Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
firengnred

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 2500 Silverado
Question about back pressure and torque

So here's the deal..... I ordered the Magnaflow Comp. Series Axle Back exhaust and perforated X-Pipe to replace stock L-99 system. After receiving and installing, sound was awesome and torque was definitely increased. I was loving it. Then I found out I had been sent a dual straight through muffler instead of the perforated X-Pipe. Contacted retailer and they sent me the correct muffler and paid for the shop to swap out the wrong muffler. What a disappointing difference. Now the car sounds barely better than stock and has lost the torque it had with the other muffler.

Now someone correct me if I'm wrong. I understand back pressure helps with torque and I believe that is why I could feel more torque with the straight through muffler. No crossover meant more back pressure and more torque. But now that I have the X-Pipe crossover, less back pressure so less torque. The only mods are the exhaust and Super chips tune. I intend to put on a CAI Inc intake which should be arriving this week and eventually a maggie. Undecided about LTH as I live in Ca.

So my question is, can I expect the torque to return with the intake swap, as this will allow more air in to build more back pressure? Is there a real advantage to the X-Pipe vs the straight through? I know the maggie will give me LOADS of torque but could it be more with the straight through? I guess what I'm getting at is, should I keep the X-Pipe or the straight through?

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."
firengnred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Got to remember that the pipes themselves act like restrictors which build torque.Probly the best power is to delete the mufflers and run straight pipes since the existing cats and the length of the pipes have the correct flow.

The most restrictive part of the exhaust is the placement of the stock Cats.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
How many times are you going to ask the EXACT SAME QUESTION?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Less back pressure will raise the peak torque RPM point.

What's up with your particular set up? Only a dyno and someone good at tuning could tell you.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
firengnred

Just changed the thread title to try and get more response.

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."
Old 02-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
firengnred

Quote:
What's up with your particular set up? Only a dyno and someone good at tuning could tell you.
Unfortunately I didn't dyno the other exhaust set up so I have no comparison numbers to work with.

This has got me digging around here and the web and I'm finding that this whole back pressure helps torque thing to be a myth. As Axis pointed out in my other thread. But, I know what I felt with the straight through set up. Launches and roll-ons were more forceful. More violent. Rear end would break loose alot easier. It wasn't just louder.