Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
nalinc23

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 6MT
Do you ever feel that other drivers accelerate frustratingly SLOW?

One thing that has really annoyed me lately is how LONG it takes most people to get up to speed from a stop light/stop sign in general.

A few months ago the city installed two new stop lights on the 50 mph parkway on my way to work. Although this was necessary for safety purposes, I swear it takes people forever to get up to 50+ and sometimes the left lane won't even get past 40-45 before they hit the next light! I know we are fortunate to have powerful cars (Camaros mostly) and mild acceleration to us is similar to wide open for economy cars but come on people, it's so annoying! I do have a couple of theories on this, but they're just speculation.

First, I've noticed people accelerate slower down here in the southeast than the northeast (where I am from; ME/NH area). I think folks in general are more laid back and there are less aggressive drivers that force others to either move over or speed up (I am trying to change that, haha jk).

My second theory is that with increasing gas prices people are trying to be conscious of this and be lighter on the throttle. I know this may be a stretch but it's all you hear about lately, complaints about gas prices and I think this could be a determining factor.

Alright, done over-analyzing this, I am just procrastinating sleep and wanted to vent and theorize Please chime in if you agree or have anything to add.

nalinc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Drive me crazy also !!! And for us in Florida THEY'RE BACK ... The Snowbirds, riding the left lane talking on their phones, doing 10 under with no place to go in no big hurry .... ARRG !!! Wish they would work out with their right foot a little, maybe they could push that pedal a little further ... 6 more months before they go back home ...
Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
nalinc23

Hahaha, gotta love it. Why can't the joy-riders that want to go 10 under in the fast lane and take their time just sleep in and cruise around 10 AM, not freakin 7:15 AM!

I hate to typecast all the different driver profiles out there but another thing that I can't stand is the "speed fluctuator" on the highway. Often times people on the phone (leaving genders and ethnicities out of this!) on the interstate that I'll pass with my cruise set at 80-82 mph easily, move over and get in front of then 5 minutes later they're riding my tail and go to pass me, then slow down again, repeat. On numerous occasions I have pointed to the steering wheel and mouthed "Cruise Control" when it gets bad. I could rant forever about this stuff.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels

Drives: '17 Jet Black ZL1
Drives me nuts as well.....especially when they change lanes in front of me into the vacant lane next to another car already at a light, only to accelerate SLOWER than the one they didn't want to stop behind.

And is it just me, or has anyone noticed that the cars that start to inch forward the 5 seconds or so before the light turns green, are ALMOST ALWAYS the slowest ones to accelerate once it does turn green?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
nalinc23

HAHA you hit the nail on the head, especially that first part! Makes NO SENSE. I think that's a form of someone just being on mental auto-pilot mode.

And yes I see that all the time, I think it's drivers that are just excited to get back up to 10 under the limit before the next light. The bad news is I seem to be getting less tolerant lately of it, not sure why. I am definitely not that guy who is always flying past people and weaving in and out (that's bad too) but lately I am starting to drive more aggressively because it gets on my nerves on the way into work.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #6
Jessica-Rocks-
One hot mess

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS
I hate when you are stuck behind someone in the left lane, you speed up slightly to go around them, they get insulted. Gas it. You think they are going to go faster. They don't. You then get stuck in the right lane with Slow-McGee. On the left is Mr. Insulted. I just pray these people can't read lips when I think back later. I tell myself they probably thought I said 'Potlucker'... yeah.. potlucker..
Jessica-Rocks- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
nalinc23

HAHA! You got another one! The "Prideful Driver". I need to write a book about this!

Old 11-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #8
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalinc23 View Post
Hahaha, gotta love it. Why can't the joy-riders that want to go 10 under in the fast lane and take their time just sleep in and cruise around 10 AM, not freakin 7:15 AM!

I hate to typecast all the different driver profiles out there but another thing that I can't stand is the "speed fluctuator" on the highway. Often times people on the phone (leaving genders and ethnicities out of this!) on the interstate that I'll pass with my cruise set at 80-82 mph easily, move over and get in front of then 5 minutes later they're riding my tail and go to pass me, then slow down again, repeat. On numerous occasions I have pointed to the steering wheel and mouthed "Cruise Control" when it gets bad. I could rant forever about this stuff.
Couldn't agree more, I can't tell you how many times I've wished I had missiles attached to my car to blow those non life deserving fails of drivers off the road.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #9
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Couldn't agree more, I can't tell you how many times I've wished I had missiles attached to my car to blow those non life deserving fails of drivers off the road.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #10
ss=scuba steve

Drives: 2011 1SS Cyber Gray Metallic
Shit... you guys need to come to south Florida (downtown Miami and surrounding areas especially). If you want a thrill, go out on 836 or 826. Do it late morning or early afternoon though. Any time other than that it's usually a parking lot.....
Old 11-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #11
khislop007
ZEUSS

Drives: Hard!
This is so true! OMG! I hate those damn slow pokes!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #12
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
I have found my people! I was starting to think it's just me!

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #13
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Oh yeah and when I'm on a freeway or highway that's three lanes wide, its like 11 A.M. so the road is fairly light on traffic. I hate those people that start to ride your ass, especially when I'm sitting the middle lane doing my 55 with cruise on.

Its like COME ON there is no one left on the road and you have two lane options to pass me. I either brake check them or down shift to fourth and set the cruise at 40 MPH so they get the picture.

I've even had people still ride my ass with no one else around at 40 so I've had to brake check them hard. Then they finally go around and don't even have an expression on their face, its like they didn't even realize what they were doing.

ARGHHHHHH

And the idiots on their phones in the left lane going 10 under the limit. WTF! You have NO business being in the left lane if you aren't going to speed, thats just the way I see it.

This stuff gets me so heated I have to chill on my 30 mile round trip excursion to school everyday. Thats why I just sit in the middle with cruise at 55 so everyone will just pass me and I wont be tempted by road rage.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:22 PM   #14
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I just look for the simularities in other's driving habits, not differences, and live life one day at a time.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote