Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
BlownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
GHL PROBLEM !! How did you align your aftermartket exhaust tips?

I just took off my factory exhaust with muffler delete and put on a GHL catback. The exhaust system is like a pice of jewelry that sounds great! Problem is that the rear of the care has dual exhaust hangers right at the black that makes it so there are 4 points total holding them in place......whereas the rest of the exhaust is slip-fit for "easy install" Easy install my a$$! i cannot get the both of them to line up. One sticks out of the diffuser about 3 inches and the other is about an inch.......one of them rubs on the top of the diffuser hole and the other is centered. WTF? the hangers are so close to the tips, that they cannot be adjusted up/down or in/out.........Im at a loss for understanding how to adjust them......the hangers mounted to the body are fixxed and non adjustable also!!!

2010 IOM SS/RS LS3, Hennessey HPE550 Polished Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger. 3.4 Pulley. Kooks long tube headers / high flow cats. GHL Full exhaust. ZL1 Fuel Pump/ADM FPCM. MSW Bap. JRE ZL1 Race cam with new springs/pushrods/Trunion Upgrade. FIC 850cc injectors. ZR1 Map sensor. CAI Induction. JRE Tune.

Last edited by BlownSS; 01-19-2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: misspelled
BlownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
dfairman
KKLR BEE

Drives: Rally Yellow 2SS manual
1. Take it somewhere and let them do it right for you 50-100 bucks.
2. Get a ruber mallot and make sure you're getting the tubes inserted as far as possible.

I recommend #1, it's worth it.

Not speeding... just qualifying
dfairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
BlownSS

i would take it to get fixxed but by the way that they are held on in the back, there is no movement if you line them up with the hangers on the car in relation to the hangers on the mufflers that GHL sent me. It can only sit one way......I tried to reverse the rubbr hangers and switch directions but no dice. I think that at least one of the muffler/exhaust pipes is out of whack
2010 IOM SS/RS LS3, Hennessey HPE550 Polished Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger. 3.4 Pulley. Kooks long tube headers / high flow cats. GHL Full exhaust. ZL1 Fuel Pump/ADM FPCM. MSW Bap. JRE ZL1 Race cam with new springs/pushrods/Trunion Upgrade. FIC 850cc injectors. ZR1 Map sensor. CAI Induction. JRE Tune.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
dfairman
KKLR BEE

Drives: Rally Yellow 2SS manual
I'm tellin ya... I adjusted mine 5 times and melted my diffuser. I got frustrated at the way it looked like it can't be adjusted anymore too. Took it to a pro and 20 minutes later, I've never looked back. It's worth every penny.

Not speeding... just qualifying
dfairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Yep I had a shop align mine.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
This might sound hokey but make sure you have the pipes that go from the cats to the straight ones on the correct sides. The only two that are bent. When I installed mine I inadvertently put them on the wrong sides, since they aren't really marked, and had an exhaust leak. This might, MIGHT, affect the length as they exit, thus lining up out back.

Just a though, hope it helps.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
BlownSS

they are at the correct length......and they line right up where they are supposed to be just below the hangers mounted on the body......I would have it aligned at a shop but these are a polished stainless steel and im afraid that the Pros may mess them up if they have to re-weld the hangers or something.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Sounds like if you arent willing to let the pros do it correctly, then your S@#*T out of luck.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:36 AM   #9
BlownSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
Sounds like if you arent willing to let the pros do it correctly, then your S@#*T out of luck.

No......apparently i havent made myself understood. I AM willing to let the pros do it........my problem is that i wanted to figure out if this is a ME problem or a GHL problem..........I cant figure out how to align it without having to have the hangers re-welded and messing up that beautiful finish........even more.....im mad that there are so few things that I have ordered for this car that were truly a bolt on that did need me to re-work them to get them to work like they should have out of the box
Old 01-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
boat rx

Drives: 2010 2ssrs
Sounds like it is time to call GHL.For the cost of these exhaust systems they should fit perfect.
boat rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:09 AM   #11
Duke

Drives: 2010 Red SS/RS
Have you tried bending the 2 prongs on each muffler that goes into the hangars?
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #12
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownSS View Post
No......apparently i havent made myself understood. I AM willing to let the pros do it........my problem is that i wanted to figure out if this is a ME problem or a GHL problem..........I cant figure out how to align it without having to have the hangers re-welded and messing up that beautiful finish........even more.....im mad that there are so few things that I have ordered for this car that were truly a bolt on that did need me to re-work them to get them to work like they should have out of the box
Got it. I would at least take it by a shop and have them look at it and see if they can figure out and just let them know if they dont fit without modification, not to install them and then let GHL know as all systems should fit with ease.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #13
wrbear
Banned

Drives: 2010, 2SS, IOM/CGM Stripes, 4/24/10
As mentioned before make sure th pipes are on right...as in left and right. You may have installed the 2 at the cats back ars words. I think it can be done you know. You also need to loosen the pipes up to align them. Get someone to help you. I installed the Borla and had to do a little adjustment to make it work. Good Luck!
wrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #14
BlownSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
Have you tried bending the 2 prongs on each muffler that goes into the hangars?
Not yet.....maybe soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
Got it. I would at least take it by a shop and have them look at it and see if they can figure out and just let them know if they dont fit without modification, not to install them and then let GHL know as all systems should fit with ease.
this was their reply yesterday.....Argh!

"One of the hangers might have moved from the heat when taken out of the jigs to soon. The slip fit way most companies use is so you can adjust either side to match. Hope this helps.

Jeff "