Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #29
Faster12

Drives: 2012 Black ZL1 #1158
I am currently having the same issue. I talked to the guys at my dealership and I even contacted Chevy Customer Service and they said that they had not heard of an issue like this. I really need some accurate information as to whether the spacers belong there. I need something I can SHOW to the guys at the dealership, because a forum comment or two won't suffice.
Faster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #30
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster12 View Post
I am currently having the same issue. I talked to the guys at my dealership and I even contacted Chevy Customer Service and they said that they had not heard of an issue like this. I really need some accurate information as to whether the spacers belong there. I need something I can SHOW to the guys at the dealership, because a forum comment or two won't suffice.
Check out the link in post #20 of this thread. Write down the service bulletin number and provide it to your dealer. They should be able to pull the correct PDI instructions themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 08-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #31
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
gosh kids time was when your springs got shot you went to the auto parts store to save the cost of replacing the springs by buying spacers to adjust the cars ride back to height on the side with the shot spring until you could afford a new spring.....Heck some people even installed the spring spacers to jack up your car a little...lol like air shocks in the rear. I imagine unless it is a really different spacer that i have not seen in years and years and years of fixing up hot rods you still had some spring travel only it was just stiffer and really nothing to worry about hurting your car.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #32
Faster12

Drives: 2012 Black ZL1 #1158
Hey Deke thanks for the heads up!
Faster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #33
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster12 View Post
Would you happen to have the case number that Chevrolet Customer Service provided to you? Please let me know and we could see if there are any options available to you!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #34
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
gosh kids time was when your springs got shot you went to the auto parts store to save the cost of replacing the springs by buying spacers to adjust the cars ride back to height on the side with the shot spring until you could afford a new spring.....Heck some people even installed the spring spacers to jack up your car a little...lol like air shocks in the rear. I imagine unless it is a really different spacer that i have not seen in years and years and years of fixing up hot rods you still had some spring travel only it was just stiffer and really nothing to worry about hurting your car.
It appears to be a somewhat different kind of spacer, effectively removing two spring coils from compressing rather than just one. Not as hard on the springs as the old metal twisty things or the kind with the clamps that you could reverse to tie the suspension down with, but probably not as easy on them as the hard rubber kind that wrapped all the way around between two full coils.

If it was my car, I'd make sure that every part of this kind of episode got documented.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #35
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post

Here is a GM shot of the valances, they were to be installed by the dealer at PDI.

I just ordered a new "splitter".... to have as a spare. Cost $100. Not bad. But, it did not come with the VALANCES. I thought it would be part of the package. Does anyone know the GM Part # for the Valances and attachment connectors?
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #36
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by compudiva View Post
Okay, what purpose do the valances serve?
Man?!? I was going to ask that.
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #37
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by compudiva View Post
Okay, what purpose do the valances serve?
They're all part of the aerodynamic package on the car. They're designed to help re-direct airflow around the front wheels (i'm guessing) to help cut down on drag.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #38
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
How far can you drive the car with the spacers in without damaging anything? My ZL1 is being shipped and will arrive with the spacers in and I'm going to have to remove them or take the car somewhere to have them removed. If I take the car to my local service station can they put it on a lift and simply remove them there?
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #39
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Why wouldn't your selling dealership do this? It's his responsibility to deliver the car in the proper condition.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #40
I call it Vera

Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1bro View Post
How far can you drive the car with the spacers in without damaging anything? My ZL1 is being shipped and will arrive with the spacers in and I'm going to have to remove them or take the car somewhere to have them removed. If I take the car to my local service station can they put it on a lift and simply remove them there?
Chevrolet does not expect the consumer to do this.

It's the dealer's job. Sometimes they just don't know to do this step because it's specific to a ZL1 and dealers don't process many of those.

Everyone here is just saying to politely remind the dealer of their job, when needed.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #41
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1bro View Post
It's my understanding that all you have to do is take the weight off the spring and the spacer comes right out. Either jack up your car yourself, or put it on the lift. No special tools required at all.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #42
I call it Vera

Quote:
Originally Posted by I call it Vera View Post
Chevrolet does not expect the consumer to do this.

It's the dealer's job. Sometimes they just don't know to do this step because it's specific to a ZL1 and dealers don't process many of those.

Everyone here is just saying to politely remind the dealer of their job, when needed.
ALTHOUGH, I did learn on these forums that if you expect your car to be towed, trailered, etc. . . that you should install the spacers first.

Apparently, they should be kept in your glove box.