Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-27-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Paint your own stripes?

So I plan on getting my Camaro in black and then adding matte black stripes to it like the SPecial Edition 500KR. So I was google'ing info on vynyl stripe kits just to get an idea of how much they cost because paint is an arm/leg and came across this article about painting your own stripes:

...your other option is actual paint. As long as you know how to mask off areas and work a spray paint can you are more than qualified to put basic racing stripes on your ride. You can even customize the color of certain exterior parts this way. For example, if you wanted to paint your rocker panel silver and your truck is red. I don't advise getting too wild - don't drink a pint of whiskey then attempt to paint a dragon on your mustang, but if you want basic color change options, this is easy and dirt cheap. Simply select the spray paint in the color you'd like. Make sure you're purchasing auto body paint, not generic spray paint. The generic stuff will work, but the auto body ones are designed for more weather conditions. You may also want to get a primer and some fine sandpaper.
Mask of the areas which you do not want to paint. I highly suggest literally masking everything with tarps because over spray can ruin your month. Be sure that your tape lines are precise. Prep your vehicle as directed on the primer can then spray your new color. I suggest spraying several light layers to avoid drippage. Oh, and here's a tip - don't paint under a tree or near anything that can blow stuff into your wet paint. If a leaf falls into your paint your going to have a hell of a time trying to make it look smooth.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ms.html?page=2

Does anybody know if this is a truly feasible option or done it themselves? I'd hate to ruin my paint job if I made a mistake, but honestly I think I can capably do this, especially being that I wouldn't be appying a glossy color. Any thoughts?
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
SSNIGHTMARE

Drives: 2002 SS Camaro
I personally would not rattle can my new camaro, but it is your car. I would not be happy with the results you will get from a spray can. Just because I can weld in my garage does not mean I am qualified to perform structural welding.
SSNIGHTMARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
carsismeZ06
Corvette and Camaro lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro...some day...
I want black on black too, but factory, not custom
Old 06-27-2008, 12:54 PM   #4
Rallysport
Go Cardinals!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6-speed #1879
Please tell me you are not serious about using a bomb-can to spray stripes on a brand new automobile! While having a bodyshop spray stripes may cost "an arm and a leg", as a shop owner of almost 25 years I have to say: You get what you pay for. Besides, think of what a spraycan paintjob would do to your car's value. Then think of how much it will cost to re-do the hack-job. You can do whatever you want to your car, just don't be surprised when it looks like pure Sh!t if you bomb can it.
Rallysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
It is possible to get decent results from rattle cans, but rare.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #6
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
it is feasible but you need to make sure you can make it look like it wasn't just done with a can of spray paint (you wouldn't want stripes in your stripes would you?). it really isn't that hard, you just need to make sure your lines are smooth, straight, and even. if you really want to be sure it'll work go down to an auto recycler and pick up a black hood(any body panel will work but hood will give more practice area) and then just tape off the hood so you can use it more than once

Good luck
Old 06-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
blackZbandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsismeZ06 View Post
I want black on black too, but factory, not custom
If they offer what I want from the factory that will DEFINITLEY be the way I go. The problem I forsee is the type of stripes i want. A) I don't want pin stripes around the main ones because that is a very vintage look to me and personally this car is a modern classic. B) I want the front stripes to go all the way down the front bumper to the chin, which I can't recall ever seeing on a Camaro. I'll probably just go vynyl because I basically want this:

in Camaro form (black rims too!)

(I thought of the idea before I saw this Mustang, but once I found the picture it was a sealed deal)
Old 06-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #8
Beyond Limits
Pushin a rock...

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Nothin says lovin like a can of Krylon...

Go to your local home improvement store, get a 4'x8' piece of masonite, some masking tape and a box of rattle cans in flat black. Mask off and paint yourself a pair of black stripes and then stand back and ask yourself if you could really live with something like that on your new baby.

I was talking to an automotive painter once about flat paint jobs. It is really amazing just how hard it is to get a flat paint job to look good because there is no way to hide any imperfections since there is no clearcoat that you can color sand which is how almost all imperfections in custom automotive paint jobs are taken care of.
Beyond Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
Rallysport
Go Cardinals!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6-speed #1879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond Limits View Post
Nothin says lovin like a can of Krylon...

Go to your local home improvement store, get a 4'x8' piece of masonite, some masking tape and a box of rattle cans in flat black. Mask off and paint yourself a pair of black stripes and then stand back and ask yourself if you could really live with something like that on your new baby.

I was talking to an automotive painter once about flat paint jobs. It is really amazing just how hard it is to get a flat paint job to look good because there is no way to hide any imperfections since there is no clearcoat that you can color sand which is how almost all imperfections in custom automotive paint jobs are taken care of.
There ya go. Try this and see how it looks....betcha don't end up bomb-canning your new car afterall.
Rallysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:46 PM   #10
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
if they wont put black racing stipes on my hugger orange camaro,then i'll take it to a body shop.i want the stripes clear coated. no one comes near my car with a rattle can
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:48 PM   #11
unkbd

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
So I plan on getting my Camaro in black and then adding matte black stripes to it like the SPecial Edition 500KR. So I was google'ing info on vynyl stripe kits just to get an idea of how much they cost because paint is an arm/leg and came across this article about painting your own stripes:

...your other option is actual paint. As long as you know how to mask off areas and work a spray paint can you are more than qualified to put basic racing stripes on your ride. You can even customize the color of certain exterior parts this way. For example, if you wanted to paint your rocker panel silver and your truck is red. I don't advise getting too wild - don't drink a pint of whiskey then attempt to paint a dragon on your mustang, but if you want basic color change options, this is easy and dirt cheap. Simply select the spray paint in the color you'd like. Make sure you're purchasing auto body paint, not generic spray paint. The generic stuff will work, but the auto body ones are designed for more weather conditions. You may also want to get a primer and some fine sandpaper.
Mask of the areas which you do not want to paint. I highly suggest literally masking everything with tarps because over spray can ruin your month. Be sure that your tape lines are precise. Prep your vehicle as directed on the primer can then spray your new color. I suggest spraying several light layers to avoid drippage. Oh, and here's a tip - don't paint under a tree or near anything that can blow stuff into your wet paint. If a leaf falls into your paint your going to have a hell of a time trying to make it look smooth.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ms.html?page=2

Does anybody know if this is a truly feasible option or done it themselves? I'd hate to ruin my paint job if I made a mistake, but honestly I think I can capably do this, especially being that I wouldn't be appying a glossy color. Any thoughts?
No way!!! You know, I've heard about rednecks, and I might have a little bit of that in me but damn dude........ your loaded with it!!!
unkbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:26 PM   #12
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
hmm lol if your are going to get a custom paint job anyway, go ahead and get a spray can and try it first

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #13
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Wow, thank god I am going for hockey stripes which I am assuming they will just make decals of.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:58 PM   #14
blackZbandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkbd View Post
No way!!! You know, I've heard about rednecks, and I might have a little bit of that in me but damn dude........ your loaded with it!!!

Not too sure about that, I'm Black, I'm from South Central and I have a degree from UCLA... all very non-redneck traits if I say so myself! I'm just a cheap do-it-yourself kind of guy! I don't mind spending the money for the stripes, but if I can save $1k+ by doing it @ home I'm all for it. Needless to say after the keyboard lashing I've gotten after posting this thread I think I'll just take it to a custom paint shop!