Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-14-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS M6
Quick question about college degree

I am one month away from completing my bachelors degree. Last semester a professor mentioned I should only be a class short of an associate of science degree. Well after looking at it I was one credit hour short in two different areas and had completed one area. So I added two classes to meet those requirements. Well I just realized those 3 areas are areas of concentration and I only needed to complete one. I have the Arts and Humanities area complete. The other two areas of concentration are Natural Science, Applied Science and Quantitative Skills, and Social Sciences.

My question is what happens if I complete all three areas of concentration? Do I pick which one I want or something? Thanks
CamaroC-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:51 PM   #2
Dave1222

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS/RS
Sounds like a question for your schools guidance counselor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dave1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1222 View Post
Sounds like a question for your schools guidance counselor
First, congratulations

Yeah, for instance, where I'm at we have majors, minors, and in the business school specializations(which frankly I think is basically a minor and I think the business school just tried to church it up a little). I have to have at least two majors or one major and at least one specialization. I could add as many majors and specializations as I want if I want to stick around and pay and take all of the extra classes.

So I'd call and get a meeting with an adviser, although see if you can get to someone important. Example, when I was at the community college in Birmingham, Al, I met with the "adviser" and told her I wanted to take business classes. She handed me a book with all of the classes in it and said the info was in there rather than working with me to plan a schedule. Later on I found out on my own that a particular professor that taught business classes also did business student specific advising. Once I met with him I had all the answers I needed.

Same thing happened at the University of Alabama. I met with a really nice instructor who also was an adviser in the business school. He gave me one decent piece of advice, but after that he really didn't know how to handle my academic needs. I finally met with an associate dean in the business school and he got everything worked out and helped me get on a fast track to graduation this coming December. Now if I have any issues I just email him directly and he's been able to take care of things very quickly.

Good luck with everything.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:47 AM   #4
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
I have a couple of area of concentrations and a minor. stack em up shows your ability to handle multiple different topics.. see what career counselor says but that's usually an additional duty for professors. now its all about advertising and getting your foot in the door. congratulations and good luck!!
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
OP, big congrats on 'earning' your degree. I am a professor and a little confused with your question. However, after reading your post a few times would suggest, perhaps, you are not getting the best advice that will help in your future career goals in the future.

I have advised many of my past undergraduate students as well as past students planning on grad school. Try this:
1st: Write down your overall career goals in under 150 words.
2nd: Set goals (each goal that follows in 100 words or less). First list your career goal one year after graduation, then a career goal 2 years after graduation, then your career goal 5 years after graduation.

After writing down goals determine if courses taken and possible future courses will help you achieve those goals. Do your own research to determine market demands for your chosen profession and don't just rely on one advisors opinion.

Only you can determine your long range plan. Then you are responsible for researching how to achieve your goals. Back in the 'olden days', when I was your age, I was lucky to have a mentor who taught me to write down my short & long term career goals. He was correct, it worked for me, and I have passed this info to some of my students. My past students who followed my advice and wrote down their short and long term goals have achieved their career goals in 5 years or less.

Know your career goals and what your career industry wants in a new hire. Your first job after you graduate might determine your future worth to other employers in the next 5-10 years or more. Employers are looking for people that show they are diverse/flexible, can adapt to the changing market demands. Trust me, personally been where you are today.

Regarding courses, talk only to your program coordinator. Talk only to your program coordinator after you spend some time to write out / communicate your career goals clearly.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #6
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaucom21 View Post
I have advised many of my past undergraduate students as well as past students planning on grad school. Try this:
1st: Write down your overall career goals in under 150 words.
2nd: Set goals (each goal that follows in 100 words or less). First list your career goal one year after graduation, then a career goal 2 years after graduation, then your career goal 5 years after graduation.
Professor abaucom21, you are so correct.

For anyone finishing college/grad/high/tech schools or otherwise looking to get their foot in the door somewhere, this is SOUND advice. And get used to doing them. Might as well start now. Many corporations have goal-setting with goal-oriented results as part of their annual performance evaluations.

I work for a large pharmaceutical company. And every year there are performance goals that are set by corporate, and it dribbles down through the organizations into site/department/personal goals using a very similar format. Successful execution of those goals - called results - on a personal level helps the entire organization. Plus, it can put you in a good light for a large bonus, promotion opportunities, etc. (all good things).

Things aren't easy out there. For anyone. Take advantage of advantages.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote