Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-06-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
CBH
VETT 4 5

Drives: Yellow 1SS/RS w/ Clutch
Just cut 'em off

While still burning the courtesy tank of gas from the dealer, just 14 hours after picking up the car, I had the stock mufflers cut off and replaced with straight pipes. It looks good. I attached the photo but Camaro5 won't let me attach sound file. There are plenty on YouTube though.

I was shocked how little difference there is in the sound. It's not loud at all. It sounds good, but louder would be OK.

The shop was surprised too at how quiet it was. They had done several other Camaros and said in each case there was a huge resonator just behind the cats, plus the huge twin cans at the tailpipes. Mine, however, just had 2 slight bulges past the cats. He thought the other cars were automatics (mine has a clutch), but wasn't sure.

When they cut them off we fired it up as a test. The shop guys had their ears plugged, expecting it to raise the roof. He said on the other cars they had always replaced with Magnaflows before testing. If the owner wanted, they then removed the upstream resonator for more sound.

It's cheap and quick - cut, test, and then spend the muffler $$ you expected to if you don't like it. But you'll like it just the way it is..........

Looks infinitely better than those stupid cans hanging down. I'm still amazed at how quiet the cats and trivial resonators are.

Ironically, my Suburban had an exhaust leak just behind the cats that I had repaired at this shop about a month ago. I hate to admit it, but it had a deeper growl and was louder than the Camaro.
Attached Images

CBH is offline   Reply With Quote