Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #43
BlemsBumble

Drives: '13 ZL1 #662; '10 SS; '99 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcd View Post
I would have gladly paid the extra money to cover the gas-guzzler tax.
This is what I am currently thinking as well.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #44
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
In addition to the gas guzzler tax. As a whole GM has to meet an average level of MPG among all cars sold. Which means they need to sell a whole bunch of Volts so they can average out the MPG of high performance cars and SUV's. Maybe someone knows more details without getting political, but I think it has to do with the bailout. Don't quote me on that.

My Tahoe has AFM and it displays in the DIC what mode you are in. Here are two pics with V4 mode active. One in Drive and one in Manual while using the Tahoe version of tap shift... both were 6th gear.
Attached Images

mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:38 AM   #45
godeepdown
Jeremy Frye

Drives: 2016 Hyper blue 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
The only information that I have to go one are the e-mails that I have that were sent between myself and our techincal department which I am not allowed to divulge. Also we have agents within the department that work solely with our different vehicles and this answer came from the person that works with the Camaro. If your dealership is unwilling to work with you on this subject I would suggest you ask them to speak with our technical department themselves. I hope that helps you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Jeff,

Any info you have that I could take to the dealer would be greatly appreciated. Or maybe contact info for the proper tech services people to have the dealer talk to.

Thanks
Jeremy
godeepdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #46
Cpanthers85

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
This is simply a recommendation for Chevy, and to support the current talk of deactivating the AFM, through GM. Proof, that they can do it!

When I purchased my 2009 Turbocharged Cobalt SS, GM shortly released what they called a "STAGE 1 KIT". I am not going to get into the technicalities of the "Stage 1 kit", BUT it ultimately was a Tune that re-mapped the airflow sensors, removed the 'learn-down' feature for bolt-on mods, and it also boosted the amount of PSI the turbocharger could push from 16psi to 24psi. The end result was a car that put down 260hp/260 ft lbs of torque, stock, to a car that could put down 280HP/320ft lbs of torque (which was a lot for a 3,000lb car). Okay okay, so what's my point?! IT DIDN'T VOID THE FACTORY POWERTRAIN WARRANTY!

It was $1000 for basically a Facotry Re-tune, that HAD TO BE DONE AT THE DEALER. But for the amount of horsepower/torque that was gained just from the tune, and the ability to have the 'learn-down' feature removed, so I could add bolt-ons for even more HP/TQ, it was WORTH IT!

All I am saying is this... CHEVY! MAKE A STAGE 1 KIT or do a RETUNE FOR THE AUTOMATIC CAMARO'S! WE KNOW YOU CAN DO IT! AND WE WILL PAY TO KEEP OUR WARRANTY!

Mods: Kooks Long Tube Headers, RotoFaB EForce CAI, American Thunder Catback Exhaust, PFADT Stage 1 Drag Kit + Front Sway Bar, GM Strut Tower Bar. ZL1 Fuel Pump. Nitto NT05R. RX Catch Can.LS9 Cam and Springs.LS3 Conversion.JRE Fuel Rail Upgrade.Edelbrock Eforce.60# Eforce Injectors.Extreme Racing Tune. 523/495

MY BUILD THREAD
Cpanthers85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #47
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
Just dropped my car off for service and had a talk with my service manager. His position is pretty clear. This AFM deactivating option must come from GM; i.e. as long as GM will provide a new program to reload, he will be glad to put it in. Otherwise, he can't go in there with a tuner to change any thing in the current/stock program without screwing up your warranty. GM should provide a new program to deactivate AFM in Sport Mode and keep AFM in D mode as an upgrade option. This option will make their customers a lot happier than the current situation.

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #48
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbui View Post
Just dropped my car off for service and had a talk with my service manager. His position is pretty clear. This AFM deactivating option must come from GM; i.e. as long as GM will provide a new program to reload, he will be glad to put it in. Otherwise, he can't go in there with a tuner to change any thing in the current/stock program without screwing up your warranty. GM should provide a new program to deactivate AFM in Sport Mode and keep AFM in D mode as an upgrade option. This option will make their customers a lot happier than the current situation.
Then did the service manager suggest that you contact GM support directly? Or are they going to contact them?
Old 08-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #49
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by godeepdown View Post
Jeff,

Any info you have that I could take to the dealer would be greatly appreciated. Or maybe contact info for the proper tech services people to have the dealer talk to.

Thanks
Jeremy
I'm sorry Jeremy but I can't give out specific information in regards to this subject. All I personally have are internal e-mails and I cannot share those with the general public. I would simply have your dealership service person call our technical team to speak with them about this. Other than that I can't be any more specific. I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you in this situation.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #50
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
Then did the service manager suggest that you contact GM support directly? Or are they going to contact them?
His Regional GM contact person have basically said NO to any changes to the OEM program/tune for ALL GM vehicles as recent as 3 weeks ago. His explanation is simply that, the dealer still have to report your current tune to GM for approval of the warrantied works. If the tune of your VIN does not match the GM's database, your warranty will be denied. The only way around this is if GM was to sell/provide an upgrade factory tune as an option, then GM can update their database and the dealer can install the new tune.

I am still hoping for a better answer from Jeff and/or other GM reps on this forum as to the specific name/channel that we all should be contacting.

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #51
Cpanthers85

We would probably need to get ahold of the person that is in charge of the GM Performance Division for the Camaro, (the guy that does the exhaust and stuff). Of course, with all their focus towards the ZL1...good luck trying to convince them to create a special tune for the Auto SS's.

Mods: Kooks Long Tube Headers, RotoFaB EForce CAI, American Thunder Catback Exhaust, PFADT Stage 1 Drag Kit + Front Sway Bar, GM Strut Tower Bar. ZL1 Fuel Pump. Nitto NT05R. RX Catch Can.LS9 Cam and Springs.LS3 Conversion.JRE Fuel Rail Upgrade.Edelbrock Eforce.60# Eforce Injectors.Extreme Racing Tune. 523/495

MY BUILD THREAD
Cpanthers85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #52
Rencor

To GM - Sux! Wish you had a stick to sell me at the time!
Old 08-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #53
joeysSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I took my SS in yesterday because of a noise that sounds like it's farting at 12-1400 rpms and sometimes just going down the hwy. I did put on a GM after factory exhaust too. The svc guy was trying to tell me he thinks its the AFM and I wasn't buying it, but sounds like it might be. He said the exhaust systems actually enhance that sound. I would not have put it on had I known that.....It is also making a winding sound at low speeds as I accelerate. It's brand new 1000 miles on it. I've had it in the shop at least 9 days since I've had it (since June) and I am beginning to feel like there are some major issues with these cars. I love it but I am not loving the inconvenience of having it at the dealer so much. It's a sports car, it doesn't need freakin the fuel mgmt crap on it! I bought it instead of a Vette I wanted and now I wonder if I made a mistake. I guess I can always keep it for a year then sell it....Hate to do that.

joeysSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #54
VictoryMuscleCars

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS RS Convert
Great thread.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:54 AM   #55
2SS BUMBLBE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS/L99
My negative AFM experience. I put Pfadt engine mounts in a few weeks ago; now when AFM kicks in, the resonation through the passenger cabin is incredibly annoying. My wife even said, "you ruined your car." I am using M with paddles to avoid AFM, but it does not cut it out completely. I figure I can either return to stock mounts or tune out AFM, neither choice is great.
2SS BUMBLBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:02 AM   #56
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS BUMBLBE View Post
My negative AFM experience. I put Pfadt engine mounts in a few weeks ago; now when AFM kicks in, the resonation through the passenger cabin is incredibly annoying. My wife even said, "you ruined your car." I am using M with paddles to avoid AFM, but it does not cut it out completely. I figure I can either return to stock mounts or tune out AFM, neither choice is great.
Just get a handheld SCT tuner from Jannetty Racing and turn off AFM yourself. (It's a very simple process) That way you can just turn it back on when you go in for warranty work. It still "could" void your warranty, but I seriously doubt anyone will call you out on it.