Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #29
spd98

Drives: had a goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
So I wasted a bit of time today and started looking for problems with the GTO that would keep me from wanting to own one. There are a couple of really common issues, failure of the front struts on the 2006 model and front strut tire rubbing on both the 2005 and 2006 models.

Seems as though the front strut tire rub issue is a design flaw and there really isn't a good solution to preventing premature tire wear other than getting alignments done frequently. Unfortunately, the solution to preventing the tire rubbing on the struts is to adjust the alignment so far out that it causes premature wear on the inner 1/3 of the tread, leading to early tire replacement.

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Compl...05/Pontiac/GTO
http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Compl...06/Pontiac/GTO

Since I don't own stock in a tire company and really don't want to be replacing tires every 15-20k miles, I think I'll put the GTO further down my list of "would be fun to own but not as a daily driver". I'm sure the GTO would be a blast to drive but I just can't risk my life or my family's life by owning a car were tire blowouts are common due to excessive tire wear.

Thanks for the input from everyone. I really appreciate it!
Proper alignment will prevent strut rub. Also it was only on cars with the 17 in wheel's in factory sizes. I only had issues with rear tire wear! I gto about 30k out of my first set. If you worry about alignment go to a firestone store and get the lifetime one. It's about 150 bucks but you can bring it in every 3k!

The GTo was never crash tested as it was such a low volume car. We have a had get hit in our local group one was like mine and the other was head on (none of them our fault either) and we all walked away with relativly minor injuries.

I'll post a pick of mine tonight if I can find one. I hit an expidition doing 60!
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #30
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
I really don't like the GTO's...yea, they're sportin' the LS2, but that;s about it. It might sound kind of stupid, but I care a lot about how my vehicle looks on the outside, and the GTO is hideous compared to the Camaro. Plus, 300hp is no slouch, trust me.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:47 PM   #31
sykb47l

Drives: 73' VW Bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
Crap.. If I wasn't in Michigan I'd hop over and look at it. A V8 for under 20K would get me going for a long while until the Z28 comes out. It's also funny, because just recently the GTO has become the budget College GM performance car.

That is if you can find them.
Yep, i'll end up letting mine go for under $15,000.00 to get the quick sale.
sykb47l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:48 PM   #32
sykb47l

Drives: 73' VW Bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
Proper alignment will prevent strut rub. Also it was only on cars with the 17 in wheel's in factory sizes. I only had issues with rear tire wear! I gto about 30k out of my first set. If you worry about alignment go to a firestone store and get the lifetime one. It's about 150 bucks but you can bring it in every 3k!

The GTo was never crash tested as it was such a low volume car. We have a had get hit in our local group one was like mine and the other was head on (none of them our fault either) and we all walked away with relativly minor injuries.

I'll post a pick of mine tonight if I can find one. I hit an expidition doing 60!
I've had no strut rub....but I am always on top of the tire pressure.
sykb47l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:23 AM   #33
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykb47l View Post
Yep, i'll end up letting mine go for under $15,000.00 to get the quick sale.
Ouchkebibble.. and it's an m6. Hopefully, whoever purchases it will make it worth your while..
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:47 AM   #34
jesserayjames

Drives: Drives a 2012 IOM 2SS/RS 6M
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Since I'm in no rush to get a new car, I've been thinking about other options besides the Camaro. Right not, I've got my mind set to order a 1LT/RS with MT + C&C + BA Audio. MSRP is $27340. Getting an SS is not in my plans - I don't want to spend over $30k total, including TTL.

I was doing some reading on the 3.6DI engine/M6 combo that people are using in the CTS and was really disappointed with the gas mileage that people are reporting. The average MPG seems to be in the 19-21mpg combined range with maybe 25mpg highway. For that kind of fuel economy, I'm not really looking forward to dropping $27k only to get a v6 with so-so gas mileage.

I know that if you can keep your foot out of it, the final years of the 4th Gen Camaro will get mid to upper 20's on the freeway with the 6-speed manual trans. That got me looking into the '05-'06 LS2 GTO with the M6 trans. These guys are reporting similar MPG numbers as the CTS drivers but with significantly more HP/Torque/performance than I'm going to see with a 1LT Camaro. Now that the GTOs are hitting the used car lots, their prices are actually pretty reasonable - $18k to $20k for ones with 25k-36k miles.

