Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #29
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS PANTHER View Post
When I purchased my fully loaded 2013 2SS/RS convertible from a no haggle Chevrolet dealer in SoCal in May my SS had an msrp of $47k, but, was marked down to $43,048. I got another $2k off with my GM points. $41k before taxes. The ZLI fully loaded convertible was priced at $67,900. To be fair, msrp to msrp, it was a difference of $21k. The reason I did not buy the ZL1 was that my friends 427 corvette smokes the ZL1 and my other friends Porsche Turbo S smokes the 427. Any Camaro is a nice, good looking cruiser, but, in street trim, it is no match for Turbo's, GT3's, Z06's, Zr1's, GTR's, 458's, Lambo's, McLaren's, etc. This is primarily the cars that show up at our once a month "cars n' coffee" and there are plenty all over So Cal. The Camaro is in the Mustang, Challenger, M3, modified import class. For the money I think the Camaro and the Corvette are great values and have great looks.

That's funny I get a difference of $18,210.00 Between a 2SS/RS M6 base paint and wheels ($42,035) and a Base ZL1 M6 base paint and wheels ($60,245) and that includes $1500 incentive on both cars. Prices from Chevy.com .... You can't really compare 427 Vette to a ZL1, the Z weights 800lbs more. The ZL1 will run with anything in it's class. Never underestimate the ZL1, you may be very surprised what it can do.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #30
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Seems the MSRP on the website and what you see at the dealer are two different things. It is like how I saw a 2012 ZL1 priced at $55,555, only one available. Then in mouse type is the VIN. So I called the dlr to see if it was still there. Yeppers the guy states. I wasn't going to buy it but wanted to see it while pricing out my now 2SS/RS vert while there.

Go figure, that car was gone, guy got the VIN wrong.....hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm. But they had another one just like it for $5k over MSRP which was about $67k, and this was April 2012.

My car listed out at $44,500 +, can't remember the exact amount, but that is close enough. It has every option available, except "dealer installed things like illuminated cupholders.... anyways, everytime I did the math, built the car on the Chevy website it never came in over $42k, ever. And I live in Oregon, home of NO SALES TAX.

Anyways, wish it was "the old days" and could have more of a choice in engines, a 427 would be in my vert right now. The 6.2L is a darn good motor, love it, but it ain't a 427.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #31
JC6

Drives: 2011 GS Vert. Corvette
Question

Zl1 Hands down!!!
JC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #32
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
That's funny I get a difference of $18,210.00 Between a 2SS/RS M6 base paint and wheels ($42,035) and a Base ZL1 M6 base paint and wheels ($60,245) and that includes $1500 incentive on both cars. Prices from Chevy.com .... You can't really compare 427 Vette to a ZL1, the Z weights 800lbs more. The ZL1 will run with anything in it's class. Never underestimate the ZL1, you may be very surprised what it can do.
Hi Slingshot. I just went to the website and compared my car with the extras to the ZL1 with the same extras and it was 67,080 vs 47,070. Remember, fully loaded cars. Auto, polished wheels, etc. No illuminated footwells. $20k. Regardless, I think the ZL1 is a great value, as most don't realize how fast that money adds up for a SC install, better suspension, magnetic ride, better performance wheels and tires, transmission, etc. and more. This does not include the intrinsic value of the ZLI. I do not think it is very wise to heavily modify a SS when there is a better overall value in a ZL1. I am with tonyko1 on the 427(7L). I think this is one of the best motors Chevrolet has ever produced and I wish it was an optional motor for the SS or ZL1. I just don't think the ZL1 is quite supercar status like the other cars I mentioned.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #33
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogey View Post
I have a 2011 SS. I have been drooling over the ZL1. Not that I need one, I am 72 years old and occasionally do SCCA Solo, or laps at a couple of semi local tracks.
However, I got lucky, (or smart) on a couple of investments and have some spare change. I was determined I would get a ZL1, then started reading reviews of the Z28. It sounds to me like the ZL1 is the right choice but the Z28 sounds so sweet. Any opinions/thoughts?
...since you have driving experience, the Z/28 will be the best bet by far for a true track car between the two. The ZL1 is a perfect blend of comfort and performance. The Z/28 is all business. If I were you, and want to run hot laps, the Z/28 would be my pick, being a ZL1 owner.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #34
Milkdudd

Drives: Saturn XR V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman53201 View Post
the z/28 will cost more than the zl1
Way more, I think. Have they announced how many will be built? Everyone is assuming they will be able to get one for MSRP. People could wait a year (or more) only to find out they will be EXTREMELY limited. If each dealer gets one (or not even) they could go two times MSRP or more. Hope not, though.
Milkdudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #35
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Sounds like the Z/28 is the car for you. I would go for it too being N/A. The Z/28 would be nice to have in the family and something cool/small to be remember by. I think my SS is BA so the Z/28 will be Godfather in my world
Old 08-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #36
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogey View Post
Any opinions/thoughts?
Looking at your profile it says you're driving an automatic. I think the Z28 is manual only. If that matters to you
Old 08-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #37
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
....if I can swing a Z/28 with a trade in on a ZL1...then....in the immortal words of Jacky Gleason..."how sweet it is".
Old 08-13-2013, 03:40 AM   #38
REDXIIIDave
El Chupacabra

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6 Black/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
Thanks SS Panther, I didn't realize the Z/28 won't be available as a "vert". I don't think I would have bought my car if not being a vert. To be honest, reason I bought the 2012 was because the ZL1 wasn't available in "vert" until 2013, and I didn't want to talked into it, code for me talking myself into it, ha.

Now the 2014 Stingray...
Magic words.....
Old 08-13-2013, 04:27 AM   #39
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman53201 View Post
the z/28 will cost more than the zl1
Like 25 - 30k more

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedrop View Post
the z28 will probably be around 65k IMO.
Wishful thinking... it will be way North of there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
I was thinking around 70K as well. And I'm also thinking what in hell is GM thinking making a Camaro that expensive? So you have two Camaros at or well over 60K. Why? Why would you put this thing out when you are also putting out a new Vette for considerably less $? I'll let the boys with the Bow Ties do their thing but I think this car is a product of an artificial market distortion that i received a warning from an admin about discussing so I won't. But this car makes no sense at all to me.
Maybe GM has raised the price since I bought mine at 57,300. Only option I don't have is wheels, sunroof and auto which puts it barely over 60k. Look for mid 80's on the Z28 and a set of tires for the street will be another 3k on those 19" wheels, that is if you want to daily drive it.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #40
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
I would go with option number three. Do. A suspension and power upgrade to your SS. You'll get the preformance you want for your track days, still have a regularly drivable car and save some money for other things.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #41
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP, if tracking is you goal then why not consider a 1LE and use the rest of the money you would have spent for a car on a month long vacation in Tahiti?

Out of the box a 1LE will run at the track with the big boys, is somewhat reasonably priced, and can cheaply be made even faster with bolt-ons and a little suspension work. To go further you could add better brakes, cam, more cubes, and track day race tires.

I would bet such a 1LE could run close or better than a stock Z/28 (just guessing) and be just as much fun at a lower cost.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #42
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
OP, if tracking is you goal then why not consider a 1LE and use the rest of the money you would have spent for a car on a month long vacation in Tahiti?

Out of the box a 1LE will run at the track with the big boys, is somewhat reasonably priced, and can cheaply be made even faster with bolt-ons and a little suspension work. To go further you could add better brakes, cam, more cubes, and track day race tires.

I would bet such a 1LE could run close or better than a stock Z/28 (just guessing) and be just as much fun at a lower cost.
It's tough to answer OP's question without knowing the Z/28's MSRP, but I would buy the 1LE and keep the extra $35,000 in a rainy day fund. It's 90% of the fun of either ZL1 or Z/28 at 50% of the price. In the new economy, you just never know what's going to happen.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote