Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #127
King T

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Let's assume that GMC went away. What is the percentage of GMC owners (myself included) that you believe will NOT buy a Chevrolet product that's in the same market segment? Assuming the same retention rates of course....
That is a very slippery slope. One thing no one can ever plan is how people will behave. I mean, of course it would make sense that if GMC went away that those customers would automatically go to the Chevrolet equivalent. But it may not be that easy. People get emotional. They might feel slighted that GMC got axed, and be like "To hell with GM with getting rid of GMC, I'll go buy a Tundra/F-150/Titan/Ram"! Remember there were people that would buy a Pontiac Firebird/Trans Am but would NEVER touch a Camaro! Back in the late '60's and '70s when they had different engines, packages and things I understood. By the 90's and 2000's when they both used the LT1 and LS1 they were more alike than even before, except for styling.

Here are some comments from different sites about the subject

Quote:
i've owned both; i prefer GMC and drive one now.

they are pretty much identical mechanically but the GMC's are better insulated and have a quieter ride. And I think they look much better.

I would rather them do away with the silverado than the sierra, mainly because of looks.
Quote:
The GMC has always been a better looking truck. Back in the day there was big differences. If it was me I would ditch chevy trucks and keep GMC for SUV and truck sales.
Quote:
I love my GMC Yukon Denali and I'd much rather do away with Chevy Trucks/SUV's than GMC. I do agree it seems redundant to have 2 companies producing almost exactly the same type of vehicle but Ford does the same GM does. Ford-Basic, Mercury-Intermediate, Lincoln-Luxury while GM has Chevy-Basic, GMC-Intermediate, Cadillac-Luxury. I've always found GMC trucks/SUV's to be more handsome and have a little better interior than their Chevrolet twin.
Quote:
If GM made the Chevy look as good as the GMC I wouldn't mind if they dropped the brand. I have always prefered the GMC exterior over the Chevy. I didn't even look at the Silverados when I purchased my 2012 2500HD because I knew I wanted the GMC styling.
Quote:
Lots of people miss Oldsmobile, and GM misses those customers. GM assumed they could steer those customers into Buicks or Saturns, but most of them bought from a competitor. It wasn't cheap for GM to kill Olds because they had to compensate the dealers, and of course GM's huge dealer network is still too big.
Back to GMC, yes, they are all platform mates from other GM brands, but they sell. Would it be worth GM to spend billions of dollars to kill GMC when what they're doing now nets them a couple hundred thousand sales every year? If making dies to build unique Sierra hoods, beds, fenders, and bumpers costs billions of dollars and marketing GMC costs hundreds of millions then maybe it would be worth it to kill the brand if sales get to be that bad, but right now I'm not so sure. I just don't think that every consumer who opts to buy a GMC would automatically line up for a Chevy if the GMC counterpart was no more.
In football there's a saying, "never take points off the board." GMC has the customers, and yes, those customers are dwindling, as they are all across the automotive market, but if they kill the brand they may or may not get them back.
Quote:
Here Here!!! You've hit it on the mark for me, I not an automatic Chevy buyer if GM axes GMC. I've always been drawn to the GMC styling over the Chevy and to this day I don't care for the styling of the Chevy. If anything I would rather see GM keep the GMC P/U and stop making the Chevy brand of all the other truck vehicles and let GMC stay around.

As stated earlier, if the cost to make the trucks different is that extreme then it must be considered, but they also need to keep in mind the amount of customers who'll go elsewhere.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a GMC for years to come.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #128
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
i don't care for either truck... they basically upgraded the interior and threw on some new lights and bumpers... i personally wouldn't buy one until they changed the entire body style from chassis on up... the GMC does look better than the Chevy, as others have mentioned.. obviously they copied some stuff from Ford, but the center stack was a bad decision.. Ford has a much better style and it was just a simple upgrade, not a major release.. GM needs to go back to the drawing board with design and really hit it out the park.. btw they need to drop the 4.3 already, come out with a twin turbo v6 like Ford and Dodge and capture some loyal fans in the truck market
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #129
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
i don't care for either truck... they basically upgraded the interior and threw on some new lights and bumpers... i personally wouldn't buy one until they changed the entire body style from chassis on up... the GMC does look better than the Chevy, as others have mentioned.. obviously they copied some stuff from Ford, but the center stack was a bad decision.. Ford has a much better style and it was just a simple upgrade, not a major release.. GM needs to go back to the drawing board with design and really hit it out the park.. btw they need to drop the 4.3 already, come out with a twin turbo v6 like Ford and Dodge and capture some loyal fans in the truck market

The GMT-900s and K2XXs share NO body panels. There really is not much you can do with truck design. The F-series has had the same basic design for years now, particularly the Super Duties.

The 4.3L is a BRAND NEW engine based on the new Gen V V8s.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #130
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Just waiting on word of when I can place my order for a 2014 GMC Sierra regular cab short bed 2wd with the 6.2l.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #131
King T

Dodge Ram 1500 interior

F-150 interior

2014 GMC Sierra interior
Old 12-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #132
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by King T View Post
Dodge Ram 1500 interior

F-150 interior

2014 GMC Sierra interior
wow the sierra is outclassed
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #133
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
I must be one of the few that prefers the looks of the Chevy over the GMC. With new drivetrains and many utility improvements I would say this is definitely a substantial upgrade. If I was in the market for a truck, a blue regular cab 4WD with the 5.3L would be perfect for my needs. Getting a 1LE first, but a new silverado would be a great replacement for my fourth gen Camaro that I plan on daily driving till it dies, though I will undoubtedly be tempted by the 6th gen Camaro by that time.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #134
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Sun View Post
It depends on what trim level each one of those is.....
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #135
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

The GMT-900s and K2XXs share NO body panels. There really is not much you can do with truck design. The F-series has had the same basic design for years now, particularly the Super Duties.

The 4.3L is a BRAND NEW engine based on the new Gen V V8s.
And in addition to the new body work, the underlying chassis has been redone too. And all 3 engines will be brand new, not just the 4.3. If that doesn't qualify it as a chassis up redesign, I don't know what would.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #136
King T

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Sun View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
It depends on what trim level each one of those is.....
True. I couldn't find a "stock" photo for all 3, I mostly just posted them to show the 3 interiors. The Ram picture is from a Laramie edition and the F-150 is the FX4 I think.

We have seen any optional interiors on the Silverado/Sierra yet. I'm sure they'll have something on par with the Big Horn edition, Etc..
Old 12-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #137
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
My skills are a little lacking.
Attached Images

shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #138
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/13/p...nd-gmc-sierra/

Bunch of live photos there.

Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab and Silverado 1500 LTZ Extended Cab Z71.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #139
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Are still going to have that nasty rake to them on the 1500 series. The Chevy 4x4 in the last several years look like 2wd because of that nasty rake.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #140
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by King T View Post
True. I couldn't find a "stock" photo for all 3, I mostly just posted them to show the 3 interiors. The Ram picture is from a Laramie edition and the F-150 is the FX4 I think.

We have seen any optional interiors on the Silverado/Sierra yet. I'm sure they'll have something on par with the Big Horn edition, Etc..
That ford interior is from a 2013 Lariat. (lariat =wood grain, fx4 is the carbon fiberish look)

Good comparison pics though.

No floor shift for GMC or Chevy this go around?
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote