Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
GTO or 1LT/RS?

Since I'm in no rush to get a new car, I've been thinking about other options besides the Camaro. Right not, I've got my mind set to order a 1LT/RS with MT + C&C + BA Audio. MSRP is $27340. Getting an SS is not in my plans - I don't want to spend over $30k total, including TTL.

I was doing some reading on the 3.6DI engine/M6 combo that people are using in the CTS and was really disappointed with the gas mileage that people are reporting. The average MPG seems to be in the 19-21mpg combined range with maybe 25mpg highway. For that kind of fuel economy, I'm not really looking forward to dropping $27k only to get a v6 with so-so gas mileage.

I know that if you can keep your foot out of it, the final years of the 4th Gen Camaro will get mid to upper 20's on the freeway with the 6-speed manual trans. That got me looking into the '05-'06 LS2 GTO with the M6 trans. These guys are reporting similar MPG numbers as the CTS drivers but with significantly more HP/Torque/performance than I'm going to see with a 1LT Camaro. Now that the GTOs are hitting the used car lots, their prices are actually pretty reasonable - $18k to $20k for ones with 25k-36k miles.

Can someone please give me a good reason or two as to why I shouldn't just get a nice used GTO with 400hp and v8 rumble instead of a 1LT Camaro?

Thanks....
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
bourney20

Drives: 67 Camaro Rs
This is what i have been debating back and forth for the last few months get a good looking car (camaro 2lt) or get a gto with 400hp/tq
bourney20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
gtjacket
2G1FT1EW0A9118618

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black/IOM M6
The reason I have no interest in a GTO is because I do not like the appearance. That being said, if you like it than get it. The only person you should care about pleasing is yourself, so do what you think is best.
gtjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtjacket View Post
The reason I have no interest in a GTO is because I do not like the appearance. That being said, if you like it than get it. The only person you should care about pleasing is yourself, so do what you think is best.
Thanks. I can live with the exterior looks of the GTO... to me - it's not ugly, it's just not stunning like the Camaro. At the end of the day, I'm going to spend more time looking at the interior of my car than the outside, so I don't particularly mind the GTO's styling.

The reason I'm looking for input here is because I know there are a number of previous and/or current GTO owners on this site that are looking at the Camaro SS as a replacement and I wanted to get their opinions about the GTO.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
KatarHol

Drives: '04 Mustang GT
Dan Gurney owns or owned a '05 GTO and he said it's as close to a Nextel Cup car for the street as you could get. Oh,he loved it by the way. If that's not a ringing endorsement you could trust,i don't know what is. Get the Goat and make some memories with a memorable car.
KatarHol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
pruettfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
I had a 2004 GTO. I have regretted the day I sold it for the past several years. I love the GTO, they can be had for very good prices and represent a good value. The great part of a GTO is they have depreciated already. Don't get me wrong the Camaro is gonna be great but the GTO is a pretty good deal for what you will pay.
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
I'd say get the 1LT/RS. It's still a kickass ride. As I've said before, if it wasn't for my need to own a V8 before they're gone, I'd get the V6.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #8
diddiyo

Drives: .
1lt, the gto looks like crap.
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #9
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
GTO's are great cars. Their interior is excellent and extremely comfortable. My GTO is the most comfortable car I've ever owned. The 05/06 GTO's all have very supportive leather seats, radio controls on the steering wheel, and a nice sounding 6 disk CD/radio system.

Performance wise: My 06 A4 GTO ran 13.3s - 13.4s its first trip to the track.
For the money, the GTO is probably the best buy out there. As mentioned, you can find a very low mileage 06 GTO for around $20k.

The negatives
1. Skinny tires and wheels. The GTOs rides on 235/40/18 tires. Or 245/40/17s tires. Skinny tires and the lack of room to run wider tires has been a big complaint from GTO owners. To run tires the same size as a Camaro SS run stock (275 series tires on 20'' rims), you would need to modify the suspension and cut/trim the fenders.
2. The A4 Automatic also have really bad weak spots (around 35-45mph) and (70-85mph). From these speeds the car is rather sluggish for a 400hp car.

But other than that, the GTO is a great performance bargin. Look at my sig. My 06 A4 GTO ran 12.9 @ 110 mph with a full exhaust, intake, and a tune.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #10
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Take fuel economy out of the discussion. The 6.0L GTO will not get better mileage than a 3.6L SIDI Camaro. I drove a 6.0L GTO when they first came out and it is not a mileage champ by any means. And if you can find a full size car with 300 HP that gets substantially better than 19 - 21 combined, I'd buy that.

And if you "keep your foot out of it" you will get better than 25 on the highway with the 3.6 in the Camaro, I've done it without keeping my foot out of it.

Now the other issues of used vs. new, V6 vs. V8 those are additional questions. I sure enyoyed that GTO, but I am getting a bigger thrill driving a simple 1LT right now. Not as fast, but just a blast to be in a Camaro. You won't get that feeling in the GTO.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #11
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Take fuel economy out of the discussion. The 6.0L GTO will not get better mileage than a 3.6L SIDI Camaro. I drove a 6.0L GTO when they first came out and it is not a mileage champ by any means. And if you can find a full size car with 300 HP that gets substantially better than 19 - 21 combined, I'd buy that.

And if you "keep your foot out of it" you will get better than 25 on the highway with the 3.6 in the Camaro, I've done it without keeping my foot out of it.

Now the other issues of used vs. new, V6 vs. V8 those are additional questions. I sure enyoyed that GTO, but I am getting a bigger thrill driving a simple 1LT right now. Not as fast, but just a blast to be in a Camaro. You won't get that feeling in the GTO.
Yeah I was having similair thoughts regarding how to answer this. Also, even though you said looks is not an issue, I can't help but think you would sometimes rather see a great looking Camaro in your garage.
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #12
fuffl

Drives: #3124!!!
I currently drive a GTO and will be trading it on a new Camaro SS. However, this is purely a trade of style over substance. I think the GTO is ugly. But honestly, the quality of the interior shames anything at this price point. Very rich grained leather that is soft and supportive, and covers all interior surfaces...

If you can take the looks you should get it. At 18-20K they are a steal (and you'll find one cheaper if you look hard).
fuffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #13
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

Glad to hear from you Number 3. You are one of the few people that could really compare the two cars based on experience. All the rest of us are comparing the GTO to specs on the Camaro for now.

I have a feeling that I won't be able to make this decision until I actually get to drive the Camaro. And if I do that, I'm sure I will be leaving the dealership with either the keys or at least an order. Maybe that's why I'm trying to decide on the GTO before I test drive a Camaro.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:28 PM   #14
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
GTO's are great cars. Their interior is excellent and extremely comfortable. My GTO is the most comfortable car I've ever owned. The 05/06 GTO's all have very supportive leather seats, radio controls on the steering wheel, and a nice sounding 6 disk CD/radio system.

Performance wise: My 06 A4 GTO ran 13.3s - 13.4s its first trip to the track.
For the money, the GTO is probably the best buy out there. As mentioned, you can find a very low mileage 06 GTO for around $20k.

The negatives
1. Skinny tires and wheels. The GTOs rides on 235/40/18 tires. Or 245/40/17s tires. Skinny tires and the lack of room to run wider tires has been a big complaint from GTO owners. To run tires the same size as a Camaro SS run stock (275 series tires on 20'' rims), you would need to modify the suspension and cut/trim the fenders.
2. The A4 Automatic also have really bad weak spots (around 35-45mph) and (70-85mph). From these speeds the car is rather sluggish for a 400hp car.

But other than that, the GTO is a great performance bargin. Look at my sig. My 06 A4 GTO ran 12.9 @ 110 mph with a full exhaust, intake, and a tune.
Thanks for the input. Your comments match up with what I've been reading about the GTO. I'd have to get the M6 instead of the A4.