Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 12-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
V8 6MT swap into a V6 6MT car

I want to increase the power level on my V6 well beyond stock. Whether it will be a turbo, SC, or nitrous, remains yet to be seen.

Doesn't really matter as even an intake technically pushes the stock tranny past it limits. The V6 manual cars transmissions are barely rated at the STOCK power level!

I'd love to get the tranny built, but between the costs of a new clutch, and all the labor, it may be cheaper to do this swap.

Soo, does anyone know if it is possible to do this swap? All I know is that the V6 M6 cars have the SS rear already.

Exactly what I'm trying to do:

6-speed Manual (Aisin Warner AY6) swapped out for the 6-speed Manual (TR6060).

If anyone knows a place around NY that I could get my manual tranny built and for how much, I'd be interested in that too...

Thanks!
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Kid

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT, 68 Camaro RS
In the end, it may be cheaper to build the tranny you have...if you can find a performance build for the Aisin. Don't forget enven the manuals are conected to the computer, so at a minimum you are looking at:

TR6060 unit
Clutch (custom to fit between the TR6060 and a v6)
Custom adapter for the bellhousing
Crossmember
Hydralics for the TR6060
Harness adapters for the tranny controls
Tuning for the computer to recognize and work with the tranny

I may be missing some stuff (driveshaft?), but I think this list would already cost more than a rebuild and Spec clutch.

Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
Out if curiosity what manual tuning are you talking about. Besides skip shift and the pedal sensor and I don't believe there is anything. The car doesn't know what gear you are in and it doesn't shift for you.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Kid

I realize it doesn't shift for you

I'm not an expert, so I'm talking out my a$$ a bit. But the fact it has any sensors in the tranny, means the computer reads them. It's possibly (and likely) that if you were to remove the solenoid that handles the skip shift, the v6 computer would not know. I'm not sure what parameters, if any, the v6 computer reads from the tranny. The only issue you may have is a CIL. If that isn't a concern, not an issue.

I still think that the other parts to mount the tranny plus the cost of the tranny to begin with, would make it not worth while.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
6060 wont fit w/out an adaptor.....and I am not aware of any after market hard parts for the AY6 yet.....just clutch/PP....
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
camaro-21

Drives: 2011 cyber grey metallic camaro v6
I have this company that is gonna make some stronger synchros for our transmission if you are interested.
2011 camaro v6- sts turbo w/ meth injection, barton short throw, spec stage 3+ clutch, forgestar f-14 rims, Nitto invo tires, pfadt sway bars drop springs and end links, rx catch can, goodridge stainless steel brake lines, aac halos afterburner taillights and sidemarkers, sebon carbon rear diffuser.
camaro-21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro-21 View Post
I have this company that is gonna make some stronger synchros for our transmission if you are interested.
With synchros and a stronger clutch, excluding the rear, what else would I have to worry about breaking?
Old 12-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
6060 wont fit w/out an adaptor.....and I am not aware of any after market hard parts for the AY6 yet.....just clutch/PP....
Could an adapter be made? How expensive would that cost and how difficult would it be to make?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
camaro-21

Drives: 2011 cyber grey metallic camaro v6
An adapter is gonna be more expensive but with a better clutch and synchros you shouldn't have to worry about grind or gears popping out. I will have more info soon after the holidays
2011 camaro v6- sts turbo w/ meth injection, barton short throw, spec stage 3+ clutch, forgestar f-14 rims, Nitto invo tires, pfadt sway bars drop springs and end links, rx catch can, goodridge stainless steel brake lines, aac halos afterburner taillights and sidemarkers, sebon carbon rear diffuser.
camaro-21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
The M6 in the SS is not connected with he ecm. I just did an auto swap in my M6 SS and the ECM could careless that the m6 isn't there anymore.

This should be an easy swap but RX is the expert imo
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #11
twmotox

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT RS
I read on here all the time about people wanting to do various swaps, v6 to v8, mtm to atm , aisin to 6060 and usually everyone is told no. You go through this with just about every car on the market that is worth modifying. These swaps will all eventually be done and most have been done. You just have to have the original few pioneers to get the ball rolling and figure out how to do it at a reasonable cost to make it feasable. Same thing was said about my 4.7 to hemi dodge ram swap and many others that are being done regularily now. These cars are still just very new and not many people are willing to do what it takes yet and that is very understandable but it will come. Just my .02
Old 12-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
It can be done absolutely, but the cost is the concern. The shift forks are weak and bend easy with hard shifts as well so stronger shift forks, better syncros, and cryo treat gears and shafts and it should be stronger, but I would like to do a swap of a 6060 in just so I can have a chance to mahe the adators and see just what else is needed. The shifter will sit in basically the same place and the hydraulic clutch slave/throwout bearing is not going to be an issue, just the bell housing bolt pattern is no where near close and then the depth, input shaft length, spline, etc. etc. We can machine a pilot bearing, etc to fit the 6060 in the LLT/LFX crank, so if anyone wants to spend the $ and go for it we would do it.

Here is the V6 trans & bell housing:

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #13
Kid

SC: Do you have the measurements for both bell housings front to back? It would be much easier if the Aisin was shorter by an inch or so. A simply adapter plate could slide in there. But if they are the same length, I would assume a custom bell housing is in order.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #14
twmotox

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT RS
Correct and the older thecars get the lower the cost will be. Its just a matter of being patient. I have done lots of crazy swaps at my shop and if the opportunity presented itself in the form of a wrecked SS I would probably jump right in. Sometimes my enthuaism gets the better of me and sometimes a create some really cool swaps.