Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-03-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
Myka
ritired suthern gentlman

Drives: nothing now
E85 Compatibility

I'm wondering what anyone's guess or input would be on this possibility. I think it would make the most sense for the 3.6 DI sense it has a high comp ratio. E85 would not only make more power for the 11.3:1, but it would also make it a more efficient fuel. Which I know is important to people because I hear people complain all the time about the drop in fuel economy. E85 is 2.99 here in SW Missouri. So, it would be nice to be able to fill up on it. Also, there are tax incentives for buying a Flex vehicle and for buying a certain amount of the fuel in a year.

Also, consider how much power could be made on a supercharged V8 version.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I was thinking this would be a great idea for ALL Camaros. Something to stick it to the "you're a gas hog owner" crybabies. It makes perfect sense in this era for them to make the car flex-fuel.

Does this ability cost a lot extra or is it a small expense? Seems like it's just a different material for the fuel system and some computer tweaks and maybe a sensor to monitor the octane of the fuel.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:00 PM   #3
Myka
ritired suthern gentlman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I was thinking this would be a great idea for ALL Camaros. Something to stick it to the "you're a gas hog owner" crybabies. It makes perfect sense in this era for them to make the car flex-fuel.

Does this ability cost a lot extra or is it a small expense? Seems like it's just a different material for the fuel system and some computer tweaks and maybe a sensor to monitor the octane of the fuel.
I believe that's exactly what it involves. Teflon and stainless steel for the fuel lines and rails. Then, there is an alcohol sensor to send the message to the ECU. The more cars that are produced like this, the more cost efficient it should be.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:50 AM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
GM is a leader in the automotive industry...and it wouldn't suprise me if they began a new trend in the musclecar/sports car area w/ E85. I haven't seen any E85 pumps around my area, but would gladly accept running it in my Camaro.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I haven't seen any E85 pumps around my area, but would gladly accept running it in my Camaro.
No pumps here yet either. I'll drive a car that burns corn.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
Myka
ritired suthern gentlman

I found it really strange that there were no pumps in TX and especially strange if there are none in OK. So, I looked up a station locator and found this:
http://www.e85refueling.com/

It may just be that they are not in your immediate area yet. On that site you can type in your zip to get a specific location.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #7
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
only problem is these biofuels are the cause of rising food prices all over the world...so i don't see production of e 85 lasting
chevydude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #8
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
only problem is these biofuels are the cause of rising food prices all over the world...so i don't see production of e 85 lasting
You're mixing up cause and effect. Increased energy prices cause both the rising food prices and the popularity of biofuels. While corn is NOT the best choice for making biofuels, it is a myth that corn prices rising from biofuels are the cause of increased food prices.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #9
Nickdago

Drives: 01 Z06 08 CTS 07 Avy LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
You're mixing up cause and effect. Increased energy prices cause both the rising food prices and the popularity of biofuels. While corn is NOT the best choice for making biofuels, it is a myth that corn prices rising from biofuels are the cause of increased food prices.
Actually it is no myth. Food prices have risen dramatically since we started using our crops to make fuel and will continue to strech our food supplies until we develop a way to make ethanol without using our food crops. It is no coincidence that food prices have risen with the demand of corn for ethonal no matter what the politicians try to tell you. Corn is a basic staple around the world not only for people but for our livestock as well. And while energy costs as well as weather play a part in food prices do not think for one minute that using our food crops and land to grow gas is not effecting your food prices.
Nickdago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #10
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
I'd love an E85 compatible Camaro, but I'll buy it either way.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #11
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro (Sookie)
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickdago View Post
Actually it is no myth. Food prices have risen dramatically since we started using our crops to make fuel and will continue to strech our food supplies until we develop a way to make ethanol without using our food crops. It is no coincidence that food prices have risen with the demand of corn for ethonal no matter what the politicians try to tell you. Corn is a basic staple around the world not only for people but for our livestock as well. And while energy costs as well as weather play a part in food prices do not think for one minute that using our food crops and land to grow gas is not effecting your food prices.
What do you suggest we do? I'm for making E85,and other alternative fuels, In fact I will buy a volt for my commuting, but I don't want to have food sky rocket either. Can't we just increase corn production? I know we need more land, but if my brother in-law can grow stuff in his room using hydropnics, can't we do the same thing in large plants or wearhouses? I mean we put chemicals in vegetables already, can't we just make special corn on steroid that's made just for making E85? For know I think we have to drill. Some one said something about everyone will just have to stop driving gas guzzlers and SUVs. Even if we stop driving SUVs and gas guzzlers,(I dare some idiot liberal like Al Gore to tell me to stop driving my Camaro), That not even a 20% of consumption. We have to make big semi-trucks efficient as well, not to mention commercial airplanes, commercial transportation, cargo ships, and the list goes on. We cannot stifle our American auto industry including ford and Chrysler. Oh, by the way, other German, Italian, British, and Japanese auto manufacturers are losing mony too because we are not buying their cars. The whole world is in this sh*t too.

