Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
SirPhobos1
STAY PUFT

Drives: Gone
Strange random ignition oddity

So, every now and then, I'll attempt to start the car, and nothing happens. It doesn't happen very often, but I'm wondering if this is something that will get worse over time. The immobilizer light stays on, all of the other indicators turn off, but the starter never attempts to turn the engine over.

My first thought was the key's transmitter was bad. Received replacement keys, and I still have the same issue.

If I take the key out, usually re-inserting and trying again works the 2nd time. Worst case, I've had it take six or seven times.

I had a similar thing happen with remote start running. I put the key in, turned it to ON, and the car shut off.

Like I said, not a consistent problem. Not one that's easy to reproduce.

Anybody ever experience something similar?

SirPhobos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPhobos1 View Post
So, every now and then, I'll attempt to start the car, and nothing happens. It doesn't happen very often, but I'm wondering if this is something that will get worse over time. The immobilizer light stays on, all of the other indicators turn off, but the starter never attempts to turn the engine over.

My first thought was the key's transmitter was bad. Received replacement keys, and I still have the same issue.

If I take the key out, usually re-inserting and trying again works the 2nd time. Worst case, I've had it take six or seven times.

I had a similar thing happen with remote start running. I put the key in, turned it to ON, and the car shut off.

Like I said, not a consistent problem. Not one that's easy to reproduce.

Anybody ever experience something similar?

On page 1-11 in your owner's manual, regarding the immobilizer, it states something that may be of your knowledge regarding the vehicle turning off when you go to turn it to the ON position. It states:

Immobilizer Operation
This vehicle has a passive theft-deterrent system. The system does not have to be manually armed or disarmed. The vehicle is automatically immobilized when the key is removed from the ignition. The system is automatically disarmed when the vehicle is started with the correct key. The key uses a transponder that matches an immobilizer control unit in the vehicle and automatically disarms the system. Only the correct key starts the vehicle. The vehicle may not start if the key is damaged. The immobilizer light, located in the instrument panel cluster, comes on if there is a problem with arming or disarming the theft-deterrent system. See Immobilizer Light on page 4-26. When trying to start the vehicle, the immobilizer light comes on briefly when the ignition is turned on. If the engine does not start and the immobilizer light stays on there is a problem with the system. Turn the ignition off and try again. If the engine still does not start, and the key appears to be undamaged, try another ignition key. If the engine still does not start and the light continues to stay on try
another key.

If the engine still does not start with the other key, the vehicle needs service. If the vehicle does start, the first key may be damaged. See your dealer/retailer who can service the theft-deterrent system and have a new key made. Do not leave the key or device that disarms or deactivates the theft deterrent system in the vehicle.

I hope this helped!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Easton091

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Sounds like ignition cylinder issue or theft.
Easton091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
SirPhobos1
STAY PUFT

Theft? Details, please.

I do know the dealership we bought it from had it in for service a few days before we bought it. I'm wondering if they damaged something in the process...

As it stands right now, the basic warranty has expired and I'm down to the power train warranty. :(

Old 07-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
pouncer72
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to pouncer72
Any updates?
pouncer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
SirPhobos1
STAY PUFT

No updates yet, I haven't had a chance to take it in for service. I'm not even sure what something like this would cost to have replaced/fixed.

I tried consulting the dealer I purchased from, to have them tell me exactly what they serviced a few days before I purchased. They were zero help. They claim they were unaware of any problems like what i've mentioned.

Here's a video I made showing an example of what happens.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
1543R2

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Blk/Blk
I'm having the same problem. I also get the "Service Stabilitrak" message and the "Check Engine" light. Each time I've pulled the code, it's PO700. The last time this happened (9-4-12), I got the car started on the 2nd attempt, but when I drove down the street the car would not shift from 1st to 2nd gear. I again took the car to the dealer and they again stated on the paperwork: "Scan test computer - No Codes, checked for aftermarket Alarm and none. Programmed computer with latest update, started with no problem." Then they check the transmission, but do to a miss read of the service ticket the tech thought it stated the car wouldn't come out of reverse and checked for a linkage issue, none found.
1543R2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
OP you have a theft deterrent issue, when you turn your key and nothing happens, the theft deterrent is preventing the car from starting, this is mostly related to bad keys, but since you have new keys, you may have another issue on your hands. If this were to happen at the dealer, have a tech come over and scan for codes, this will give him an indication as to were to start.

Does this only happen at your house? With the new style GM flip out keys, any kind of power lines above a car, or sometimes around a car can cause this, I have seen this happen before. This might be a long shot, but sometimes if water, coffee, dirt etc.. has gotten inside your key, even the smallest droplets can cause this intermittent issue. I know this is now a customer pay situation, but you can always try to Good Will it since you were in before for that problem, I'm just warning you that the problem may get worst.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote