Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #113
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
When you initially turn the car on, PTM is off and stability control is on. If you tap the stability control button once (located in front of shifter) you will have turned of stability control, you have now turned off all electronic aides.
Thanks, now a question...so then at this point one would be able to boil the tires off the car and run the motor up to the rev limiter without the electronics taking any power out of the motor? We would be then in the full tilt/balls to the wall mode?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #114
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Thanks, now a question...so then at this point one would be able to boil the tires off the car and run the motor up to the rev limiter without the electronics taking any power out of the motor? We would be then in the full tilt/balls to the wall mode?
You got it, however realize the the rear may be sliding all over the place with stability control disengaged. Traction control is what limits torque/power to the rear.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #115
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
I had to read for 18 hours straight to understand it, finally found the new manual for the Camaro which includes all the ZL1 functions and it helped explain a lot.

Where did you find that at and how come it's not a sticky????

Or did I just miss it......
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #116
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Yet another question: I believe the reviewer stated that mode 5 is also meant to be used with drag radials. What happens if you're in this mode on stock tires?
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #117
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post

Looking for this to add to the FAQ.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #118
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
You got it, however realize the the rear may be sliding all over the place with stability control disengaged. Traction control is what limits torque/power to the rear.
Yes that's true, may I note I am an old drag racer who didn't have the luxury of electronic Nannies to watch my derriere...just a Guardian Angel...
Old 02-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #119
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
Yet another question: I believe the reviewer stated that mode 5 is also meant to be used with drag radials. What happens if you're in this mode on stock tires?
It might sound like I'm arguing a semantic, but I'm not

I don't think anything will happen. I think they're stance would likely be that you can't expect the maximum benefit from that mode without VHT or DRs. If you're thinking that you shouldn't run in Mode 5 without either of those, I'm only suggesting that those are just not the conditions that mode was designed for and you wouldn't get the maximum benefit from it without those details We didn't see any videos with ZL1 on DRs from the track tests, so, once again - I have more questions than answers.

All in due time

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #120
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Nope, that's a fine answer.
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #121
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Well - it seems that TC is probably somewhat there, because it has to manipulate power/traction, so there still has to be some intervention. On ZR1 - the MR was softened, too, to allow more weight transfer, but I'm not sure if that's going to be on ZL1, too - I wouldn't see why not...

So many questions, lol. I think you're right, though. I would like to see if everything can be turned off, though, because I've read and heard that Mr. Link's 'Ring run was with everything "OFF", so that leads me to believe that is something we're going to see, too...

I wonder then what setting they designed for road course? I thought it was setting 5 but if it softens the suspension for weight transfer then this would not be ideal.
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #122
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by toilets View Post
I wonder then what setting they designed for road course? I thought it was setting 5 but if it softens the suspension for weight transfer then this would not be ideal.
If they do this it would only be during launch mode. Mode 5 would still be the most advanced mode for the road course.

dougshelbyengineering.com

www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering

www.instagram.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #123
Uneducated Guess
'12 ZL1 #742

Drives: his wife crazy
Quote:

It's on the chevy website now. I told Dragoneye he should put it in his sub-stickies.
Uneducated Guess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #124
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uneducated Guess View Post
It's on the chevy website now. I told Dragoneye he should put it in his sub-stickies.
Good to know!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #125
Uneducated Guess
'12 ZL1 #742

Drives: his wife crazy
ZL1 Manual.

http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/...2k12camaro.pdf
Uneducated Guess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #126
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:

Somebody posted the owners manual for the 2012 Camaro with the ZL1 feautures included, it was posted on another thread, can anbody assist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
It might sound like I'm arguing a semantic, but I'm not

I don't think anything will happen. I think they're stance would likely be that you can't expect the maximum benefit from that mode without VHT or DRs. If you're thinking that you shouldn't run in Mode 5 without either of those, I'm only suggesting that those are just not the conditions that mode was designed for and you wouldn't get the maximum benefit from it without those details We didn't see any videos with ZL1 on DRs from the track tests, so, once again - I have more questions than answers.

All in due time
That sounds right from what I have gathered, running mode 5 on the streets would probably yield a slower time.