Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 08-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #29
mstrfdsstr

Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAMARO
ya know it wasnt so bad be fore moding but now it doesnt hook at all
Old 08-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #30
stretchfe

Drives: 2SS/RS Black/Orange
Do you ever skip gears ie., 1-2, 2-4 when you run at a track?
stretchfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #31
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
Never did that

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchfe View Post
Do you ever skip gears ie., 1-2, 2-4 when you run at a track?
No I haven't. I would think Any gain would be lost because of the time it takes to go into 4th from 2nd.
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #32
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Driving around the water box will help a LOT with street tires. The water gets in the tread and makes the launch off the line suck as the tires will have a puddle beneath them at the starting line.

Spin the tires (burnout) to clean them off. It's not going to matter how long you do your burnout with the street tires. I would recommend a short burnout 3 seconds or less unless you want to replace the rear tires really quickly.

With Drag slicks, you do the burnout to get some heat into the tire and clean them. A longer burnout makes all the difference with slicks - the rubber will get real gummy on a slick after the burnout and will help to hook up the car.

You will want the lowest possible rpm that allows the tires to grab. I am guessing, but I would say somewhere around 1500 rpm or so and roll into the throttle after letting the clutch out to allow the tires to grab. I don't have my camaro yet - and mine won't be stock from the start, so my launch will be different anyway.

As far as Traction control, put the car into Competitive mode. this turns off traction control but keeps the active handling and ABS on in case you get out of control, it will save you from hitting the wall.

The above worked pretty well with my 2005 Corvette. I don't remember the times that car ran, but they were decent.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #33
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM10 View Post
Times with launch control?
I don't have my Camaro yet, so I am basing my post from my 2005 Corvette and my other car - a 900 HP Super Stock Drag car.

The corvette does not have Launch control. I did watch the video on it that is in a different thread about LC - Everyone needs to watch that! it's pretty hilarious to see and hear the commentary from the GM designers along with the Video's of the burnouts!

Launch control @4200 is for doing long smokey burnouts and leaving your tire rubber in long black marks down the road. It will help overcome a limitation with the independant rear suspension (bad wheelhop that was breaking LOTS of parts). I overcame the wheelhop issue on the 2005 corvette by starting out in second gear and overpowering the rear tires - keeping the RPM's below the redline (4200 would have been optimum). This was not at the Dragstrip - This was doing burnouts showing off and having fun. Again, watch the video on LC in another thread.

Competitive mode (different from launch control) turns off traction control but keeps the active handling and ABS on, saving you from hitting the wall if you get out of shape.

I hope these 2 modes are different settings on the Camaro and the Corvette that can be selectively set - again, I don't have my camaro yet, and I haven't read the Camaro Owner's Manual. The Corvette had Competition mode but did NOT have Launch Control mode - it's a new feature.

Every track is different, as is the track temp, day or night, humidity, etc. You will need to experiment and change the RPM's to find the optimum launch point.

Best launch (anywhere) will be with ~15% wheelspin off the line.

You don't want the engine to bog when letting out the clutch - if it does, the RPM's are too low.

Launching at 3000 RPM is too high - anything higher is fun, but going to give you a LOT of tire smoke and a slower time. 3000 RPM's would work at an NHRA sanctioned national event as the track is like GLUE. That RPM won't work on Wed or Friday night "run what you brung" events. Again, you want 15% wheelspin. 3000 or higher is fine with Drag slicks - beware - this can snap parts from the sudden shock of a good hookup.

Launching at 1500 - 2000 should be about right for most instances. slipping the clutch helps, but clutch life will be impacted - I don't recommend that. It will cause Bluing on the flywheel and clutch face and cause heat cracks - you will throw the parts away and have to replace them. If you smoke the clutch instead of moving the car, you may as well change the clutch and flywheel at that point, and it's going to be expensive for just the parts.

Hope this info helps anyone get an awesome launch!
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #34
nuptualnemesis
NuptualNemesis

Drives: Silver 1SS M6 - 480hp 11.57/120.79
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom692010 View Post
Are you saying to only run the rpm's up to 3500/4000 for every gear or just off the line. Every place I've gone to has said run the rpm's up to just below the rev limiter,approximately 6000>6600
No launch between 2,500 and 3,000 rpm and keep rpm below 4,000 while tires are spinning. Floor it once they hook up and shift around 6,400 rpm, just below the rev limiter.
nuptualnemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:48 PM   #35
Ltdodge

Drives: 2008 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuptualnemesis View Post
No launch between 2,500 and 3,000 rpm and keep rpm below 4,000 while tires are spinning. Floor it once they hook up and shift around 6,400 rpm, just below the rev limiter.
i haven't gone to the track but have practiced in the neighborhood and it seems like 2600 rpms gets a good jump with minimal spin.... anbd no bogging out

i also lift the clutch just before engaging and when i am ready to launch i just take my foot out...
Old 09-18-2010, 12:47 PM   #36
jakebrake

Drives: 2010 2ss RS M6 Transformers edition
My biggest question is what mode to use!do I put n comp mode (lc), tc off or hold down button until all is off?as far as time and safety?I want to try with everything off due to tq management and boging but am worried about if it will take off side ways or not or comprimise me wrecking!
jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote