Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-29-2015, 11:49 PM   #1
shaggy2002

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS w RS 1LE
35K on my 1LE and Brakes are squeeling

I got 35K on my 13 1LE and the brakes are squeeling. How many miles have people gotten on theirs? I am going to take the tires off tomorrow to take a look. I also hear a squeeling noise just when I drive and if I tap the brakes it goes away.

I see another thread about people who are replacing their rotors and calipers but they track their cars. I don't track mine but I am a late braker even though I will downshift as well. I am looking to see what kinds of pads people are going to when they replace their originals. I also want to know what people are buying if they must replace their rotors. Thoughts/suggestions?
shaggy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:04 AM   #2
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
What do you mean by squealing? How and when does it occur? Which wheel or wheels is making the sound? How fast (or slow) are you going when the sequel emits?

-CRT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:05 AM   #3
CrystalRedTintcoat

Also, I assume you know about and are vested in caliper wear indicators. Yah?

-CRT

Old 08-30-2015, 12:23 AM   #4
shaggy2002

It squeaks when braking and I assume that is the wear indicators. It isn't everytime I hit the brakes but probably 50-60% of the time.

However I notice the lighter sounding squeal when I am driving about 30 mph in my neighbor hood when I am not pressing the brakes. I tap the brakes it goes away for a few seconds then comes back.

I will know more tomorrow when I take the wheels off and get a look. But I am trying to prepare myself on what pads I should buy as I suspect I need them.

Not sure what you mean in vested in caliper wear indicators. My brake setup is how it came from the factory. I am not very good mechanically. I know how to do a brake job, I just don't know what I will looking at if there is something else making the squeal other than the wear indicators. I am taking it over to my friends house and he is a lot more mechanical than I am.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:38 AM   #5
CrystalRedTintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy2002 View Post
It squeaks when braking and I assume that is the wear indicators. It isn't everytime I hit the brakes but probably 50-60% of the time.
Not enough to gone on, but read on...

Quote:
However I notice the lighter sounding squeal when I am driving about 30 mph in my neighbor hood when I am not pressing the brakes. I tap the brakes it goes away for a few seconds then comes back.
When NOT pressing the break this is the usually the wear indicators. Perhaps it's time to change your pads. Having said that I have had noise from the front right pad and wheel for a long time and this had nothing to do with wear. For some reason that wheel made a lot of noise around 30 mph and tapping the brakes would eliminate the sound.

Quote:
I will know more tomorrow when I take the wheels off and get a look. But I am trying to prepare myself on what pads I should buy as I suspect I need them.
Raise the car and spin the front wheels. You may hear the sound and be able to see the wear indicators touching the rotors.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean in vested in caliper wear indicators. My brake setup is how it came from the factory. I am not very good mechanically. I know how to do a brake job, I just don't know what I will looking at if there is something else making the squeal other than the wear indicators. I am taking it over to my friends house and he is a lot more mechanical than I am.
Typo. I was using my iPad and meant to write "experienced" but the iOS correction chose that word. Sorry.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:14 AM   #6
shaggy2002

Thanks for the assistance Crystal Red Tintcoat. I will report back tomorrow with what we find. Have you had to replace your brake pads yet?
Old 08-30-2015, 04:05 AM   #7
CrystalRedTintcoat

Yes but I track the car.

-CRT

Old 08-30-2015, 05:42 AM   #8
PwrCrusr

Drives: 2014 1LE
Mine has 11k miles and two track days on it. I've had that same squeal at around 30-35 mph. It's a light squeal that a quick tap of the brakes will quite down for a few seconds and then it comes back. I first noticed it after my first track day at around 4k miles maybe. Something else that bothers me is that it changes pitch or comes and goes with pressure on the steering wheel - give it a nudge left or right and it will change or quit for a second. May take it in to have it looked at, but I'd be interested in what you find.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:59 AM   #9
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
So take a flashlight and look at your brake pads to check how much life your pads have left if you're concerned about it

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:54 AM   #10
shaggy2002

Pulled the front tires an I have plenty of pad left and the wear indicators are not touching. However my buddy and I think the rotors are slightly warped. I definitely need to get them turned so I might as well get new pads at the same time. I also want to price new rotors all together. Anyone have some suggestions for rotor/pad combos?

Old 08-30-2015, 12:07 PM   #11
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
The squealing comes from the backing plates on the pads making metal to metal contact with the caliper. You'll need to get some brake pad lube, remove the pads/calipers and apply the lube to the pad backing plate wherever you see metal to metal contact. This contact is usually on the ends of the plates and where the pistons push against the plate when the brakes are applied.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:08 PM   #12
PwrCrusr

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph1LE View Post
So take a flashlight and look at your brake pads to check how much life your pads have left if you're concerned about it
At 11k miles, and only two track days, I don't think my issues are pad wear related. And if the OP's pads are gone at 35k with no tracking I'd be surprised, that's why I'm interested to see what he finds out. CRT's second comment about a sound that had nothing to do with wear is what I'm betting on - just don't know what it is yet...
Old 08-30-2015, 12:13 PM   #13
CRF8
Scenic City Camaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL-1 /1974 Firebird 400
"The squealing comes from the backing plates on the pads making metal to metal contact with the caliper. You'll need to get some brake pad lube, remove the pads/calipers and apply the lube to the pad backing plate wherever you see metal to metal contact. "

Back in the 1970s when I was a mechanics assistant, this was a big issue. Disc brakes were somewhat new. We had a blue spray we applied as hworth18 says.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #14
shaggy2002

Pwrcrusr.....yes I verified I still have plenty of pads left. I am going to check what hworth18 said, but when I spin the wheel I can tell the rotors are slightly warped because the wheel gets easier to spin and then tougher. You can also tell by tell by the light drag noise as the wheel rotates it gets louder than goes away.