here, a 100% cotton towel does the job best.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #51
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
I Disagree, 100%.

Before I wash my car, I hit the driveway with the electric leaf blower to get rid of the big stuff off the driveway, then I wash my car (2 bucket wash with foam gun of course) After that, the ground all around the car is wet so even in the sun and after drying the car, there isn't much that come back up and on to the car.

Every time you're touching your car with the cotton towel, you're likely scratching your clear unless you have a thick coat of wax on the surface but you'll eventually need to strip and reapply to the point that there will be no protection at some point in your drying process. It's really at that point that you'll start scratching up your clear.

A close up picture of your paint (using a flash) after drying with a cotton towel will likely reveal a number of swirls, and if you're cleaning your cotton towels the same way you'd clean your other household towels, I guarantee you have swirls.

No disrespect, but I've done it wrong for years and couldn't understand why until I joined the forum and found the right way to do it.

youTube Junkman2000 and follow his advice on everything from wash, polish to waxing and your paint will thank you for it.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #52
LOOT310

Drives: 2011 2SS
Anyone that has a black car knows drying technique is more important for them. IMO, this is the ideal way to dry a car:

-Use filtered RO/distilled water
-Sheet the car with the nozzle off for the final rinse (some ppl call this cascading) - u just want the water to sheet off so not many droplets are left
-Use a leaf blower to remove the excess water
-Use a detailing spray and good microfiber to remove any water spots and finish the job

This is close to impossible to do correctly with a black car in the sun. Find shade.
LOOT310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:00 PM   #53
BlkBty

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOT310 View Post
Anyone that has a black car knows drying technique is more important for them. IMO, this is the ideal way to dry a car:

-Use filtered RO/distilled water
-Sheet the car with the nozzle off for the final rinse (some ppl call this cascading) - u just want the water to sheet off so not many droplets are left
-Use a leaf blower to remove the excess water
-Use a detailing spray and good microfiber to remove any water spots and finish the job

This is close to impossible to do correctly with a black car in the sun. Find shade.
You need to watch the Adams videos.. Ive been to the Adams car wash clinic and had my eyes opened.. Microfiber towels are the worst thing for your paint(swirls the crap out of your clear) And those MF towels are made in China and they are like sand paper.. If anything, like above stated.. Watch the Junkman2000 videos on Youtube..
BlkBty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #54
LOOT310

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkBty View Post
You need to watch the Adams videos.. Ive been to the Adams car wash clinic and had my eyes opened.. Microfiber towels are the worst thing for your paint(swirls the crap out of your clear) And those MF towels are made in China and they are like sand paper.. If anything, like above stated.. Watch the Junkman2000 videos on Youtube..
Clean, high quality MF towels absolutely do not cause swirl marks.
LOOT310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #55
Vintage-Iron
Banned

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS/RS
Gas Leaf Blower works the best then finish up around emblems with clean white towel...
Vintage-Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #56
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage-Iron View Post
Gas Leaf Blower works the best then finish up around emblems with clean white towel...
I agree with Blkbty, watch the Junkman videos. The gas leaf blower can actually leave a sticky film from the exhaust from the leaf blower.

It's been recommended ( and debated ...) to use an electric leaf blower or master blaster when blow drying your car.