I dare some one to tell me I can't buy this car or question my priorities. I'm for the American economy and the American way! I want to have my Camaro and fill her up and not have to think twice about how much it costs. I want to enjoy the spoils of my success.

On a happier note, everybody going to buy some stock in GM on monday? I hear we can get it for $7. I think that should boost the moral.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #12
theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickdago View Post
That simplistic view would make it nice and easy to place blame, but that's not how it is. Energy prices are the problem.

I agree that politicians are full of crap, but they're the ones blaming biofuel for rising food prices. I agree that it's no coincidence -- it is, as I said, that energy prices cause BOTH food price rise AND production of biofuels...so of course biofuel production and food price have risen with a strong correlation.

Ever heard of farm subsidies? The government pays farmers to NOT produce crops. Why not let them farm, which is what they want to do anyway?

I have it straight from the farmer's mouth on a truck forum; he reports that corn prices (that he gets paid) just have not risen much at all (and I'll note that when you go to the grocery store to buy fresh corn on the cob, it's nearly the same price it's always been). The increase is not about the supply of corn, it's about the energy used to process it (and all other foods).

http://www.foodandfuelamerica.com/20...t-of-food.html says this:
Quote:
Corn prices have little effect on the cost of food. Only 19 cents of every dollar spent on food goes back to the farm, and corn is just a fraction of that 19 cents.

More than 80 cents goes to labor, transportation, energy, etc. Americans who are upset about prices should point their fingers at the effect of a 29-percent increase in energy costs in 2007.

That gobbled up more of the family budget than the 4.8 percent rise in food prices - only slightly above the general inflation rate.

[...]

For example, at current corn prices, the corn to produce a gallon of milk contributes just 13 cents to the price.
Anyway, corn is NOT the best choice for making biofuel, especially when you consider that they don't even use the whole plant. They're just using the kernel, and discarding the rest as waste. They could use more of the waste, or even better, they could use plants that are more efficient at producing fuel. There's loads of them, plants that can grow in each climate/region.

Best yet would be to harvest as much of the waste stream as possible; there's loads of ways to do this and they should all be in use. There's a company making fuel from algae grown on raw sewage; it doesn't take much energy input at all, they harvest the algae to make into fuel, and what's left is water nearly clean enough to irrigate crops. There's a few companies making biofuel from slaughterhouse waste. It is reasonable to make fuel from discarded tires, even. There's LOADS of places to get material for ethanol/[bio]diesel fuels, and it's not unreasonable to assemble the lot of them into a pretty decent sized supply -- maybe nowhere near enough for everything, but certainly enough to make a big difference.
Quote:
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
Old 07-04-2008, 08:00 PM   #13
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
its not a myth its common freakin sense...

when you divert 30% of the corn supply away from food production...econ 101 tells you the price is going to go up because your straining the supply

i'm sice of these environmentalists and their liberal policies that just don't work and actually end up making evrything worse...
chevydude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #14
theholycow

You're not straining the supply when you had far too much supply before. The price of corn hasn't gone up much, and its effect on general food prices is just not much to begin with. All the energy that goes into processing, producing, and distributing food, OTOH, has gotten way more expensive.
Quote: