Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 11-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #29
YYZ

Drives: Black 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by razors View Post
trying to get some winter tires (in nova scotia) every chev dealership says I can't go with 18" tires and rims that I must go with 20"s I have a 2lt rs. front tires are different size than back. They also say I can't put same size winter tires all around they must be different in front and back. Any feedback??
I have a 2LT RS, and I put on 18's for winters. See above pics. There's no reason why you can't put on 18's. the dealer is jsut trying to make a quick buck off ya. Alot of people on here have 18" winters on..and quite a few have bought theirs from tirerack.com (Like myself).

Hope that helps.
YYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:19 PM   #30
YYZ

Quote:
did you have to have tps installed or did yours work ok?
I didn't order mine with the TPMS...originally I thought mine accidentally came with them because no lights came on. But now just the tpms light comes on in the dash. Will just have to live with that till spring time. Other than that, no problems at all!
Old 11-30-2009, 11:08 PM   #31
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Lucky! I wish i could drive a Camaro in the winter!

I made the mistake of not driving my Cobalt SS in the winter for the 3 years i had it. Eh, only a little bit of regret.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:36 AM   #32
GrimKeeper

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS Yellow
Quote:
did you have to have tps installed or did yours work ok?
I did not get the TPMS sensors either.
GrimKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #33
Spiv
Why you gotta be hatin'?

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
I've recently decided to drive my car in the winter.
Where can I go to find good/cheap rims? I'll be going with the Firestone Winterforce tires as well.

I was told by some of my local car gurus that I wouldn't need to change the rims, and just washing them frequently in the winter will stop the rims from suffering any damge from salt and such. True or not?
Spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #34
YYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiv View Post
I've recently decided to drive my car in the winter.
Where can I go to find good/cheap rims? I'll be going with the Firestone Winterforce tires as well.

I was told by some of my local car gurus that I wouldn't need to change the rims, and just washing them frequently in the winter will stop the rims from suffering any damge from salt and such. True or not?
Are you planning on mounting winter rubber on your summer (stock) rims..and then come spring..re-mounting the summer rubber back on? If so...constantly removing and the re-placing rubber on rims is bad for the rims. It's jsut extra wear and tear on the rims and over time, the rims could possibly warp from the extra wear and tear. Plus if you get a winter set of rims..you can change your tires your self without having to re-mount and re-balance every change of season. If you spend a few extra bucks now...you'll thank yourself later...just my opinion..
Old 12-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #35
chevyridinghigh
The Bowtie Is Back

Drives: 2010 Silver Camaro SS/RS -Blk Int.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYZ View Post
Are you planning on mounting winter rubber on your summer (stock) rims..and then come spring..re-mounting the summer rubber back on? If so...constantly removing and the re-placing rubber on rims is bad for the rims. It's jsut extra wear and tear on the rims and over time, the rims could possibly warp from the extra wear and tear. Plus if you get a winter set of rims..you can change your tires your self without having to re-mount and re-balance every change of season. If you spend a few extra bucks now...you'll thank yourself later...just my opinion..
I'm no car expert, but the idea that remounting rubber to your rims once a year will cause warping sounds ridiculous. If you can drive like a maniac on them 3/4 of the year, then you can change the rubber on them once a year.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:15 AM   #36
Ravirn
Account Unaccounted for

Drives: Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYZ View Post
So I decided to put my Winter Tires on today (I know...you are all going to hate me for driving this car in the winter) Anyway, here are some pics...they are not the greatest..but I think the tires look ok for just winter use.

I got the rims and rubber from tirerack

No hate here! Those are exceptionally nice winter rims.
Gives a man ideas, it does!
Old 12-11-2009, 02:04 AM   #37
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I bought a set of the heritage rims for mine and put the Pirelli Scorpion snow and ice tires on them earlier this week. I had a 45 minute drive home from work the next morning in a snowstorm and didn't spin or slide once, but did get to see lots of other cars smashed up on the way.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #38
Spiv
Why you gotta be hatin'?

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Did anyone bother getting the TPMS for their winters?
Tirerack says you can use the ones already installed on your winter ones? Should I bother or no? I really didn't think it was a big issue.
Spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #39
YYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiv View Post
Did anyone bother getting the TPMS for their winters?
Tirerack says you can use the ones already installed on your winter ones? Should I bother or no? I really didn't think it was a big issue.
I didn't bother getting them...I'll just have to live with a light on all winter :P

Tags
rims, tires, winter