Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
krabtree13
krabtree13

Drives: '10 S.W. 2SS/RS w/I.O. stripe pkg
tire rotation

what's the general consensus regarding tire rotation.i know F & R are two different sizes;what i'm referring to is...can the L & R be interchanged? thanks
krabtree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Yes they can but what's the point in that?

They are not directionals but just going side to side won't do anything if your car is properly aligned. Well, I guess unless you're running NASCAR and only turning left
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
thebighar

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 Nightfall Grey
When I got my car two years ago and took it for service the first time I had to actually convince the tech that he couldn't rotate my tires because of the size difference...he wanted to rotate all four the regular way...I had to show him the tires...I was pretty nervous getting the car back that day with a simple oil change.
thebighar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
stray bullitt

Drives: Bentley Continental GT.
I've always thought tyre rotation is pointless. If you do the traditional front to back, (which as you say isn't possible here), all you end up with is a big bill all at once for four tyres. I'd rather just replace a pair as and when they hit the tread warning marker .
stray bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebighar View Post
When I got my car two years ago and took it for service the first time I had to actually convince the tech that he couldn't rotate my tires because of the size difference...he wanted to rotate all four the regular way...I had to show him the tires...I was pretty nervous getting the car back that day with a simple oil change.

well you could rotate them in the standard way, but might look funny with the smaller wheels on the back.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabtree13 View Post
what's the general consensus regarding tire rotation.i know F & R are two different sizes;what i'm referring to is...can the L & R be interchanged? thanks
On the SS, no. The factory Pirelli P-Zero's are directional. No rotation of any kind is possible.

EDIT: I stand corrected, see below.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree

Last edited by MEDISIN; 09-12-2011 at 09:16 AM.
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray bullitt View Post
I've always thought tyre rotation is pointless. If you do the traditional front to back, (which as you say isn't possible here), all you end up with is a big bill all at once for four tyres. I'd rather just replace a pair as and when they hit the tread warning marker .
I guess safety is pointless then. The point is to keep all tires at the same wear so they are all uniform.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
On the SS, no. The factory Pirelli P-Zero's are directional. No rotation of any kind is possible.
They most certianly are not. There is an inside and outside but you absolutly can swap sides.

Once mounted, you could put either wheel/tire on either side of the car. You just can't swap front and rears bc the rear is 275 and the front is 245
Old 09-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray bullitt View Post
your tires last alot longer if you rotate them. Like on a pickup for instance, if you want to replace 3 sets of rear tires to one set of fronts, which probably will have an exceptional amount of cupping by that time and alot of road noise, then I guess thats your call. Tire manufactures don't require a record of rotations to keep the warranty for nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
They only say inside and outside on them. They are not true directional tires which would say left and right on them, and have arrows in the direction of rotation.
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #10
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brunsy View Post
your tires last alot longer if you rotate them. Like on a pickup for instance, if you want to replace 3 sets of rear tires to one set of fronts, which probably will have an exceptional amount of cupping by that time and alot of road noise, then I guess thats your call. Tire manufactures don't require a record of rotations to keep the warranty for nothing.

They only say inside and outside on them. They are not true directional tires which would say left and right on them, and have arrows in the direction of rotation.
Hmm, I learned something new! Thank you.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
RSokie
Proud owner of Litho #195

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS
Yeah the solstice I used to own had directional tires with the arrows. I was thinking about getting the same size rear wheel and tire combo for the front of mine not only for the looks but tire rotation as well.
RSokie is offline   Reply With Quote