Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-07-2015, 03:50 PM   #1
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Concept Camaro Afterburners On The Side Burner?

Yes indeed, some may call this topic passé, forever destined for the dust bin, but I'm going to bring this up from the dead if you will, for the sake of new 2nd and future Gen5 owners, who are now entering the lighting aftermarket for the first time.

As far as I'm concerned, this tale never did happen. Even if the likes like 2SSRS(Ofer) and SJM(Tony), produced and sold a very limited number of the Concept Afterburner look taillights in the past.

Considering that the likes of Technostalgia (whom I'm currently using and wish to part with), and Oracle for that matter, who seem to have a monopoly in the rear LED taillight game (but a totally different, modern, LED take on the afterburner look), I cannot help but wonder, if anyone has, or ever will, enter the 2010-2013 Gen5 tail light game as a fresh new face?

I find it somewhat strange that more vendors were not involved in this, and there still doesn't seem to be any. I mean, surely, with the right quality and price, there is still potential to move these puppies by a significant amount? Maybe I'm wrong, and there isn't a market to make this all worthwhile, but I see it as being potentially the other way around, I truly do.

I mean, the other day, as a buddy of mine saw my frustration and desperation to fix my Technostagia unit with 6 burnt out LED's on the already_repaired_afterburner_ring_so_that_I_could_ get_my_car_back_on_the_road, he asked me,

"Why don't you buy something else?"

"Because there isn't anything else, these guys have a monopoly of sorts" I retorted back

He looked and as if that just wasn't possible at all.

Last edited by Camaro Dude; 05-18-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:02 PM   #2
UF4LIFE102SS
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 2010 2 SS
I doubt anybody else will get in on it. I like my SJM setup!
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
Camaro Dude

^^^^^^^^^I hate you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^

LOL

Just kidding of course, buddy your ride is sweet !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UF4LIFE102SS View Post
I doubt anybody else will get in on it. I like my SJM setup!
But WHY do you doubt it?
Old 09-07-2015, 05:01 PM   #4
yescats

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS L99 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Yes indeed, some may call this topic passé, forever destined for the dust bin, but I'm going to bring this up from the dead if you will, for the sake of new 2nd and future Gen5 owners, who are now entering the lighting aftermarket for the first time.

As far as I'm concerned, this tale never did happen. Even if the likes like 2SSRS(Ofer) and SJM(Tony), produced and sold a very limited number of the Concept Afterburner look taillights in the past.

Considering that the likes of Technostalgia (whom I'm currently using and wish to part with), and Oracle for that matter, who seem to have a monopoly in the rear LED taillight game (but a totally different, modern, LED take on the afterburner look), I cannot help but wonder, if anyone has, or ever will, enter the 2010-2013 Gen5 tail light game as a fresh new face?

I find it somewhat strange that more vendors were not involved in this, and there still doesn't seem to be any. I mean, surely, with the right quality and price, there is still potential to move these puppies by a significant amount? Maybe I'm wrong, and there isn't a market to make this all worthwhile, but I see it as being potentially the other way around, I truly do.

I mean, the other day, as a buddy of mine saw my frustration and desperation to fix my Technostagia unit with 6 burnt out LED's on the already_repaired_afterburner_ring_so_that_I_could_ get_my_car_back_on_the_road, he asked me,

"Because there isn't anything else, these guys have a monopoly of sorts" I retorted back

Funny finding this new thread. Thanks. Just today I stumbled across those Technostalgia lights. I showed them to my wife and she thought they were tacky and juvenile. I felt someone could do better too. There's no reason the whole light could be like a billboard LED screen and we could digitally feed all sorts of patterns to it. The Technostalgia has only a few rows of large LEDs. I'm sure they did what they could to keep it under $400 but I'd have no problem paying twice as much if it were really well done, programmable and better made.
yescats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:17 PM   #5
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
I'd still like this. Anyone ever get a good look at the concept car's taillights and see how the effect was created?
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:32 PM   #6
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
I'd still like this. Anyone ever get a good look at the concept car's taillights and see how the effect was created?
2SSRS did back in the day, here are some vids,

http://youtu.be/jawvgRUJ4lA

http://youtu.be/r3i9saCfeQg

http://youtu.be/jLIgQMdqlWk

http://youtu.be/b2HselFP7kc

http://youtu.be/kc97pnfaywQ

http://youtu.be/YeO-C0waymk

here is where it all began http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=56497&page=6

There is a DIY if you are up to this labour intrusive task as well.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:57 PM   #7
ZLWonton

Drives: 2014 ZL1 BRM
why not take your stock tail lights, crack them open with a dremel, and do this mod yourself? Its easy and cheap!
ZLWonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:11 AM   #8
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanytos View Post
why not take your stock tail lights, crack them open with a dremel, and do this mod yourself? Its easy and cheap!
Easy?! Not too sure about that one, but I won't insist.

Time cunsuming? Looking at the DIY, 100% guaranteed

I sold my OEM '13 rear tails, yes I regret it

Even if I did get good coin for them, I totally regret that move.

Now you see the bind I'm in. Time for a new move.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:05 AM   #9
yescats

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS L99 Vert
I'm talking about maybe using something like this. They have high intensity LED screens for billboards but nothing small in size.

yescats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #10
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
The effect is all done by back lighting, but to do it right its a lot of work, you need to make a housing in the main housing.

The new housing needs to take a lot of heat too, the brakes bulb gets hot and in time can melt any plastic, we dont make it out of plastic, we make it out of fiberglass, so now you need to make molds, its all a lot of fun but if you count the Hr we have in 1 of the 4 tail lights , we spend 6 Hr per light, not worth the time to make.

Thats why the cost so much and most members want the flash not the Concept tail light thats why we no longer make them.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #11
ZLWonton

Drives: 2014 ZL1 BRM
Quote:
Easy?! Not too sure about that one, but I won't insist.

Time cunsuming? Looking at the DIY, 100% guaranteed

I sold my OEM '13 rear tails, yes I regret it

Even if I did get good coin for them, I totally regret that move.

Now you see the bind I'm in. Time for a new move.
All it takes is a dremel and some clear silicone to cut and reseal the tail lights. I bought afterburner rings off amazon for $50. If you're handy with tools and confident in your DIY skills, this is not a difficult task
ZLWonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #12
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
I'd prefer these to the techno's. Is this or is it not dead? I never found a conclusion in the linked threads. I read through 20 pages and saw a guy in Germany produced a really nice version. Did anyone on here ever replicate that or buy any from him? His links didn't seem to work for me.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #13
BlackSmoke

Drives: 2013 Black SS 1LE
Quote:

I have shared your same interest in this area of mods. I have wondered why there are not more manufacturers jumping in this window of opportunity. Perhaps not even a manufacturer but a individual in his home garage putting together "the next big thing".

Aftermarket lighting is a huge area of demand. Yet only a handful are out there. I knew right away I wanted change from the stock tail lights so after much hesitation I braved the task of going with the Oracle afterburners with the inline sequential add on. I was not a bit confident with the idea of literally cutting through the seals of my stock tail lights but with a couple of shaking hands I did it.... With all 4 lights cut open like a watermelon I installed the afterburners (ccfl tubes)... It wasn't a pretty cut at all but the "damage" was done. Once installed back on to the car I took a sigh of relief then before I could exhale "Houston we have a problem".... Within 24 hours I went from all 4 burning correctly to only 3 burning correctly... You have to be kidding me.. No it was no joke I had 3 burning period...

The way I am if 3 are burning then there might as well be 0 burning. I just went in and by passed all 4 ballasts to the tubes because if they all are not ALL working again none will be working. All or nothing kind of thing you could say. Granted Phastik sent me a new tube for the bad one - that was no problem there. However the new tube to this day never made it in the tail light. I just didn't have it in me to cut into these lights yet again because I was not confident in my work for the long haul of these lights.

Technostalgia it was! But eh no time soon because these lights were back ordered with all vendors I contacted.. Thankfully my Camaro is not a daily driver so I would weather the storm on the wait. 5 weeks or so pass and they are in my hands. Installed them, loved them - real eye catchers! Well hmmm ummm..... "Houston we have a problem" I got moisture inside 1 light then 2, then all 4. What!? I talked to Todd at Technostalgia and as luck would have it I was a month out of warranty.... Go figure.... Long story short the seals were obviously bad allowing water inside the housings... Then the far left one is showing 3 or 4 LED's out.. Dark... Ugh... Frustrating indeed. I did my home work and ordered yet another set... I did and still do love the lights but this time around I would add more sealant on all 4... Let it properly cure before installing.

New set installed and very careful to not over tighten in fear of cracking the housings. So far all is well but it cost me countless hours and about $1000.00 for tail lights. 2 Technostalgia sets and the Oracle Afterburners.

I had already made up my mind that in the event this set fails I will be getting the Afterburners on GenDIY. I am with you though OP.... With today's technologies and the huge advancements made with lighting as a whole there has to be something coming by someone anyone???

The side note however is that more than likely this unknown garage designer/creator will be building the next big thing to fit 14 models and up leaving us 13 and below with the same few options we have grown use to...... BUT!! I could be wrong.. I was wrong once in the early 1980's I think it was...

It's a BIG money opportunity that's just sitting there.... Imagine the possibilities with LED screens .. The endless programming to meet the needs of anyone regardless of age, sex etc... Maybe the word "custom" is more fitting that with each end user they could be programmed to do whatever right? Maybe we are dreaming but hey that's just my 2 cents....
K & N Cold Air Intake, 25% window tint, 2 sets of 6000K LED fogs added, bow ties delete, Pypes catback mid exhaust, MGP Caliper covers, Spyder projection HID 6000K lighting with dual CCFL halos, Technostalgia Rapid Fire LED Tail Lights, blacked out rear bezels, Oracle Ghosted side marker lights, Platinum Ultra Rims, LED tag, dome, trunk lighting, Razzi Ground Effects, Billet Grille, Oracle Concept Mirrors, Eibach Pro Springs,
GM Strut Tower Brace and LED lit door sills.
BlackSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:34 AM   #14
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
I'd prefer these to the techno's. Is this or is it not dead? I never found a conclusion in the linked threads. I read through 20 pages and saw a guy in Germany produced a really nice version. Did anyone on here ever replicate that or buy any from him? His links didn't seem to work for me.
I recall this but never followed up.

The only way I think would be to google translate, then register-log-in into the German Camaro forum, and then PM him.

I kind of used to do this on German EBay, back when I owned German machinery and was heavily in the modding game. It worked out very well indeed!