Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-26-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Fellow Camaro Guy Dilemma...

So here's the deal. There's this guy who drives a blue '98-'02 Camaro, I've never met the guy. I only know it's him because I recognise his car. It's definitley a V8, whether it's a Z28, or an SS, I couldn't say - I've never been close enough.

He drives up and down our street, which is a long, 55mph, almost-always-empty straightaway....and every time he passes, he downshifts for a few seconds and so he ends up revving real high and consequently goes a little faster...and louder. I think he does this in front of our house because we live on the zero gradient part of the road...easier on the engine and easier to go quicker... Obviously he just got this car, and is having some fun. There's a 2% chance that he could hurt anybody, and it's not like he's driving that fast all the way down the street. It's only a quick couple of seconds burst of speed and noise.

So here's my dilemma: My mother wants to call the cops on him... As a fellow Camaro guy, I feel obligated to do two things, Tell her not to, because it's obviously a new car, and it'll be over in a few days to a week. Let him enjoy it. The other part says, tell her to go ahead, because that 2% chance is still higher than zero, and besides that, I'd like him not to wreck the car on accident...it is after all, a Camaro...

What do you guys think?
Old 07-26-2007, 05:47 PM   #2
storm79

Drives: 2007 GMC Sierra
tell her not to call the cops...
Old 07-26-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
Yeah, don't rat him out just because he's having a little fun... I'll be doing the exact same thing when I have my new one! It's only fair!!
Old 07-26-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham

That's what I wanted to do. Thanks guys! (though I'm still open for suggestions)
Old 07-26-2007, 10:18 PM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
What's more important to you? Are there a lot of other people around where you live (mainly younger kids)? Basically, could he be putting anyone else in danger?

What your mother can do is ask for a "patrol by" due to speeders in the area. This basically tells officers that there are speeders out in your area and you wish for officers to patrol the area for the residents safety. Your mother won't be pointing the finger in any direction. If he happens to be around and sees an officer but isn't "getting on it", he'll remember that next time he passes through and he'll keep it under control..........or he could get on it like normal and eventually lose it because maybe he's young and can't handle it. Maybe he runs off the roadway losing control wrecking the Camaro, wrecking into your house or your neighbors, maybe hurting someone....or even you.

Or, maybe you run into him one day and if you don't like what he's doing, tell him to knock it off. I tell you...there's places to get on it and there's places to get on it if you know what I mean.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:49 PM   #6
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I tell you...there's places to get on it and there's places to get on it if you know what I mean.
Any places you have in mind? I'll make sure I hit those spots if I ever drive through Tx.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:56 AM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Any places you have in mind? I'll make sure I hit those spots if I ever drive through Tx.

Let me know when you drive through Texas and we'll hit them!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:24 AM   #8
Mr. Wyndham

Yeah, that's pretty much what's going through my mind. There aren't many people around, I live in the boonies...maybe ten houses on the strech he burns up. +/- .25 miles

And we live right on the border of two towns, the street divides the two, so there's hardly any police...ever. It's awfully close to their jurisdiction boundries...sticky situation I guess. And State troopers, or county sheriffs for that matter aren't in very high supply in our neck of the woods (maybe once a month, maybe). Which is why he does it here...

Thanks guys. I'm not worried or anything, just thought I'd get some opinions. Rather funny really. He's probably hoping for attention. I'll bet he doesn't know he's being talked about online!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 07:04 AM   #9
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I may take some "heat" for my feelings, but here they are;

If I were in your position and had someone repeatedly driving erratically infront of my house, the cops would be notified.

Personally, I admit to having a sort of "fellowship" towards other Camaro owners, but my ties are stronger to my friends and family. Camaro driver or not, acting like a jacka@@ behind the wheel in a residential area is irresponsible and B.S.!

I have the occassional "fly by" infront of the house, (most times if the SS is parked outside or the garage is open and they see the SS inside) and it's almost always an isolated incident. But, there is also a "resident A-hole" who goes out of his way to provoke. I'm looking forward to the day the cops catch this moron.

Driving a Camaro doesn't excuse you from repercussions/punishment for driving like a jacka@@. I say if it continues, call the police.

PS: Your comment about his wanting attention...that's exactly what he's after. Don't give it to him.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:59 AM   #10
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
All the above are good suggestions

I had a lady in my neighborhood call the cops on me, she was not the nicest lady either (a huge bit$h) and the cops new this. She exaggerated the story a bit, but bottom line was I turn the corner, usually in first and take it up to 3 or 4 grand before I shift. Completly legal, but a 480 horse stroker motor at 4 grand is nothing to bat an eye at. The cop new she was not nice and told me to amuse her, so I did, end of story.

My suggestion, if you know about what time he comes home, hang around outside, drink a Budweiser, and when he comes by, flag him down, just say, "hey, nice ride, but a few of the neighbors have asked me to talk to you." If he is a stand up Camaro guy he will understand!
Old 07-27-2007, 02:47 PM   #11
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
I pretty much agree with Moose, but I would also add this....if any other neighbors are thinking the same thing as your mom (and some probably are) then that reflects poorly on the rest of the Muscle Car Guys (and Gals), more specifically, the Camaro Crowd. You are in that crowd now and are hoping to add a 5th Gen in the near future. So, if they are thinking that now, add another one or two on the block, do they start calling the cops hoping for some "attention" on the whole crowd? Who knows, but do you want to risk it?

I mean come on, I am pretty much a law abiding citizen, but if a cop were to watch me long enough, I'm sure I could be ticketed for something.

While he wants the attention now, he may not really be thinking about the attention that he is going to draw on himself and on others.

I like Tag's idea of mentioning general speeder concerns rather than singling out one person as well.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:05 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham

Yeah, all good ideas. I've made my decision. But before I say what it is, guess what? The last few times he's done it were at night, or dusk. So it's dark out, and I've only caught a glimpse of his blue tail-end as I come running to see. Hence why I said I couldn't identify the trim.

Well, I heard a rumble and then a roar as he wooshed past again today. Today I had sense enough to wait at the window for when he did. And you'll never believe what I saw:

IT ISN'T A CAMARO!!! :eek:
It's a late '60s early '70s Chevelle, or Impala...It's blue alright, though. Stupid, Stupid. Not only that. But he IS flying down the road.

The police will be notified. I've got friends in the department. Not that that means anything... I thought it sounded cool.