Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
Kgarner1624

Drives: 13' BRM ZL1 A6
If you're debating headers

I would like to start off by saying that i have a 2010 2ss L99 with TSP LT 1 1/7'' headers and love them. absolutely ZERO problems. I purchased the headers to tip packaged that includes cats and magnaflow catback exhaust and also let them tune it.

If you are playing with the idea of installing headers on your car but can't quite give in because of whatever reason, i'll give you the pros and cons i have encountered after having had LTs on my car for year now..

Pros: The install was very simple and only took about an hour.
They look cool as hell...
The power increase w/tune was outstanding.
The attention my car gets now is unreal, it truly sounds like a beast. i also have a 2010 2ss LS3 which is straight piped and the sounds are not even comparable. The headers add a much deeper and more muscle car like sound. You will not be satisfied by any exhaust while still having the stock manifolds. You just won't. I get compliments every time i stop somewhere, its pretty awesome.

I have a buddy with an 09' R/T challenger that is straight piped with no other mods, never could keep up with my car when it was stock and now its not even close. Have another friend with a 14' mustang GT/CS 5.0 that is also straight piped, a bit quicker than mine when both stock but now i can easily walk that car which is an awesome feeling. Neither car looking or sounding better than my Super Sport. And that my friends is what its all about right. Looking and sounding better than the competition while out perfroming them.

Cons: NONE
Kgarner1624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
MedicalCowboy
Save lives? Hahahahaha

Drives: An ambulance, a 2ss/rs, x-wing
What is your definition of straight piped? Do you mean muffler delete? Cat delete? Resonator delete? Or all of the above?
MedicalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
TSP headers are definitely the way to go. I don't get why somebody would spend over twice as much.

Last edited by shibbs; 04-08-2014 at 01:31 PM.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
Kgarner1624

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicalCowboy View Post
What is your definition of straight piped? Do you mean muffler delete? Cat delete? Resonator delete? Or all of the above?
resonator and muffler delete.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
Kgarner1624

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
TSP headers are definitely the way to go. I don't get why somebody will spend over twice as much.
That's exactly right, great price and great product. Definitely worth it.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
BasedSS

Drives: 2014 SS
Well said sir.
2014 SS Stainless Works Headers w/ high flow cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Exhaust, Jannety Tune, Hurst short throw, APEX catch can, Tampa Tunning Throttle Body, APEX/Gen5 LED fogs, CAI Intake system, Diode Dynamics LED's, ACS T4 Splitter
BasedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
Quote:
TSP headers are definitely the way to go. I don't get why somebody would spend over twice as much.
I hear ya - but its sort of like buying 1LE wheels vs Reproductions. Some just want the real deal...the COPO usings ARH!
Old 04-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
Kgarner1624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace View Post
I hear ya - but its sort of like buying 1LE wheels vs Reproductions. Some just want the real deal...the COPO usings ARH!
I would have loved to go with ARH but they were a little expensive, $1200-$1400 if im not mistaking, where as the headers to tips package from Texas Speed was around $1200, a little more w/cats.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #9
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Mens Rustler blue jeans are $10 at Walmart. I take it all your blue jeans are from walmart? Why would anyone pay up to 10x as much for name brand ones?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #10
Kgarner1624

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Mens Rustler blue jeans are $10 at Walmart. I take it all your blue jeans are from walmart? Why would anyone pay up to 10x as much for name brand ones?
same concept but doesn't really hold true in this case. Someone might have 20 extra dollors to buy a nice pair of jeans, does not mean i have an extra $1200 to blow when there absolutly no reason when you are getting the same performance numbers and same quality.. which is honestly all that matters. Its about being smart with money, i have nice things because i am smart with my money, not because i am rich.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #11
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Drives: 2019 Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
\Yeah I have no comment.

rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:10 PM   #12
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgarner1624 View Post
same concept but doesn't really hold true in this case. Someone might have 20 extra dollors to buy a nice pair of jeans, does not mean i have an extra $1200 to blow when there absolutly no reason when you are getting the same performance numbers and same quality.. which is honestly all that matters. Its about being smart with money, i have nice things because i am smart with my money, not because i am rich.
The point is, some people want the most from the least amount of money where others want quality American made products. I'm not knocking TSP at all. I always recommend them to anyone wanting a good budget header. I was just responding to the one I quoted. If TSP were the end all be all of headers, there'd be no reason for anyone else to make them.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #13
BFASTNOTLAST

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Like most everything in this lovely world we live in "You get what you pay for" It's your own investment and the decision is yours. I have the Kooks stepped header, to me that was worth it to others it may not be. I'm more of a do it once and do it right guy. And then again we are all just a little different!
BFASTNOTLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #14
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgarner1624 View Post
I would like to start off by saying that i have a 2010 2ss L99 with TSP LT 1 1/7'' headers and love them. absolutely ZERO problems. I purchased the headers to tip packaged that includes cats and magnaflow catback exhaust and also let them tune it.

If you are playing with the idea of installing headers on your car but can't quite give in because of whatever reason, i'll give you the pros and cons i have encountered after having had LTs on my car for year now..

Pros: The install was very simple and only took about an hour.
They look cool as hell...
The power increase w/tune was outstanding.
The attention my car gets now is unreal, it truly sounds like a beast. i also have a 2010 2ss LS3 which is straight piped and the sounds are not even comparable. The headers add a much deeper and more muscle car like sound. You will not be satisfied by any exhaust while still having the stock manifolds. You just won't. I get compliments every time i stop somewhere, its pretty awesome.

I have a buddy with an 09' R/T challenger that is straight piped with no other mods, never could keep up with my car when it was stock and now its not even close. Have another friend with a 14' mustang GT/CS 5.0 that is also straight piped, a bit quicker than mine when both stock but now i can easily walk that car which is an awesome feeling. Neither car looking or sounding better than my Super Sport. And that my friends is what its all about right. Looking and sounding better than the competition while out perfroming them.

Cons: NONE
There really isn't a Con with the headers but some may argue there is a Con for the tune. The loss of the powertrain warranty.

I still highly recommend LT headers and tune. I got mine when the car was less than a year old and only 3,500 miles so that obviously wasn't a concern for me but it is a concern for some.

Congrats on the upgrade! Now you need a stall speed and some gears.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote