Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-16-2014, 07:36 PM   #43
BlackoutLFX

Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsusmithc2 View Post
Ah yes, "ram air". I don't know where I saw this origionally, perhaps on C5 somewhere, but every time I hear the term "ram air" I think of this:

http://www.paladinmicro.com/documents/RamAirMyth.pdf

In other words, there's no such thing. The benefit to any of our cold air intakes is 1) cold air and 2) less restriction. No matter what you do, there's no ramming of any air going on unless you can manage to go really really fast.

Not saying the Vararam is no good, I'm sure it'll be great, just saying there's no such thing as ram air on cars.

Not sure I agree 100 on this....here is another thread talking about it.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/...ience-guy-here!
Nytrex 100 hp nitrous triple threat system, NytrexAccu-pressure bottle heater, HP tuners, K&N Typhoon CAI, MACE 6mm MI, Solo Performance high flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder cat back exhaust system, BMR subframe connectors, BMR tunnel brace, BMR lowering springs, BMR Xtreme Anti-roll bar rear, Hotchkins Strut brace, SS/LS3 3.45 LSD, Axles, and hubs, Elite Engineering catch can, B&M Supercooler transmission cooler, FTI 3200 Stall.
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #44
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionick View Post
Awesome!! Basically, it won't work due to the MAF sensor and the radiator, correct? Or am I wrong?
The MAF sensor, the radiator cap, and potentially where it hooks up to the intake... I have already made some plastic MAF blocks that will fit the LFX MAF sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I have no clue how you will do this, but more power to ya! lol.

If you alter the intake shape much at all you'll change the characteristics. I religiously read the original vararam thread when it was released for the older V6 models and it was really surprising at how they said such a small change to the intake made a difference.
This may be true... It may or may not work well at all, but I figured, what the hell?

I tend to lean toward ram air being a myth.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:02 PM   #45
BlackoutLFX

Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
I think the way Pontiac branded/named the Ram Air system confuses people into thinking it is a fi system. I do know that it takes advantage of differences in atmospheric air pressure on different surfaces of the car's body. It doesn't ram air into the engine like a sc or t. I think the main reasons for gains in hp gain with these systems are, 1 cooler inlet charge temps, 2 straight shot to the tb. 3 fine tuning inlet charge. Regardless if these "ram air" systems really work...they are really really cool. My favorite ram air system was on the 70-1 ram air cars...had a vacuum ativated solenoid hook to a throttle blade type system in the shaker...It would pop open when you floored it, so freaking cool.
Nytrex 100 hp nitrous triple threat system, NytrexAccu-pressure bottle heater, HP tuners, K&N Typhoon CAI, MACE 6mm MI, Solo Performance high flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder cat back exhaust system, BMR subframe connectors, BMR tunnel brace, BMR lowering springs, BMR Xtreme Anti-roll bar rear, Hotchkins Strut brace, SS/LS3 3.45 LSD, Axles, and hubs, Elite Engineering catch can, B&M Supercooler transmission cooler, FTI 3200 Stall.
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:00 AM   #46
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Vararam's marketing has not done them any favors with me (and others), touting "ram air" and some ridiculous HP claims.

However, I will admit that the LLT and V8 versions are on par performance-wise with the other top cai brands out there. If priced appropriately, I'm sure the LFX version will be a popular choice... That is IF it comes out.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #47
bionick

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
For real they claim like 30+hp on the LLT lol.
From what I have read, the dyno doesn't show what the vararam can truly do while on the road so I wonder how they get these high numbers and why they claim it asides from more customers thinking "WHOAH 30 HP INCREASE". A lot of people just read the rated HP and buy it, for example throttle body spacers
Old 01-17-2014, 05:53 PM   #48
911medic

Quote:
From what I have read, the dyno doesn't show what the vararam can truly do while on the road so I wonder how they get these high numbers and why they claim it asides from more customers thinking "WHOAH 30 HP INCREASE". A lot of people just read the rated HP and buy it, for example throttle body spacers
Yes I've seen a lot of "the dyno doesn't reflect the Vararam's capabilities" comments, and maybe they're true.

But why then in big red letters on the Camaro V8 product page does it say "on the dyno" after their HP claims?

This kind of contradictory statement is a big turn off as well.

Vararam has a loyal fan base here, so I'm sure the product works, or people wouldn't keep buying and recommending them. But no way you get a 10% HP increase, IMO.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
Old 01-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #49
bionick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Yes I've seen a lot of "the dyno doesn't reflect the Vararam's capabilities" comments, and maybe they're true.

But why then in big red letters on the Camaro V8 product page does it say "on the dyno" after their HP claims?

Vararam has a loyal fan base here, so I'm sure the product works, or people wouldn't keep buying and recommending them. But no way you get a 10% HP increase, IMO.
Yeah true.
It must be good though because I've never read a negative post about it so we will see
Old 01-17-2014, 06:17 PM   #50
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
For real they claim like 30+hp on the LLT lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post

I feel like the vararam CAN dyno well if done on a dyno with a good fan that pushes air into the system as it would on the road, b/c I've seen great dynos with the Vararam and not so great. In fact, I saw one dyno where it showed a 25HP gain after the unit was installed in back to back runs which was pretty damned amazing. Was it an accurate reading? Hell if I know.

I'll refer back to the old Vararam thread that many of you here likely didn't see, but they claimed they could alter the vararam to perform better on the dyno, or better on the street and so of course they went with the design they felt performed better on the street. They used some kind of equipment to monitor certain things will testing their units on the road and that is how they came up with the final design. What they did I can't really tell you any more.

All I know is it beats the heck out of stock, and it beat the heck out of my AirRaid system.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #51
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
the ram air i had on my WS6 i feel was functional, it was at least pulling air from outside the car rather then from the engine compartment. the ram air hoods for the 5th gen would be useless with stock and a lot of aftermarket intakes since they have covers on them. in the pic with the hood up you can see the air intake is right under the SLP lid.
Attached Images

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:05 PM   #52
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Just sent payment for this slightly messed up LLT VR intake...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...92&postcount=1

This is what brought on the sudden idea to attempt to mount it to the LFX. It was so cheap that if I failed... I'd be ok with it, because trying to make it work is half the fun. Fingers crossed that it shows up so I can take a crack at making it fit an LFX engine. If I feel it performs well, I will be taking it with me when I head up to the dyno to test a variety of different goodies (it could be one of 4 cold air intakes to be tested if it's worth a damn after modifying it)...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:47 AM   #53
bionick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post

This is what brought on the sudden idea to attempt to mount it to the LFX. It was so cheap that if I failed... I'd be ok with it, because trying to make it work is half the fun. Fingers crossed that it shows up so I can take a crack at making it fit an LFX engine. If I feel it performs well, I will be taking it with me when I head up to the dyno to test a variety of different goodies (it could be one of 4 cold air intakes to be tested if it's worth a damn after modifying it)...
Very nice! Keep us posted!
Old 01-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #54
djcfuzz
Do somethin fun every day

Drives: 2012 45th V6 RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post

Sounds like a good project. Let us know.
djcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:20 PM   #55
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Haven't seen anything but like they said around February so keep an eye out on their website. You'd think they would be promoting it since it's already half way through January but who knows!
Agreeeeeeeeddd!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #56
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I feel like the vararam CAN dyno well if done on a dyno with a good fan that pushes air into the system as it would on the road, b/c I've seen great dynos with the Vararam and not so great. In fact, I saw one dyno where it showed a 25HP gain after the unit was installed in back to back runs which was pretty damned amazing. Was it an accurate reading? Hell if I know.

I'll refer back to the old Vararam thread that many of you here likely didn't see, but they claimed they could alter the vararam to perform better on the dyno, or better on the street and so of course they went with the design they felt performed better on the street. They used some kind of equipment to monitor certain things will testing their units on the road and that is how they came up with the final design. What they did I can't really tell you any more.

All I know is it beats the heck out of stock, and it beat the heck out of my AirRaid system.
Well, for sure the most important thing is that you're happy with it. If you're enjoying the product and don't feel you paid too much, then it was worth it.

There can be no arguing that!

Tags
intake, lfx camaro, ram, vararam