Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
BrianInJackson

Drives: toyota mr2
A few Thoughts

First off I would like to thank all those who find info about this car and keep the rest of us up to speed, and thanks to those who ask and answer questions. This site feels like a tight community and is showing me that when you buy a Camaro you become part of a family, and people are happy to help those who need help.

So, to my questions/rants.

How much do you really care about performance? I have seen too many posts about "will this car be faster than car X". This car is going to have more power and performance than you would ever need on the street, and I don't like to hear about future street racing. Please go to a track if you want to really push yourself and the car. Drag racing, autocrossing, track days can all be done legally, and all are a better option for you than street racing.

Stock performance is important to me, but I am interested in the whole package. The best way to explain is that I don't want to go aftermarket anything. Leave the car alone, at least for a few years. I have had my current car for about 14 years, and have done the rims and tires, suspension, and on, and on, and on. It is hard to make one thing better without taking something else away. I am done with having a garage full of extra parts. The Camaro is at the top of my list for a new car because I believe this car will have very few shortcomings right off the showroom floor.

I just want to say that someone is always going to be faster. Someone is always going to have something that you don't. Speed is, for the most part about money. Don't feel bad if someone has put more money into his car and is faster. Please don't try to prove your manhood by driving your new Camaro in an unsafe manner. I don't anyone on this board to get hurt or killed being stupid.

Please, also be humble. Don't look down on those who don't have a car as nice as this new Camaro. A new car may not be a good move for many in this economy. Remember, you are going to get many, many looks in this car when it hits the roads in more numbers. Give polite waves and thanks when people comments on your car. Help spread the good will that you show on this site to the other divers on the road, and show that Camaro owners are good people.
BrianInJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
cosmin haraga

Drives: AlfaRomeo 147
cute
I agree though, hopefully my camaro will last a good ten years. I don't plan upgrades - its nearly imposible to do in Europe anyway.
I only hope it will survives rough roads, angry drivers and invidious neighbours... hopefully
cosmin haraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It seems, from most reports and information that we've gotten, this car is going to perform really well and probably be more than enough for most people. I don't really want to spend a ton of money on a whole lot of things on the car but I think, as a package, it'll be strong enough more many except the truly hardcore.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Hooy
Will Drive For Food

Drives: Acura TL
Being cocky in a stock car is only asking to get ripped out of the hole and put on youtube
Hooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
:5thgenvert:Hey Brian, I'd wave at you in your Mr2 if you was driving thru South Carolina.
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Drives: IBM Tumbler
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbusa View Post
:5thgenvert:Hey Brian, I'd wave at you in your Mr2 if you was driving thru South Carolina.
MR2s ROCK!! I think the designed our new Camaro after the 95'

Just kidding...
Attached Images

"It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Silver Streak: This car is screaming Camaro all the way through. If you are still complaining about the Camaro, you need to re-evaluate!
Edmunds: "You want to kick ass, or fondle the door panels, sissy?" LOL!!!
Blur: You need to develop your own level of badassery before handling a car with so much badass content.
pinkcamaro10: "gained the faith back" Thanks guys! "Patiently" waiting thanks to all the pink milk people!
http://camaro5rt.mybrute.com
RT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:03 PM   #7
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianInJackson View Post
First off I would like to thank all those who find info about this car and keep the rest of us up to speed, and thanks to those who ask and answer questions. This site feels like a tight community and is showing me that when you buy a Camaro you become part of a family, and people are happy to help those who need help.

So, to my questions/rants.

How much do you really care about performance? I have seen too many posts about "will this car be faster than car X". This car is going to have more power and performance than you would ever need on the street, and I don't like to hear about future street racing. Please go to a track if you want to really push yourself and the car. Drag racing, autocrossing, track days can all be done legally, and all are a better option for you than street racing.

Stock performance is important to me, but I am interested in the whole package. The best way to explain is that I don't want to go aftermarket anything. Leave the car alone, at least for a few years. I have had my current car for about 14 years, and have done the rims and tires, suspension, and on, and on, and on. It is hard to make one thing better without taking something else away. I am done with having a garage full of extra parts. The Camaro is at the top of my list for a new car because I believe this car will have very few shortcomings right off the showroom floor.

I just want to say that someone is always going to be faster. Someone is always going to have something that you don't. Speed is, for the most part about money. Don't feel bad if someone has put more money into his car and is faster. Please don't try to prove your manhood by driving your new Camaro in an unsafe manner. I don't anyone on this board to get hurt or killed being stupid.

Please, also be humble. Don't look down on those who don't have a car as nice as this new Camaro. A new car may not be a good move for many in this economy. Remember, you are going to get many, many looks in this car when it hits the roads in more numbers. Give polite waves and thanks when people comments on your car. Help spread the good will that you show on this site to the other divers on the road, and show that Camaro owners are good people.
You're a little late, buddy, we already have a (fbod)father figure, and beyond that don't require one because:

1) The majority of us here care a lot about performance, but are responsible enough to race safely.
2) Some want to mod the Camaro, some don't. It's a personal choice and not about manhood.
3) Overall we're pretty darn intelligent and not a cocky buch, so you don't have to worry about that either.

Ok, then there's Jeff....see below

Last edited by Rodrunner; 01-30-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Rodrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
we will drive unsafe-doing 100 down a residential street if possible ,step on the gas from light to light- unsafe lane changing at unsafe speeds-cuting people off is my specialty dude its gonna be great

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
How's the Toyota running?
Old 01-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #10
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
I plan on modding mine very conservatively; CAI, cat back, headers, minor suspension upgrades and wider rear meats. No boring, stroking, charging (turbo or super). I won't be racing this car, but at the same time I want my Camaro to be at least just a bit better than it came from the factory to seperate it from the rest of the pack. That's one of the reasons I'm worried about my color combo. Ever since I first saw the concept I knew exactly what I wanted to do if Chevy ever put it into production, but in the past few months I've noticed alot of people have a similar idea for their car so we'll see. I just want my Camaro to be MY CAMARO and unmistakingly so.

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:24 PM   #11
maxdmax

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffny09 View Post
we will drive unsafe-doing 100 down a residential street if possible ,step on the gas from light to light- unsafe lane changing at unsafe speeds-cuting people off is my specialty dude its gonna be great
Excuse me! I resemble that remark
Old 01-30-2009, 11:03 PM   #12
Cyberfan

Drives: 08 Z06 Vette; 02 T/A Firehawk
I have a Corvette that is extremely fast (and not modified), but I still want an SS as my daily driver. I want the Vette to last many years. I think the technology on the OHC V-6 is really 21st century, but I was raised on 8 cylinders. But I won't be tempted to make it faster.

What attracts me about it is the great looks at the low price. I am cheap by nature (don't want the RS package because I think it's not worth the $). I am a Dodge Challenger convert, primarily because I think the SRT-8 is way overpriced and not as quick as the 6 speed SS. (Instruments are nicer in the Dodge, but Camaro wins most everything else).

And other than maybe a K & N air filter after the factory one gets dirty, I won't be sinking money in modifications. I'd rather spend the money on a trip, nicer TV or something else, and mods do NOT help in resale, in in some cases it can hurt, if the buyer thinks the car has been run to death. And performance mods can screw your 100,000 mile warranty. No thanks.

Not trying to offend people who are buying modification products, but just my opinion. All I want is a CGM 2SS with polished wheels and maybe the shifter. And if my cheap disease gets into an advanced state, maybe the 1SS with the Boston speakers and polished wheels.

I spend enough time driving to and from work to want a car I can really enjoy, but not spend a fortune on.

Last edited by Cyberfan; 01-30-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:40 AM   #13
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Good post. On one hand, absolute performance is important to me because I'd like to do all three events in my Camaro - autocross, road courses, and drag racing, all legally and only after taking even more advanced driving lessons. Man I'd love to see a spec Camaro race series, or better yet a spec pony car series with the Mustang and Challenger as well.

On the other hand, the majority of my driving will be done on fun public roads (cruises on Route 66, runs at 7/10ths or so on Glendora Mountain Road, etc) where absolute performance doesn't matter quite as much as the subjective fun and coolness of the car.

It will take a lot of self control to drive within the law and what conditions dictate as safe, but with great power comes great responsibility (sorry for the cliche). It will take a lot of self control to let it go when other drivers want to try to show me up. But I believe it is worth it to drive safe and create a friendly environment for everyone on the road. I think it is very important to lobby our governments to allow for and in fact encourage the development and maintenance of various racing venues so the serious driving can be taking off the track and be harnessed in a safe, controlled environment.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:13 AM   #14
Scooter

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffny09 View Post
LOL
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote