Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
CamaroRunsDeep
My 4th Camaro since 1981

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS Vert 6M
I thought I was one of the lucky ones........

Not now! I have had wear marks on my 2011 Convertible top but nothing serious, until today. I now have a hole on my passenger side top. I took it to the dealer and they said it would be replaced under warranty, but I have a couple of issues. I want this to be a one and done replacement not the horror of two or three replacements. So my questions are as follows:

1) Why don't they automatically replace the top, mechanicals and water bag at the same time? My dealer said they would start with the top and disassemble the other stuff to "see" if it needs replacing also.

2) Why would GM not want to take care of everything at once.

3) Can the GM guy/woman on this forum chime in and let me know if I can get it all done at the same time.

I have an extended warranty and a body systems warranty through gm.

Thanks for any help, comments and assistance before I leave the car to get done. L.P.

UpDATE: I am one of the lucky ones again, thanks to Mall Chevy in Cherry Hill NJ and my GM warranty!

Last edited by CamaroRunsDeep; 07-21-2013 at 02:37 PM.
CamaroRunsDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
I had my top replaced a few months ago and the dealership did a good job with the new canvas. I have had to take it back in a couple of times for adjustments but nothing serious. I think the 2013 top is a good fix and you will probably be happy with it if the dealership knows what they are doing.
To answer your other question, I don't believe GM will invest any more money in the fix than they need to. It would be like asking them to replace the alternator, tensioner pulley and belt just because they took them off to get to the water pump. They just won't do it. Not everyone that has had issues with the top has had issues with the waterbag and mechanism. Tbh, my main concern now is with the 5th bow breaking because I am almost out of my 36k warranty.

Good luck with the fix and I look forward to hearing about the results.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
If you read the fine print on your extended warranty, you will find that only th 'mechanicals' are covered on your top, not the canvas itself.
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
CamaroRunsDeep
My 4th Camaro since 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragtopguy View Post
If you read the fine print on your extended warranty, you will find that only th 'mechanicals' are covered on your top, not the canvas itself.
You are exactly right. I am aware of that and why I requested that GM supply me (which they did) with a Body Systems warranty which will cover the top and accessories for 5 years/60k miles.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Smart move!!!

Phillies Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie and Chevrolet!!!!
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroRunsDeep View Post
Not now! I have had wear marks on my 2011 Convertible top but nothing serious, until today. I now have a hole on my passenger side top. I took it to the dealer and they said it would be replaced under warranty, but I have a couple of issues. I want this to be a one and done replacement not the horror of two or three replacements. So my questions are as follows:

1) why don't they automatically replace the top, mechanicals and water bag at the same time? My dealer said they would start with the top and disassemble the other stuff to "see" if it need replacing also.

2) Why would GM not want to take care of everything at once.

3) Can the GM guy/woman on this forum chime in and let me know if I can get it all done at the same time.

I have and extended warranty and a body systems warranty through gm.

Thanks for any help, comments and assistance before I leave the car to get done. L.P.
With that logic, why don't they just replace the entire car. Who knows what else might go wrong with the car if the problems start with the top?

Not gonna happen.

They're obligated to fix any current problems/issues only, and not to repair/replace something just because it 'might' be an issue down the road.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
CamaroRunsDeep
My 4th Camaro since 1981

Ridiculous

HDRDTD Who asked for the entire car to be replaced?

I have read too many posts about tops being replaced only to have the original mechanicals be the problem and cost another top replacement etc. I have also read about too many issues with the water bag management system going bad after a top has been replaced. Unfortunately this is not a perfect science with trim shops doing the replacements for the dealers and dealerships learning on the fly. Seems to me that these three things go hand in hand and have cost many more repairs and time being away from enjoying the vehicles. That is why I asked these questions!
Old 07-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
CamaroRunsDeep
My 4th Camaro since 1981

Goes in Tomorrow morning

Convertible top being replaced starting tomorrow. Let you know how I make out. Mall Chevy in Cherry Hill NJ. Fingers crossed.....
Old 07-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Convertible top being replaced starting tomorrow. Let you know how I make out. Mall Chevy in Cherry Hill NJ. Fingers crossed.....
Indeed,

I will be in touch as well!

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
People are complaining that they don't replace the whole mechanism because they did it on the 4th gens. If there was a problem, car went in, unbolted from the car and removed, new top with mechanism put in place and cables hooked back up. It was a couple hour process and had a high satisfaction rate. GM is just trying to cheap out on the 5th gens. All it is doing is causing more problems and pissed off customers of their 40 thousand dollar car that doesn't perform as it should. IMO personally, I really am surprised someone hasn't filed suit for breech of implied warranty on these cars.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #11
Lemon Drop

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Yellow Convertible
Thanks for the info!

Quote:
You are exactly right. I am aware of that and why I requested that GM supply me (which they did) with a Body Systems warranty which will cover the top and accessories for 5 years/60k miles.
Thank you so much for posting this! I'll be asking for a Body Systems warranty as well. I found a hole in my top on the passenger side, right above the back quarter panel, yesterday afternoon.

I thought I was one of the lucky ones since I'd not had a problem in 23,000 miles, but apparently not!

Anyway, I stopped by the dealer before the service department closed last night and the manager took one look and said they'd replace the top no problem since it's under warranty. They've done a few others in the past for the same problem and have had good success.

My dealer has been great so far (Roy Robinson Chev in Marysville, WA). I had a number of issues at the beginning - a radio that's needed replacing twice, a problem with the shifter, a rattle in the top after having the TSB done that took 6 months find and turned out to be a spring that was routed wrong, both back window regulators have been replaced (at different times, of course), and the seat belt on the driver's side had to be replaced most recently. Now this!

I hope everything goes well with your replacement!!!!!
Lemon Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
CamaroRunsDeep
My 4th Camaro since 1981

Thanks for the good wishes

Maybe done today, and they are replacing the water bag too. Hopefully the car is perfect when I get it back....
Old 07-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
Poohbear

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Hope it dont but from my experience this is the start of a lot of pain good luck though
Poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
CamaroRunsDeep
My 4th Camaro since 1981

It will be 8 days tomorrow...

Water bag was changed, had to order & replace bows, now I am told that rear window seals had to be ordered and replaced. As I stated in the beginning of this thread why do they waste time and just replace it all from the get go instead of dragging out. Hope I can get it tomorrow......