Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
RedRyder

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS M6 Camaro
Did my TSP underdrive pulley kill my battery?

I had my TSP underdrive pulley installed about a month ago. 3 weeks later my car became hard to start and eventually my battery was drained completely. I know underdrive pulleys have been known to kill battery cells on other platforms but I haven't heard anything like this for these new camaros. The battery is only 15 months old.

One reason I could think of that would make this more likely to happen to me is that I live and drive almost exclusively in the middle of the city. That's lots of low rpms and idling (I get about 11 mpg :( )

I have an aftermarket amp for the stock speakers and an amp/sub but I don't have the music loud regularly and the gains are set pretty low so I doubt the draw is significantly higher than stock.

What do you guys think? Possible?

UPDATE: No, my TSP Underdrive Pulley did not kill my battery. My malfunctioning power driver seat did.

Last edited by RedRyder; 09-23-2011 at 03:32 PM.
RedRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

Drives: sometimes
Test it at idle and cruising rpms with a voltmeter and a amp meter is your only answer. make sure you have a full load on it lights, A/C, fans etc.

You didn't mention the percentage reduction or size of the pulley.

You might need to go to a smaller alternator pulley but you won't know until you check the charging voltage and amps. Also check all of the connections and at the battery.
PoleCat2SSRS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
RedRyder

Before the battery died completely (when it was having troubles cranking sometimes), I was monitoring the voltmeter in the gauge pack. At start up, the car measured over 12V. While I would drive around it would stay up and over 13ish. However, once I stopped and idled, I could see it rapidly decline to around 11V.

It's the Texas Speed & Performance underdrive pulley, I haven't seen where they state an underdrive %. Battery connections are fine.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:02 AM   #4
stiletto7

Drives: 2011 SS Camaro
I would bet your combination of aftermarket stereo, frequent idling, and underdrive did it. The perfect storm.
stiletto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
hp junkie

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM
I've had the TSP underdrive on my car for two years and never had a charging problem.
2010 2SS M6 CGM LMR cold air, texas speed underdrive pulley and complete stainless exhaust 17/8 headers coated, comp LSR cam, push rods and trunion upgrade, norris catch can, prothane engine mounts, pfadt coilovers, BMR everything suspension, BMR four point strut, MGW billet shifter, barton pistol grip handle, AAC dome and footwell blue, all lights 25% tint, RKsport carbon inlay spoiler, powdercoated calipers, Stoptech stainless brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, West Bend Dyno tune 491rwhp and 465rwtq corrected.
hp junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:11 AM   #6
My First Camaro!

Drives: '18 5.7 RAM 1500 18' 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiletto7 View Post
I would bet your combination of aftermarket stereo, frequent idling, and underdrive did it. The perfect storm.
Probably. I have my Texas Speed underdrive and have Zero batt problems with it. (stock stereo) I do get a squeal out of the AC belt once in a while but that is the only problem.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
RedRyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiletto7 View Post
Hmm, this seems like a likely explanation. If this is the case I plan on getting a cam around the turn of the new year so it should negate the loss from the alternator because of the higher idle rpms. Hopefully the new battery will last till then Also, I'll be starting a job in 2 weeks that requires 30 min of highway driving everyday so maybe that will be less of a stress on the new battery.

However, the battery died in only 2-3 weeks. Can continual idling daily really kill a battery cell that fast? I'm assuming it is a battery cell that has died since its exhibiting all the signs that one has.

My audio system is two 400w amplifiers that never see full output btw. Not exactly a big system but I suppose it can hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp junkie View Post
I've had the TSP underdrive on my car for two years and never had a charging problem.
You have a cam and most likely higher idle so I wouldn't imagine it would happen on your car
Old 07-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #8
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
You could always bump your idle rpm up just a hair if you feel like the underdrive is holding you back with your aftermarket stereo. Just about every LS vehicle for the last nearly 15 years has had a option for underdrive pulleys & had nothing but great results from them. I doubt the pulley is causing the problem, but a slight change in idle rpm can help to offset some of that.
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
RedRyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA View Post
You could always bump your idle rpm up just a hair if you feel like the underdrive is holding you back with your aftermarket stereo. Just about every LS vehicle for the last nearly 15 years has had a option for underdrive pulleys & had nothing but great results from them. I doubt the pulley is causing the problem, but a slight change in idle rpm can help to offset some of that.
That's true, I'm actually visiting my tuner next week. Maybe I'll ask them to bump it up 100 rpms or so.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
The billet altenator over drive pulley fixes this issue (and it only seems to pop up with after market A/V eqquipments due to the extra load).

$69
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #11
Atorius

Drives: 2010 SS (LS3)
It's the Amp. Aftermarket audio is killer on the stock charging system and when you pair it up with an underdrive pulling it can kill your Batt. fast. I have seen it alot over the years with friends. Hope that helps.
Atorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:34 PM   #12
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
What would be the rpm's the idle needs to be bumped up? Also, how does the air and power steering work at idle? Also, for anyone who has bumped up their idle, does the car creep a bit harder when in gear? I'm thinking about ordering one this week, but I wanna make sure it doesn't affect my car in a negative way. Thanks.
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #13
RedRyder

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
What would be the rpm's the idle needs to be bumped up? Also, how does the air and power steering work at idle? Also, for anyone who has bumped up their idle, does the car creep a bit harder when in gear? I'm thinking about ordering one this week, but I wanna make sure it doesn't affect my car in a negative way. Thanks.
I got my tuner to bump up the idle to 750 (from the stock 550?). With this, the voltage on my voltmeter never drops like it did before when idling However, I was told this isn't really the way the problem should be handled and that you should really get an overdrive pulley for the alternator. For me, I would rather just turn up the idle until I get a cam, in which case the idle will be bumped up even more anyway.

The air and power steering is fine though, the only problem I had was with the undercharging of the battery. I imagine if you had an automatic the car would creep more when you took your foot off the brakes. I have a manual though.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:22 PM   #14
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Was it the OEM battery? I've always felt the OE batterys weren't that great to begin with... I think they are only warrantied for a year anyway?

Maybe I'm totally off base here?
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote