Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 03:01 PM   #29
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
I just don't want to see any "tuner/ricer" Camaros that sound like lawnmowers.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:01 PM   #30
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
DerScotsman...that would've helped a bit in the beginning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyforlife View Post
i mean theres nothing wrong with four cylinders but i think it should be for the cobalts. i think that a a v-6 is fast and i have proof. my mom drives a 2002 pontiac grand am gt and it would smoke almost any v-8 car in town. so i dont have a problem with it, its just that change is good but i hate change. i hope ppl see the way i see things.
There's nothing in there about the 4 cyllinder replacing the V6...not the way I read it. But rather, to add the 4 to the lineup.

And all this Cobalt talk...Seriously, come on. The turbo Cobalt will probably still beat the ~260 horse V6 Camaro...so I don't see the point in that argument..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokn' View Post
i'm also kinda upset that gm just pretty much dropped the whole "we will be competitive to mustang prices." i just hope it's not too much.
He didn't completely drop it. He said it will be more, and that's nothing new. If you're thinking thousands more...your insane (and if that's the truth...well, so's GM.) But ~$1000 more for an EXTREMELY superior car. That's not unreasonable to me.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #31
B2E2RUN
Beer Run

Drives: '14 Sierra SLT All-Terrain
You also have to remember the fuel economy standard is headed north....4 banger camaro can help GM offset the 400+hp camaro, not to mention the new ZR1.....
Old 03-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #32
smokn'

Drives: Banana boat
who are they trying to appeal to? ricers? i think they need to rethink their target audience!
Old 03-19-2008, 03:12 PM   #33
MattG
Z/28 or Bust!

Drives: First Camaro: '69 Z28
Quote:
even though i am impressed with the 4 in the redline and gxp, it's against camaro tradition. i'm also kinda upset that gm just pretty much dropped the whole "we will be competitive to mustang prices." i just hope it's not too much. i agree with the majority, this is kinda rediculous.
Agreed on the pricing. I'm also not a huge fan of them considering the 4-cylinder, but it wouldn't be the first time a 4-cylinder was put in a Camaro.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:14 PM   #34
natedog2008

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 stg.2
Exclamation Hmm.

Yea this would be good you can definitely have a faster car if you mod out the 4cyl turbo exchange the turbo and put in a larger garret reach 700 hp or more but the only problem with all this is that the camaro is a muscle car always has been if you turn to an import engine it will just be very strange. maybe help though who knows well see how it all unravels
Old 03-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #35
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
At this point I'ld say I'll buy the 3.6 V6 model, but 260hp??? Come on, they can totally bring that number up to 300!!
Old 03-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #36
asrapid

Drives: Stratus
I don't see why is there such opssesion with number of cylinder for base camaro. The engine here is probably the one from pontiac solstice which isn't bad. I'm from Europe so maybe i don't get it but i think performance is what matter.V8 engine is usually found only in much more expensive car here..and more and more manufacturers is going with smaller displacement and smaller number of cylinder. Rumors are GM is planning on even smaller displacement V6 with TT and over 400 hp in future..this engine could easily step in instead of some V8 engines.
I don't see a problem here. Base version will be I4 with 260+(they could probably rise the power) v6 with 300+ and v8 with who knows how much HP. Who doesn't want I4 won't buy it..maybe this engine will go well on markets where are higher taxes on displacement and power (like in my country). Maybe this engine will be offered only on European market. And if i understood there is more tuners and tuning parts available for ecotec then for Gm V6 so maybe this will help.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #37
natedog2008

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 stg.2
Quote:
who are they trying to appeal to? ricers? i think they need to rethink their target audience!
why the people who they should target is the teen's and the younger audience mid 20's and with a v8 always nice you can never reach the fun of a turbo car just the force that it produces is fun and thats why they are looking at that plus there is so much more you can do as far as moding a turbo vehicle.
i know i need to use but i got the point through hopefully
Old 03-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #38
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Eurpean Connection?

Anyone else see the possibilities of a 4cyl Camaro selling well overseas?

In Europe taxes are based on engine displacement, so a Turbo 4 cyl would be in a cheaper tax bracket than a NA 6cyl. This means more sales, better prices, more money for USA!

Yeah us enthusiasts probably won't buy it, but hey, kids are making 400hp turbo 2.0L engines these days! If they want to use a Camaro as the basis for that kind of project, why not?

Sure a LS3 is great, but power is power and enthusiasm comes in many forms! If you don't like it, don't buy it!

~LSx
Old 03-19-2008, 03:21 PM   #39
smokn'

Drives: Banana boat
asrapid,
it is more than just performance. i know it kinda sounds stupid, but the camaro's v8 is an american tradition. a 6 could never replace it. and we all have to remember, while the camaro has had a 4 before, it just isn't a ricer and never will be.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #40
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
So, what is the point of putting the turbo-4 into a Camaro to deal with rising gas prices?

That engine in the Sky Redline and the Solstice GXP is rated at 19city/26(A)-28(M) mpg. The Sky and Solstice each weigh a hair under 3000lbs.

If the 3.6L DI V6 is rated at 16(M)-17(A)/25(M)-26(A) mpg in a nearly 3900lb Cadillac CTS, how in the heck do they intend to get the same turbo-4 gas mileage in the Camaro as they do in the Sky and Solstice? I highly doubt that they've managed to cut the Camaro's weight down to anywhere near the 3000lbs that the turbo-4 is currently pushing. More weight = more effort to move it = more gas used.

Oh, and on the premium pricing over the Mustang...Smart move Lutz! You just increased the collectability of the 5th gen Camaros since it will likely be a short production run, ala GTO, due to not hitting the forecasted sales numbers needed to support a long term investment.

Will I still buy a new Camaro? Absolutely!
Will I be willing to pay an extra premium over a now inflated MSRP? No way! I'll wait until they put them on year-end clearance due to slow sales.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #41
asrapid

Drives: Stratus
but i don't see that there is talk about I4 replacing V8..we are talking here about base engine. You guys didn't expect V8 to be base engine for camaro i hope?
I mean maybe I4 engines aren't so cool like V8 but selling them can help raise money for developing new V8 engines.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #42
Brent87LT1
Sarcastic

Drives: like a maniac!
Mustangs have survived since 1964.5. They offered 4cyl for many years.

And this was before we had the term: "ricers"

I do agree to let the 4 cyl. buyer get a Cobalt etc, and leave the Camaro for the premium car buyer (V6 & V8) only.

Closed Thread