Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #43
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alot9439 View Post
back in 1993 at the age of 1 ......I will stop

wonderful stories, you guys got to have more fun on the road
When you were born I was enjoying my newfound freedom, legally going to bars.
It's weird what they seemed like then as compared to how I see them today.

I still have all kinds of fun on the road, just can't post about it here.
Well just yesterday I was doing a little of this and this over there, and this dude on a lawnmower pulled out in front of me....good thing for Brembos.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #44
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carls2SS View Post
And The best for last!... Hardtops! no B-pillar!!.....if you have not seen the look or ridden in a 2dr hardtop with all four windows down you need to get an oldie and enjoy....Mercedes is the only one I know that now makes a hardtop, e-550 coupe i think..

I can remember 29.9 cents for Sunoco 260
Full up on a Friday night go to "connecting Higway" ( New York- google it!)
And go street racing . No road rage, lots of cars & girls who
Liked hot cars, the memories
yep, lot of fun. Still fun today with the return of real h/p
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #45
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Late 50's here. We grew up in the best time ever. (other than the VN war), we had the coolest muscle cars ever. Monty Pythons flying circus, Girls threw away their bra's, wore mini skirts, no aids's, cops did not know what pot smoke smelled like, and horsepower was king no matter what manufacturer (even Rambler!).

We could mark off 1/4 mile in the country on a new paved road and ahave a race for a hour or more before any cars came buy and someone called cops, and then the cops just sent us on our way. We could gather at the lake and party and not be harassed as long as there was an adult for the beer, to go back would be so cool. My father always had the latest muscle car (60's vettes, 67 GT500, 69 1/2 Trans Am, 70 challenger, and then I got my license and blew up one and from then on he only had big caddies and chryslers. My forst car I paid $15 for a one owner 2 door 57 210 straight 6 car kept like new from an old lady in the neighbor hood....ahhhhhh, the good old days.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #46
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I am so much younger than what you were looking for here, but yes the good ole days. I'm on the last edge of when cars were just plain cheaper because they were simpler. I guess my first new car had some kind of ABS, but no air bag. AM/FM cassette. Even at that point a good time of hanging out was finding a parking lot, maybe outside a burger joint, and everyone just pull their cars up, sit there and smoke cigarettes. Yeah we all smoked cigarettes coming up.

A guy mentioned no road rage, well we didn't shoot or stab each other either. I got into a couple of fights along the way, but that's all they were, fist fights. Frankly when it was over it was over, didn't have to worry about the guy shooting up your house or whatever.

Got into one little scuff at school and the principal made us shake hands, we still got suspended, but when we came back it was no big deal between us. I wonder if authorities care to make people shake hands anymore. I bet they don't.
2012-1822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #47
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
Got into one little scuff at school and the principal made us shake hands, we still got suspended, but when we came back it was no big deal between us. I wonder if authorities care to make people shake hands anymore. I bet they don't.

Usually it was no big deal after who could whip who was established, respect was created and it was all done.

Seldom were there rematches or revenge.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #48
JLBIII

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS
Premium gas 36 cents a gallon and am radio. 8 tracks were just coming out.
JLBIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #49
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I'm definately the oldest here. 70's & 80's is like last thursday for me- lol.
Graduated HS in '61. Worked summers and then full time at Whipple Pontiac in Hempsead L.I in the Service & parts depts. I saw the great '61 Catalina bubbletops and the first '62 grand prix's come off the car carriers. I then worked full time at several Chevrolet & Pontiac dealers until 1965. In '64 the GTO's arrived but my buddies and I always drove full sized cars: Impalas, Catalinas, Grand Prix's plus Vettes. The hottest cars we owned were always 4 speed Chev SS or 3 speed column shift Impalas or Catalina coupes or convertibles. Thats right, the coolest guys ordered new cars with column shifts. 55-57 Chevys were favorite used cars. I owned several 58 Bel Airs and Impalas including the exact white American Grafitti Impala with 3 on the tree, red roll & pleated- Full custom. Also a favorite was a black '59 Biscayne coupe with a 283 Fulie and again 3 speed column shift. My buddies and I raced several Chevys at Westhampton and Islip raceways on L.I. Many many more cars plus my favorite, my '64 Vette silver blue coupe- 300, 4 speed with a 308 rear. That car could reach 80+ in 3rd gear without straining. Also street raced all over including famous Cross Bay Blvd by Kennedy Airport. On another note, If you got stopped for DUI- The cops drove you home. Definately the era to grow up in. Ok i'll stop now but could go on & on.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #50
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

You could quit your job, go right across the street and have a new one all in the same day.

Cars were stinky, polluted like crazy. There would be smoke clouds at stoplights. There were no interstate highways and people would dump used motor oil into the ground.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #51
JAX CAMARO

Drives: orange 2011 2SS/RS
My first Car was a 67 Chevy Malibu Aqua Blue with a Black rag top and just a 283 in it with headers and all the goodies and at 16 it was totally bad ass. I then graduated to a 70 Chevelle SS with a 396 in it and we street raced almost daily and I finally blew the 396 and then then had a 454 built that was a dream as far as when you hit it the car lunged forward and you went straight back in your seat and it was just crazy and it makes me still think about getting another one. Oh by the way I sold that car in 1981 when I was getting ready to get married to my wife and we just celebrated our 32nd anniversary and my 2011 Camaro SS was part of the celebration. The one other thing was back in the mid seventies I worked with a few vets from WW2 and back in the day these guys could name any and every car that drove up the street and even for my age group from the 60's and 70's you could do the same but today forget it !
ARH 1 7/8" Headers W/HFC, GM Performance Exhaust / K&N Typhoon CAI, Comp Custom Grind Dominator 3 Cam, Pioneer Dual Valve Springs, Trickflow Push rods, IWIS Timing Chain, Rapid Motorsports Tune, 496 RWHP
JAX CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #52
BeachBum

Drives: 2012 (ZL-1) #468
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
I'm definately the oldest here. 70's & 80's is like last thursday for me- lol.
Graduated HS in '61. Worked summers and then full time at Whipple Pontiac in Hempsead L.I in the Service & parts depts. I saw the great '61 Catalina bubbletops and the first '62 grand prix's come off the car carriers. I then worked full time at several Chevrolet & Pontiac dealers until 1965. In '64 the GTO's arrived but my buddies and I always drove full sized cars: Impalas, Catalinas, Grand Prix's plus Vettes. The hottest cars we owned were always 4 speed Chev SS or 3 speed column shift Impalas or Catalina coupes or convertibles. Thats right, the coolest guys ordered new cars with column shifts. 55-57 Chevys were favorite used cars. I owned several 58 Bel Airs and Impalas including the exact white American Grafitti Impala with 3 on the tree, red roll & pleated- Full custom. Also a favorite was a black '59 Biscayne coupe with a 283 Fulie and again 3 speed column shift. My buddies and I raced several Chevys at Westhampton and Islip raceways on L.I. Many many more cars plus my favorite, my '64 Vette silver blue coupe- 300, 4 speed with a 308 rear. That car could reach 80+ in 3rd gear without straining. Also street raced all over including famous Cross Bay Blvd by Kennedy Airport. On another note, If you got stopped for DUI- The cops drove you home. Definately the era to grow up in. Ok i'll stop now but could go on & on.
Right There With You - I Too Graduated In 1961 - Boy !!! Those Were The Days To Grow Up In - Had A 1957 Belair Chevy Black Two-Door Hardtop With Dual Quads And (3) On The Tree - Worked At Bert's Fina Gas And Pumped Gas In St.Louis Back In The day For 14.9 A Gallon - You Could Come In Buy A Buck's Worth Of Gas And Get Your Water,Oil, And Tires Checked Along With Me Cleaning Your Windshield

Kept That 1957 Chevy Until 1963 And Took Delivery Of The First 1963 Chevrolet Impala Super Sport "409" To Come Off The St.Louis Assembly Line - Ordered Her In Ermine White With Black Buckets - 425 Horsepower With Dual Quads Again - She Also Had Vibersonic Sound And A 45 Record Changer In Her - Never Have Seen Another One Like Her To This day

Back In 1963 - Friday Night Was Date Night - Saturday Night Was Race Night - Spend All Day Saturday Tuning Her Up For The Saturday Night Races - Back Then We Would Hang At The Local Spot - "Wild's" Palace Of Poison Drive Thru - Around Midnight We Would Go Across J.B. Bridge Into Illinois And Turn Around And Race Back Across The Bridge In To St.Louis - Middle Of The Bridge Was The Dividing Point Between The States - Illinois State Troopers Would Stop At Middle Point If They Couldn't Catch Us - I Use To Make About $500.00 On A Saturday Night Racing

Today At 70, I'm Driving A 2012 Camaro (ZL-1) Rally Yellow (6) Speed Manuel - With Some Mods She's Pushing 700 Horses - It's Like Being A Kid Again - That's My Story As I'm Still Pulling Gears And Barking Tires
Old 04-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #53
myold88

^^^^ So much alike BeachBum: My buddy Rich ordered a new '63 SS conv like yours. 409, 425 HP, 4 speed but black/black with white conv top. That SS was the fastest thing around even at the track. My first new car was a '64 Impala SS conv. So many cars, so many girls and America was America if you get my drift. Jobs were anywhere you wanted to work even without college. With a degree though you would send out 6 resumes and get 4-5 offers. Young guys have no idea whats happened to this country.
(sorry no plitics)
Old 04-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #54
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Wow, fun thread. I got the drivers license at 14 just before it went up to 16. All it took was drivers ed and a test at the DPS. First good car was a 1963 Impala SS convertible with a 327. Looked like an aircraft carrier when the top was down, it was so big. Gas was usually around 32 to 34 cents and sometimes in the low 20s during the gas wars. You could get a 6 pack of beer (Lone Star) for $1.00. Lots of fun cruising in those days.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #55
myold88

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
Wow, fun thread. I got the drivers license at 14 just before it went up to 16. All it took was drivers ed and a test at the DPS. First good car was a 1963 Impala SS convertible with a 327. Looked like an aircraft carrier when the top was down, it was so big. Gas was usually around 32 to 34 cents and sometimes in the low 20s during the gas wars. You could get a 6 pack of beer (Lone Star) for $1.00. Lots of fun cruising in those days.
I had lots of convertibles including a straight '63 red Impala with a 327/auto. Drove that car on vacation to Long Beach Calif from NY and back with the top down both ways in 1965. Interstates were then being built (America had money/no welfare then) and you had to get on and off the interstates once in awhile as they were being built in small sections. No credit cards then either. We had a canvas water bottle on the front bumper for the desert crossing . Did it all in 2 weeks and $300.00 cash. Got a speeding ticket on the way back in some backwater Ohio town- Spotter plane got 6 or 7 of us and the cops drove all of us right to the Justice of the Peace- $15.00 fine as I remember. Also took the new '64 SS conv out to Dayton and back in one week in '64, top down all the way. Remember, A/C was a rare almost unheard of accessory back then.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #56
BeachBum

Drives: 2012 (ZL-1) #468
The 50's & 60's Sure Were The Day's - We All Had Respect For Each Others Cars - Didn't Make Any Difference What Brand Or Model - We all Watched Out For Each Other Like A Brotherhood
Attached Images