Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #29
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
I've got the same problem dan. Pretty much exactly like that.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #30
YOUNGnRECKLESS
Building the Beast

Drives: 2010 VR LS3
i got pretty excited, in a bad way, reading your story here. i have the most horrid rattle coming from my right rear end...tried everything from loose bolts to rocks stuck, everything. the rattle still exists. cant find the dam thing and trust me, i looked EVERYWHERE possible. it rattles over the smallest bump and only when my right rear tire hits a bump. SO ANNOYING. brand new car and it sounds like a beater.

i laughed reading your ghost of christmas past comment because that is the best description ive heard for it. my rattle you can hear really really noticeably outside the car and i can hear it in the trunk when i lay back there and have someone drive it. its in the right rear wheel well area....any ideas from anyone? i cant take it anymore! i love my car but im about to cut the back half off
Old 06-13-2011, 05:09 AM   #31
Dans2SS

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Well my plan is to take it back to the dealer and before leaving it with them, actually making someone get in the car with me for a little ride along. Even though I told them it makes the noises especially when hot I'm sure the let the car sit all day and tested it cold. I'll keep the thread updated with any info I get.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:39 AM   #32
YOUNGnRECKLESS
Building the Beast

Drives: 2010 VR LS3
please do, thanks man. i have zero time to get to a dealer or a shop even. i dont see why i cant find it myself, seems so simple...
Old 06-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #33
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Thanks for keeping us updated on your issue. Hopefully this latest trip will get you all fixed up. Many miles and many smiles to you and your Camaro.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #34
Dans2SS

Not much accomplished today. I get to take it back on the 23rd. Took the service mgr out and was able to duplicate the sound going over bumps. For some reason I cant duplicate the brake noise locally, well let me correct that I can't dup it easliy locally. Not sure what the diff is running up the road to NoVa.

So I explained to him the brake sound and told him that I wasn't even trying to duplicate it. He told me to bring it back next thursday and he'd have the mechanics go with him to dup the bump sound and he was going to try and get something 'good-willed' to do to the rotors. he asked if I had slotted rotors, the Camaro never came with those did they? I know the Chargers had a TSB to replace the solid rotors with slotted but never heard about the camaros doing it.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #35
Mephisto2SSRS

Drives: 2010 LS3 Camaro
I had that same rear rattle last year. Took the dealer a few visits to find the culprit. Finally stated that it was a "broken brake clip". Well it fixed it except that a year later... It's baaaack. I feel so defeated with this problem.
Mephisto2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #36
Dans2SS

so they fixed the clip but not the cause. Great, sounds about right for how this dealer seems to function. The service guy actually looked disappointed that he heard the noise. Like if he pretended it wasn't there it be ok
Old 06-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #37
Mephisto2SSRS

Yeah but if you get anywhere with this let me know. I'm gonna probably go tO the dealership soon to try and get somewhere with this and some other things I'll post here if I do.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #38
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
If either of you would like I can get you in contact with our Customer Assistance team to try and help ease the work load for you when working with your dealer. Just send me a message if you want me to set you up!

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #39
Mephisto2SSRS

Well today on my way to work I decided to try something. I lightly applied the brakes over uneven sections of road that I know set off the ratting sound and viola! the noise vanishes. This makes me believe that indeed there is a broken piece of the pad retaining system either a window clip or pad clip. I Pmed you Jeff and am going to make an appointment with my dealership today. In the meantime Dan try to see if the rattle goes away on braking in the normal broken pavement areas around you.

*Also, I am wondering, due to this occuring a second time with me, if there is some fault in the clip design. Guess Ill find out

Best,

M

Last edited by Mephisto2SSRS; 06-20-2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: *Added Content
Old 06-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #40
Dans2SS

I thought for a while that he brake applied affected the noise, but it seems every time I think something about the sounds I disprove it. Weird if there was a clip issue that it hasn't been posted more like the trans output shaft issue
Old 06-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #41
Dans2SS

Round 4 another failure.

I'll disclaimer this with I may have over reacted. But I was extremely pissed during the call I received.

Drop the Camaro off at 9 and get the 'why are you here looks'. I explained how the last time i was there I took the service mgr out and he heard the noise and told me to bring it back today... 'oh ok' is the response.

At 11 I'm mowing the grass and my wife brings me the phone. Service manager starts we can't duplicate the noise, we inspected and find nothing, and as we told you last time its a characteristic of the car. At this time I go off. No cussing but I'm pretty much yelling into my phone how just last week he heard the noise and didn't know what it was now its normal again? Service mgr then goes we're still doing the brake work for you. I was like no you aren't I'm coming to get the car. I don't trust you all to touch the thing at this point. And I will be filing a complaint about this crap.

Now to rehash the car has been there 4 times for brake squeal and rattling sound. The rattling noise has been explained to me as being the following;
trip 1 - loose wing
trip 2 - normal noise see attached
trip 3 - blank stare I don't know what that is. bring it back
trip 4 - normal noise see attached again

So yeah I denied the brake service. But what they told me they were going to do was resurface the rotors, and if this wouldnt' fix the issue and probably shorten the life of the rotors or cause them to warp. On the paper they put they were going to do new pads too, so the combo of the 2 might have resolved it. But I didnt' know about pads at time of my rant.

I'm attaching the service note they keep giving me and I'm going to have my son video the noise so I can post it as well. I find it hard to believe this is normal, but happens on only one side of car and not every car since its a design issue. I guess I'm going to need to buy a Ford. Ive gotten shitty service from Dodge and Chevy now, Fords the only one I never tried
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #42
Dans2SS

So here is a video I took tonight. My son didn't get the hole I was driving over in the video I took a pic of it. Only drove over on drivers side since I've never heard it on passenger. And from looking at it only happens on back of car, I think what about you. But looking at the video does anyone think it matches the the GM paper above?

http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z...amaronoise.mp4
Attached Images

Last edited by Dans2SS; 06-23-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Dans2SS is offline   Reply With Quote