Can someone please give me a good reason or two as to why I shouldn't just get a nice used GTO with 400hp and v8 rumble instead of a 1LT Camaro?

Thanks....
I'll give you one reason , looks, the GTO looks like every other car of today on the road. Why do you think they didn't sell, no class.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:37 AM   #35
spd98

Looks are very subjective. There is no other car in recent history that can compare with it in terms of quality, performance, and handling. People took a very negative opinion of the car (particularly a lot of f-body owners) so it was never really given a chance. For people that have virtually no seat time in the car to bash them is rediculouse.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #36
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
Looks are very subjective. There is no other car in recent history that can compare with it in terms of quality, performance, and handling. People took a very negative opinion of the car (particularly a lot of f-body owners) so it was never really given a chance. For people that have virtually no seat time in the car to bash them is [ridiculous].
Agreed, which is why I'm considering one if the price and income can work toward it and the Camaro has to be shelved. I mean, with just a suspension tweak and other ancillary mods..

I could easily take SS camaros to task. No skin off my nose.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #37
mitchell87

Drives: 2010 Silverado 6.2L
Many people did not like the GTO soley because of its looks. But the fact remains, big engine, rwd, nice interior etc etc. Actually many magazines loved it because for the price it was a huge thrill and it would run with or beat many beamers, mercedes etc.
mitchell87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #38
Dano

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
Well I have a 2004 Torrid Red M6 GTO and even though it is the 5.7 it is a great car. I use it as a daily driver and get 21 MPG in the city and 29 on HWY trips. I am still torn do I trade in my GTO or keep it. I am leaning towards keeping the car. That is how much I love it. It still gets lots of thumbs up's and it always puts a big grin on my face every time I drive it. The GTO is by far the best car I have ever owned and I have been through several Camaro's.

With that said the Camaro was desinged and built with the same HOLDEN quality that the GTO was. I expect them to be very similar in the inside. So as to compare the cars the only difference will be looks, used vs new, and V6 vs V8.

Let me cover the tire issue. My first set of tires lasted 21k miles becuse I didn't pay attention to them. I had the strut rub, but if you to www.ls1GTO.com you can find out about this. With a proper wheel alingment this is a non issue. I have 31k miles on this set of tires and they still look good. So this is a non issue with a proper alingment.

I for one love the looks of the GTO. I like the sleeper looks, and it kills the mustang guys knowing they need to put a lot of money into there cars just to keep up.

Get what you want and the one that will make you happy. Both are great cars and I am sure which ever one you choose you will be happy with it.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #39
roadtripper

Drives: 2006 GTO, 1974 Javelin
I'd have to say go for the GTO. It really is a great car. At first I was lukewarm to the new GTOs. But then my wife got herself a 2004 GTO M6 (GM was offering crazy inexpensive lease deals at the end of '04). When the lease was up, we turned it in, but I just had to get us another one - we got 2006 GTO M6. I flew out of state to pick it up, then drove thru the night to get back home - awesome roadtrip! We have 15K miles on the car and not one problem and no tire/strut issues. One could get an extended warranty at time of purchase for peace of mind. Before deciding against a GTO, I'd try to give one a test drive. Perhaps the GTO could ease a wait for a Camaro SS later on down the road?
Either way 1LT/RS or GTO, no bad choice here.
roadtripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #40
Redwolf20

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Only thing that turned me off about the GTO was the looks. Everything else on it was great including that engine.

It reminds me of being a wolf in sheeps clothing

By the time I started getting used to its looks, the Camaro concept came out and I got side-tracked
Redwolf20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:09 AM   #41
spd98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post

With that said the Camaro was desinged and built with the same HOLDEN quality that the GTO was. I expect them to be very similar in the inside. So as to compare the cars the only difference will be looks, used vs new, and V6 vs V8.

I think your reading a lot in this. The Camaro was NOT completely designed by holden. The Zeta platform was. There is still a big question as to what type of build quality will be instilled into the Camaro. Is it like the f-body or the GTO? Only time will tell.